Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 9:19:31 AM EDT
The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission has introduced a proposal for public comment on establishing regulations for shooting ranges on game lands. Text as follows:

"H18. Establish conditions regulating the use of shooting ranges located on stateowned
game lands.

Justification: This rule would establish safety and management restrictions for
shooting ranges on state-owned game lands."

Please go here to find out how you can comment on this proposal.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/index.htm

Click on 'Hunting, fishing proposals to get public review'

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ncwildlife.org/index.htm

Here is the link hot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up CRC.  Some interesting stuff in there.  I'm a city slicker myself so I don't know which critters I'd want to hunt when with what, but I don't the sounds of these:  

"H17. Make it unlawful to possess a loaded firearm or have an arrow out of the quiver and nocked on game land safety zones.
Justification: This proposal will help enforce safety restrictions in Game Land Safety Zones."

"H20. Make it unlawful to possess a loaded firearm in a motorized vehicle on game lands.
Justification: This proposal would minimize some safety hazards associated with having loaded firearms in vehicles on game lands."

Now I'm all for safety, but I don't see how my holstered pistol is a safety issue as I drive through game lands (there's lots of them) on my way to/from the range/beach/highway.  

I'd like to see additional shooting ranges added here:
"H18. Establish conditions regulating the use of shooting ranges located on stateowned
game lands.
Justification: This rule would establish safety and management restrictions for
shooting ranges on state-owned game lands."
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Does that mean they would put ranges on game lands? If so I'm all for it because I got 2 tickets 2 months ago, one for target shooting and one for havine a rifle larger than .22 cal in the off season (my AK). A city cop said I could and the game wardern said no.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
At the very least, you could fill out the comment form online referencing the section on ranges, and request more be built.  I'm going to do that.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You can comment on the shooting range proposal by following the link.

You can either send a letter or fill out the online comment form or attend a local meeting
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The online comment thing didn't work. I got a server message error when I tried to send comments.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
New ranges would be good, but I am more concerned about the additional restrictions on firearms on gamelands. Explain this, I can carry a concealed handgun in the mall and walmart but not in my vehicle while driving on dirt roads in the woods? Or how about this I'm "allowed" to carry while walking down the street in the middle of downtown Raleigh but not carry while in the middle of nowhere in BFE in the mountains. The wildlife commission has effectively overruled our states CHP.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
New ranges would be good, but I am more concerned about the additional restrictions on firearms on gamelands. Explain this, I can carry a concealed handgun in the mall and walmart but not in my vehicle while driving on dirt roads in the woods? Or how about this I'm "allowed" to carry while walking down the street in the middle of downtown Raleigh but not carry while in the middle of nowhere in BFE in the mountains. The wildlife commission has effectively overruled our states CHP.

Thta's the point that needs to be made to the NC WRC!  Let them know, either at one of the meetings, or the online comment thing.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
LeeF that is my take too.

No CCW on gamelands or roads through game lands.

What about I-40 on Old Fort Mountain McDowell County passing through the Pisgah Game Lands near the top there?

Or US 70 going through the Croatan at Havelock?

You must lock up your gun through there??
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I've already filled out the online comment and sent it on its way. The point really needs to be made on a board like this for all of us not to assume the duck and deer hunters support our CHP and AR rights. Unfortunately I know too many duck hunters that would happily see all handguns and AR/AK's banned. The WRC is a government agency that should be controlled by the voters.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The WRC does listen to people.

That is the purpose of the public meetings every winter.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Note that 99.9% of all National Forest land in NC (all 3.x million acres of it) is Gamelands.

Off to comment...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top