Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 5:37:35 AM EDT by Slacker]
"Any person who has a concealed handgun permit...shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer."

--> What is approached or addressed?
The answer seems obvious however, interpetation can differ greatly.
If you're in an elevator and an LEO gets on and you nod to each other, have you been approached or addressed?
If you're waved through a DL checkpoint, have you been approached or addressed?
If you ask a LEO for directions...have you been approached or addressed?
If a LEO is yelling over a loudspeaker at a group your in, are you being addressed?

Yes, I'm playing devils advocate here...but I feel this could be an interesting discussion with many different opinions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:44:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:29 AM EDT
very ambiguous scenarios you have there.

If you're in an elevator and an LEO gets on and you nod to each other, have you been approached or addressed?

i would say no, unless he starts asking you for papers, or starts up a conversation, but there is no cause.

If you're waved through a DL checkpoint, have you been approached or addressed?

the key word here is "waved." Every check point I have seen or gone through I was never "waved" through. I was always stopped, so yes.

If you ask a LEO for directions...have you been approached or addressed?

you are approaching and addressing. The law implies when you are approached or addressed. so no

If a LEO is yelling over a loudspeaker at a group your in, are you being addressed?

no, the LEO is being general, but if he came to you individually, yes. I mean what are you going to do? Raise your hand and yell over a crowd of people and say "officer here is my permit and ID"?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:05:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 7:04:52 AM EDT by Slacker]

Originally Posted By jmzd4:
no, the LEO is being general, but if he came to you individually, yes. I mean what are you going to do? Raise your hand and yell over a crowd of people and say "officer here is my permit and ID"?

Sounds rediculus I know, but there are some who would say your example of yelling over the crowd to be correct, if it suited thier agenda! Interpetation of the law's intent is what gets joe CCW holder thrown into the clink...when he or she tried to do right!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:33:51 AM EDT
"Approached" I think, is self explanatory.
"Addressed" would probably cover any time you seek the help/advice from an LEO or they come to you for something. I would say any time you deal with an LEO in an "Official Capacity".
(did I pass?)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:05:52 PM EDT
One on one contact of an offical nature.

Top Top