Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 8:03:10 AM EDT
The Wildlife Commission is holding public hearings for input on repealing the Sunday ban for hunting, in addition to about 54 other different proposals.
From http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/outdoors/13576831.htm
And pasted below:
Report to study Sunday hunting138-year-old law 1 of several to get a look
JACK HORAN Special Correspondent

It's never on Sunday so far as hunting goes in North Carolina.
But the legislature could decide to relax or repeal the 138-year-old law.
Gov. Mike Easley and legislators have asked the Wildlife Resources Commission to study the Sunday-hunting ban. A report is to be sent to the 2007 legislature for possible action.
Beginning this week, sportsmen and women will get an opportunity to indicate in a public forum their views on Sunday hunting.
Commission officials, at statewide hearings on proposed fishing, hunting and trapping regulations, will sample opinion about the controversial issue that divides hunters themselves. The 7 p.m. hearings nearest Charlotte are Thursday at South Stanly High School in Norwood and Jan. 17 in the Morganton Municipal Auditorium.
"All we plan to do is to ask hearing attendees informally, probably just a show of hands, how they stand on Sunday hunting," said commission spokesman Brad Deen in Raleigh. "For a couple of reasons, we don't want these public hearings to turn into a forum on Sunday hunting."
Deen said the purpose of the hearings is to solicit public comments on the proposed regulations.
North Carolina is one of eight states that ban Sunday hunting, according to the National Rifle Association's Web site. Even falconers who don't use weapons cannot fly their hawks to catch game animals such as squirrels or rabbits on Sundays. South Carolina allows hunting on private lands on Sunday for most game.
Attempts to repeal the ban partly or completely have failed since 1995. Groups that include the Family Policy Council and the N.C. Farm Bureau oppose repeal. A 2005 bill to study Sunday hunting on a limited number of state game lands didn't get out of committee. N.C. gun hunting seasons run six months a year.
The proposals, among others, would:
• Open spring turkey season each year on April 10, or April 9 when the 10th falls on a Sunday.
• Ban the importation of certain deer, elk and moose parts from other states to protect N.C. deer from chronic wasting disease.
• Replace the 20-inch minimum length for striped bass in Lake Norman with a 16-inch minimum length from May 1-Oct. 1 and no minimum length from June 1-Sept. 30.
• Set a 20-fish-per-day creel limit for crappie on Lake Rhodhiss and Lake Hickory.
• Prohibit the possession of river herring above Rhodhiss Dam on the Catawba River.
For a complete list, see www.ncwildlife.org/.

Hearings to be held at:
Mon, Jan. 9 4 Elizabethtown 7 PM
Bladen County Courthouse

Wed, Jan. 11 5 Graham 7 PM
Alamance County Courthouse

Thurs, Jan. 12 6 Norwood 7 PM
South Stanly High School

Tues, Jan. 17 8 Morganton 7 PM
Morganton Municipal Auditorium

Wed, Jan. 18 9 Sylva 7 PM
Southwest Community College

Thurs, Jan. 19 7 Boonville 7 PM
Starmount High School

Tues, Jan. 24 1 Edenton 7 PM
Swain Auditorium

Wed, Jan. 25  2 New Bern 7 PM
Craven County Courthouse

Thurs, Jan. 26 3 Louisburg 7 PM
Annex Building,
District Court Room

Return to Top

Return to News/Press Releases

NC Wildlife Home
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
With the season so long here in eastern NC.

I just don’t see the need to open up Sundays also.

I work Monday-Saturday, plus it'd give me a chance to duck out early on sats and make it a camp and hunt trip. Keeping it closed on Sundays makes no sense at all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Keeping it closed on Sundays makes no sense at all.

None whatsoever.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
See www.ncdeer.net  for sunday hunting info.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. Also a petition is available to be signed online. www.sundayhuntingnc.com/petition1.php
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
What would be the added cost? Game wardens maybe having to work an extra day, or take off a day during the week? Granted, I do not work for them, but I was very surprised that you cannot hunt on Sundays here--and as I asked around with people at work and also people I work with, many have not bought a license in the past year (or years) as they were not able to hunt (working six days a week)--I can see some kind of a possibilty of an increase in license sales by allowing hunting any day of the week.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well you can bet if they do open it up on sunday it is going to cost something.

The big question is what and how much.

So how much would you pay to hunt on sunday?

See the reply by Ed Phillips here
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With the season so long here in eastern NC.

I just don’t see the need to open up Sundays also.

Well when you only get one day a week to hunt(Saturday)IF I'm not doing soccer,basketball with the kids.Sunday would be perfect.
They could shorten the season or lower the number of deer taken I wouldn't care.It would give me and my sons a better chance to be in the woods together.
Especialy since I have to drive over an hour to get to where I hunt.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
GLOCK-23--My feelings exactly!! Saturdays are pretty much screwed for me, unless I can duck out early, and if I do not work on sats, then buildings and homes and other developments take longer to go up.

My son and daughter would rather hunt with me on a Sunday rather than do something else.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Tuesday, open Sunday

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Why have *any* days closed at all??
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#14]
private and game lands
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I imagine the Sunday hunting ban is a legacy of the obsolete blue law system. It would make sense if the blue laws were still in place, but they've been repealed for years now. I see no reason to ban hunting on Sundays now.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad I'm in SC!  We can hunt any day of the week and hunt from September 1 to January 1!  As to the comment about dogs and over hunting....that is a complete misrepresentation as to what happens!  
We in SC around the PeeDee region hunt very hard: Dogs, guns, bows, blackpowder, nightvision, cars, you name it we do it!  I must say when everyone use to hunt dogs there was more deer activities during huntable hours the entire season.  Since most of the larger clubs have been disassembled deer only seem to follow the pattern metioned above half of the season.  During the second half of the season when tree cover begins to fall the deer become more nocternal.  When before they were forced to move.  One would think that when they are forced to move they would revert to the nocternal nature, when nothing can be further from the truth.  The deer that are run by dogs are not, not going to come back to where they came from.  If a deer is jumped by a pack of dogs and ran 5miles chances are within 24 hours that deer will be back to she same area in which it came from.  Barring it is a buck that is in rut and chasing does in the first place.  If that is the case he wouldn't have stayed in the area you saw him anyway.  Once run off he will simply pick up and continue his hunt for does!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top