Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 8:10:52 AM EDT
South Carolina?  I just got finished reading a post by a guy in Philly, who didn't draw his weapon, but rather, just put his hand on it and told a person, who was advancing on him with a knife, to not come forward anymore or he would shoot.   The city railroaded this guy and the mayor is after his own political adgenda.  The judge that will be at the trial, is a known anti-gun judge.  I was just wondering what the atmosphere is like in SC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In SC someone coming at you with a knife unprovoked (presuming they are relatively close) justifies the use of deadly force.

Other than that, SC is a shall issue CWP, MG/suppressor/sbr friendly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever heard about hard case judges there?  I don't plan on having to either use or draw my sidearm, but if I HAVE TO, I want to know that the system won't bend me over.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't give you case history, but even here in good old liberal Charlotte, NC using deadly force against a person coming at you with a knife is permissable.
As I understand it, SC is even more tolerant of guns.

Sorry to hear about the altercation.
It's a shame that in some places a fellow can't even defend himself anymore.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
South Carolina=Gun friendly
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember, though that in NC (and probably SC as well) we still have the ridiculous "duty to retreat" before the use of deadly force.  Damn, I hope that Florida law will set a precedent for other states.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Here its pretty much what they determine is reasonable.  As in on the street if someone approaches etc, and you can retreat it may be hard to show why you didn't, prosecuter could go either way (but prob stil in your favor).  But in your home, etc no need.  Because any other REASONABLE person in the same circumstances, with an ARMED intruder in their home capable and possibly willing to due harm to you or your family would hesitate to ventilate!  (That's my little Jessie Jackson rhyme for the civil trial)  

But seriously, in SC under those circumstances, no solicitor would touch you.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Gun Friendly
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here its pretty much what they determine is reasonable.  As in on the street if someone approaches etc, and you can retreat it may be hard to show why you didn't, prosecuter could go either way (but prob stil in your favor).  But in your home, etc no need.  Because any other REASONABLE person in the same circumstances, with an ARMED intruder in their home capable and possibly willing to due harm to you or your family would hesitate to ventilate!  (That's my little Jessie Jackson rhyme for the civil trial)  

But seriously, in SC under those circumstances, no solicitor would touch you.

-Hershey

There's no duty to retreat in one's home in NC either.  The laws are probably VERY similar.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
SC got rid of the one handgun a month rule last year also so now you can buy as many as you like.  If you have a CCW there is no background check otherwise they call it in.  No stupid "pistol permits" or whatever it is that NC requires to be approved by the local PD either.  

We like our guns here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top