Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2003 4:44:09 PM EDT
WAY TO GO GUYS!!!

North Carolina Right to Carry Reciprocity Law In Effect!
On Thursday, August 14, North Carolina's Right to Carry reciprocity law officially went into effect. This law gives valid carry permit holders from states that have similar permit issuing requirements as North Carolina the ability to carry their firearms for personal protection in North Carolina, and has led several states to recognize North Carolina permits. The North Carolina Department of Justice (NCDOJ), headed by Attorney General Roy Cooper (D), has identified the following states as those which have an official reciprocity agreement with North Carolina: Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia. The NCDOJ will continue to develop and maintain the list of states that meet the standards for establishing reciprocal agreements. Those on the Internet can look for updates on reciprocity, as well as regulations regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms, by going to
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/cle/Concealedhandgun.htm. Congratulations to all NRA members in North Carolina who worked so hard to ensure passage of this important NRA-backed reform! Our thanks go out to all lawmakers who voted for SB 33, but be sure to thank those who worked hard to ensure this legislation became law. Those who deserve special thanks are: Sen. Scott Thomas (D-2), the primary sponsor of SB 33; Reps. Mark Hilton (R-88), Michael Gorman (R-3), Pryor Gibson (D-69), and Michael Decker (D-94), who sponsored identical legislation in the House; Reps. James Black (D-100) and Richard Morgan (R-52), the Democrat and Republican Speakers of the House; Senate President Pro Tempore Marc Basnight (D-1); Governor Michael Easley (D); and Attorney General Roy Cooper.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:41:04 AM EDT
Great news.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:07:37 AM EDT
Woo Hooo!

-HS
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:26:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:42:54 AM EDT
Outstanding. About time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:04:03 AM EDT
Awesome!!!!

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:11:10 AM EDT
As an Alabamian with family (whom we visit) in NC, let me just say...

THANK YOU!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:57:36 AM EDT
The link to check the current list of reciprocal states is:

www.jus.state.nc.us

Click on NC Attorney General, select Crime & Law Enforcement, then Concealed Handgun Reciprocity Information.

The site is supposed to be updated periodically when states are added to the list.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:03:13 PM EDT
I just got back from vacation (Ocean Isle Beach) and used my VA CCW permit. Nice to be legal. Never would have thought about carrying without one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:17:50 AM EDT
Yes! SC got added to the list!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:45:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:

Now THAT truly qualifies as a miracle! NC & SC can't ever agree on anything....I thought SC would be the last state allowing CCW to be reciprocal with NC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:12:36 PM EDT
I'll be damned...when did this happen?
I'm very pleased that it has.
I wonder if the Wildlife people can get together on the fishing license at Lake Gaston.

GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:12:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Brohawk:

absolutely awesome!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:57:31 AM EDT
My NC in-laws are here visiting - and are legally armed. AIN'T AMERICA GREAT?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:09:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GLOCK-23:
I'll be damned...when did this happen?
I'm very pleased that it has.
I wonder if the Wildlife people can get together on the fishing license at Lake Gaston.

GLOCK-23

Probably not....since most states will recognize hunting/fishing licenses on lakes bordering on both states, NC & SC won't....

NC has reciprocal agreements with VA, TN, & GA covering officers involved in chases which cross the state lines, but nothing with SC. That is a major PITA for all officers, state & local, in counties bordering on SC. Wish they would do something about that as well.....
Top Top