Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
www.gftc.com/index.htm
I went a long time ago.I hope that they have improved it since then.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:23:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:27:00 PM EDT
it wasn't really a bad range - they had nice benches and covered shooting area. a little too close to the highway for my tastes but there was a good tree/woods screen parallel between the range and the road on the right side.

biggest problem was no range officer or oversight by anyone - not always an issue but there were times a bunch of yahoo's would be there and it would be time to leave.

hope they spruced it up and it runs well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:30:15 PM EDT
No range officer, no go. Had way too many close calls before they closed up and I finally quit going out there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:08:42 PM EDT
the pops and I used to go way back in the day (90s), decent enough, never ran into any trouble or recklessness.

I'm glad they reopened, the more options the better, and besides, maybe it will keep a few crazies away from our beloved (and free!) Flintlock Valley
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:25:04 AM EDT
I live pretty close to there. Does anyone know if the fee structure is the same as at the GFTC?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:33:23 PM EDT
Talked to them today. There will be an hourly fee. No membership required until they move the entire operation out there. Forgot to ask about a range master.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:28:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By REELDOC:
Talked to them today. There will be an hourly fee. No membership required until they move the entire operation out there. Forgot to ask about a range master.

they are going to move the entire shop out there?

what was the owners name again?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:34:18 AM EDT
I just got back from visiting the place. Chatted with the owner a bit. Didn't get his name, because I'm an idiot and forgot to ask. Was hoping to get some shooting in, but it was pouring. Call me a wuss. :)

Anyway, the place is gorgeous. It's 100 yard range, there's 10 firing positions each with a concrete shooting bench and a target stand. The entire firing area is on a concrete slab that sits a few feet higher than the targets, so you're actually shooting down into the berm. This should cure the supposed ricochet problems that caused the previous owners to ban FMJ rifle ammo. (I was never convinced it was an issue, but whatever, it was their range, their rules! The current owner isn't gonna have such a ban). The owner's had a zillion loads of gravel spread out to help control the mud situation. But for now, bring boots.

The bad news is, some killjoy has filed a zoning appeal, after Yadkin Co. approved his permit and he'd already sunk a fortune into range improvements. So the whole operation is up in the air until about the end of Feb, when he expects the court to issue a ruling. That's why he's not doing memberships at the moment, even though he'd like it to be a member's only club.

FWIW, I'm gonna get out there as much as I can. I know $10/hr ain't a lot, but it's better than nothing. Hope to see y'all out there!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:43:47 PM EDT
Did you ask about a range master?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:31:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By REELDOC:
Did you ask about a range master?

I did not, sorry. I'll be heading back to try and get some shooting in either tomorrow or thurs, will try and remember to ask then.

The two guys I saw there were all doing construction work, so I presume it will be self policing for the time being.

But come on, it can't be any worse than Uwharrie on a saturday afternoon. :)
Top Top