Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 3:26:23 AM EDT
I have just received orders to Seymour Johnson AFB.  Was my Number 1 choice, so I am elated.

What can you tell me about the area?  Good places to live, and buy a house.  I have two elementary aged sons, and I want them in a good school.  Low crime area is a plus.

I also am seeking any information about hunting, fishing and other outdoor stuff to do.

Thanks

Glockster35

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Down 70 and you are at the coast (Morehead City) and into some great saltwater fishing.

Sorry I don't know too much about the Goldsboro/Lenoir County area. I only pass through it on my way to Morehead City/Atlantic Beach/Beaufort.

CRC
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've lived in Kinston for several years. Thats 20 mins from SJAFB. Lagrange is a nice small town between the two. I also know someone that was/is selling a house and 5 acres about 15 mins out of goldsboro.
Not sure about schools, are you thinking public or private?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I live less than an hour from Goldsboro.  Eastern NC is not known for quality public schools.

On the upside, tyou shouldn;t have a problem finding a place to hunt, lots of clubs you can join.

Hotter than hell in the summer, winters are mostly mild.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Goldsboro is the hottest place in NC, temperature wise, in the summer.
it will be 15 deg hotter , dont know why .

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I am also here at SJ.  There are several nice sub-divisions just north of town that many of people from base live and are within about a 20min drive.  Those also tend to be in the best school districts as well.  Goldsboro is in a pretty good location, roughly one hour from the coast and 2-3 hours from the mountains,  Uwharrie (which you will hear a lot about if you hang out in this forum much), is about 150 mi away and has a decent shooting range, a nice lake, camping and hunting.  Just shoot me an email and I will be glad to give you any other questions you have, thanks,
Dusten
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Northern Wayne County is the way to go for both housing and education.  Stay OUT of the City for housing/schools.

I lived there for about 10 years, graduated from CB Aycock High School.  A few people will fuss about Eastern NC and the Goldsboro area, but living and growing up there were the best parts of my before marriage life.

Over all, it's a speck of a town.  Not much of a night life off base.  Economy is somewhat depressed.  You'll probably spend more time in Greenville/Wilson/Raleigh for your entertainment needs.

If you need any more info, let me know  ([email protected]).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the information.

As far as moving into a place north of the city, what are the city names we should be considering.  Or schools in particular.

I have a few months, and am trying to get things straight before the move, when we will be in a bind to hurry and get a place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The schools up in the northern edge of the county are good.  The towns tend to be fairly small, so if you're looking for "big town goodness" such as an Applebee's within a couple miles of your house, you may want to look elsewhere.  Few town names - - - Fremont (not bad, but you might want to keep lookin'), Pikeville, Nahunta (teeeeeny tiny), Belfast.  

All in all, it'll ultimately what you feel you need to be "near".  For small town cozy that's not 1200 miles from the necessary haunts, the Northern end is very doable.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top