Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 2:23:44 PM EDT
This seems to come up from time to time so here we go. I've shot a lot of these things and help run a monthly match so I think I might know what I'm talking about.

1. Read the rules! For the most part there is no standard set, so everybody's different. This can save you a lot of grief. Also, how physical the match is plays a part in equipment selection as well.

2. Holster, something that will securely hold the weapon. If you shoot IDPA, then the same gear will probably work. I prefer a Safariland b/c I shoot matches with multi-gun stages where we reholster a hot pistol. The retention makes me warm and fuzzy. Watching someone reholster a hot gun into a nylon leg rig doesn't do much for me.

3. Mag pouches. Pistol pouches are mandatory. You can usually get by with a cinch-mag for most rifle stages. If nothing else put a spare in your back pocket.

4. Slings. Depends on the match but better to have it than not. You can always take it off.

5. Knee pads and such. Again, depends on the match but they can be nice to have. Long pants, wear 'em. Temperature be dammned.

As far as weapons go I will make no recomendations(glock, ar, benelli) except that they need to work. And YOU need to know how to make them run. I've seen a lot of strange manipulations.

I see a lot of people seemingly afraid of showing up with the wrong gear. News flash, shooters win matches, not guns and gear! Go and check out a match and ask questions. If there is one thing we all love to do its extoll the virtues of our latest purchase. Then you can make an informed decision instead of going off what someone who has never been to a match says. You are not going to win the first match you go to no matter what you buy.  When you do buy something(and you most certainly will) buy quality gear. If noone else seems to be using it, hmmm maybe it not that good. There are points to be bought in this sport but the skills have to be there.

Also, unless it's a part of your duty gear, if it doesn't help you shoot faster and more efficently then it has no place on your person. I see a lot of rambo knives and whatnot. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

Hopefully this will be of some value to somebody. This is a great sport and a lot of fun. Good luck and good shooting, Gary Byerly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Im in Winston Salem area. Any 3 gun near anough  for me to check out ? TIA, WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Course of fire?

Hate to sound ignorant but what is the course of fire? Would like to attend one this spring between the Butner matches.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Gary,
 Exactly what I wanted to know.
So IDPA gear, a rifle & a spare
rifle mag or two?
The big question. Is a semi rifle, OK?
Thanks!

DOC,  COF is the sequence of targets
you shoot at any match.

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Semi is pretty much required at every match I've been to. Plus, you don't want to be cranking off rounds everywhere. That could mean extra reloads which mean more time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Semi is pretty much required at every match I've been to. Plus, you don't want to be cranking off rounds everywhere. That could mean extra reloads which mean more time.

Frank told me that if you've got something full auto (legally possessed of course), you can use it in his matches, but that there's seldom an advantage.  If you can afford it, and get the approval in NC, he doesn't mind letting you use it.  I don't know about anywhere else.  It would make limited stages very tricky.    

He also told me about a group of blackwater guys that brought suppressed subguns a few years ago.  The guns were too quiet to activate the timer.  Didn't help them a whole hell of a lot.  

There is one guy who does reasonably well using a levergun, but he is the exception not the rule.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to make sure that
semi's were OK. I haven't gone
down the C3 path yet, and I may
never. Too much money to buy &
then to feed.
 I'm looking forward to this summer's
activities!
Thanks for the input!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
9mm CX4 Storm vs Bushy XM15e2s

Which would be better for the course?

I have been looking into compitition shooting for a hobby, and trying to find where I should go.  But it will be after I find out if surgery will be needed or not on my shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#9]
90% of the shooters shoot .223 with the exception of a few who shoot .308 because of not as many rounds required on target for a major caliber. 9mm is fine for CQB but on targets where  accuracy and distance are required they are at a dissadvantage. 200+ yards is not uncommon in these matches. As in any match........speed, shooting, reloading, and accuracy is a key factor. Practice 1/2 shot drills with your pistol, rifle, shotgun. Practice transitioning from gun to gun. Also, know how your shotgun will shoot (slugs) at 50 yards. Come try a match and show up to have fun and don't worry where you place.

www.multigun.com/

www.3gungear.com/
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frank told me that if you've got something full auto (legally possessed of course), you can use it in his matches, but that there's seldom an advantage.  If you can afford it, and get the approval in NC, he doesn't mind letting you use it.  I don't know about anywhere else.  It would make limited stages very tricky.    

He also told me about a group of blackwater guys that brought suppressed subguns a few years ago.  The guns were too quiet to activate the timer.  Didn't help them a whole hell of a lot.  

There is one guy who does reasonably well using a levergun, but he is the exception not the rule.  

Yep.

Kyle brings FA occassionally too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top