Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was awesome to meet all of you and form the bonds that only shared hardship can do. Special thanks to @Tree-hugger for bringing the mobile command center chairs and food!

Lessons learned:
1. It gets really dark out in the middle of nowhere around 7:30pm and there is not much signage. Probably should plan next time to arrive in the daylight so I can avoid disturbing the Amish/Mennonites in the dark.
2. We should have a food plan. I had a single burner backpacking stove and some mountain house. Great for being alone in the woods, but if we were relying on that, it would have been a problem.
3. Hills are hard. Hills are fun. Hills go best at the beginning of a hike. The big hill would have been even less fun around mile 5 or mile 9 (lol).
4. Chest rigs (even my cheap condor) are surprisingly comfortable with a pack over top.
5. I liked @shelbysguns suggestion of carrying the slung rifle to the side instead of in-front. It worked well except I bruised my elbow (which I didnt feel) while holding it to the side.
6. Apparently young horses are skittish around moving people. Im not sure how to tell a young horse from an old horse other than looking at it's mouth. So im not certain how this knowledge knows.
7. The people who show up to these events are awesome.
View Quote

1 is easy to fix with Wizard Eyes
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a fantastic time, hopefully it didn't rain on you all.

75lb loadout on 9 miles of hills is tough on the old legs.

What was total distance? Typical loadout in lbs? Time from start to finish?  I'll def try to make the next one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds like a fantastic time, hopefully it didn't rain on you all.

75lb loadout on 9 miles of hills is tough on the old legs.

What was total distance? Typical loadout in lbs? Time from start to finish?  I'll def try to make the next one.
View Quote

We had some light showers move through while in camp prior to starting, but nothing on the hike itself. I would guess that we averaged around 60lbs and we ended up just doing the 6 miles. I have no doubt that we could have made another 3, but it would not have been at the pace we were moving. The steep hills slowed us down to under 3mph in the first two miles and we had to move pretty fast to bring our average time up. My gps track says we were pushing 4mph on the last two miles. We completed 6.09 mi in 1hr and 58 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We had some light showers move through while in camp prior to starting, but nothing on the hike itself. I would guess that we averaged around 60lbs and we ended up just doing the 6 miles. I have no doubt that we could have made another 3, but it would not have been at the pace we were moving. The steep hills slowed us down to under 3mph in the first two miles and we had to move pretty fast to bring our average time up. My gps track says we were pushing 4mph on the last two miles. We completed 6.09 mi in 1hr and 58 minutes.
View Quote

And somehow it was uphill both ways
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks for the info.  Sounds like even my old fat self could keep up that pace maybe

I do love the punishment a good hill provides! Both ways is just a bonus right?  Lol
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Did everyone make the APC time?

Was Leadmine a place we want to meet up again?

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did everyone make the APC time?

Was Leadmine a place we want to meet up again?

View Quote

Yeah, we all made it with at least two minutes to spare. Lead mine was pretty nice certainly and I would not mind doing it again. There was a ton of horse riding people who showed up Saturday morning and we ran into some of them on the trail. The lead rider was all "Whoa! They got Gunz!" so that was fun. We were talking with shelbysguns about doing another meetup camp/potential hike at the private land/range in Iberia, but have not made definite plans yet. My hope is KC, STL, and hopefully even SGF can get rucks together in the immediate future to continue to exercise and get more people involved and ready for the next larger hike.

Im planning on doing another 6 miles this week on an evening in SGF area parks (so no open carry). Any takers? if 6 is too much to start, I will gladly be talked down to 3 .
@Mattgunguy
@HEIT_APDST
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, we all made it with at least two minutes to spare. Lead mine was pretty nice certainly and I would not mind doing it again. There was a ton of horse riding people who showed up Saturday morning and we ran into some of them on the trail. The lead rider was all "Whoa! They got Gunz!" so that was fun. We were talking with shelbysguns about doing another meetup camp/potential hike at the private land/range in Iberia, but have not made definite plans yet. My hope is KC, STL, and hopefully even SGF can get rucks together in the immediate future to continue to exercise and get more people involved and ready for the next larger hike.

Im planning on doing another 6 miles this week on an evening in SGF area parks (so no open carry). Any takers? if 6 is too much to start, I will gladly be talked down to 3 .
@Mattgunguy
@HEIT_APDST
View Quote

Good to hear! Hopefully I can make the next one. I'm bummed I missed out, but needed the family time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
So when do we want to do the next statewide hike? This is prime hiking time in the Ozarks. My preference would be to have one more statewide event this month and then maybe another in November. Thoughts?

@shelbysguns You had mentioned doing some training and hiking in Iberia at the range. What is the lead time for getting something like that setup?

@Bigbryce31186
@Tree-hugger
When are you guys planning on doing local hikes? I know of some people looking to get into rucking (but not necessarily APC) in both the KC and St.Louis areas. If you guys want I can try to get you in contact so you can have them along.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So when do we want to do the next statewide hike? This is prime hiking time in the Ozarks. My preference would be to have one more statewide event this month and then maybe another in November. Thoughts?

@shelbysguns You had mentioned doing some training and hiking in Iberia at the range. What is the lead time for getting something like that setup?

@Bigbryce31186
@Tree-hugger
When are you guys planning on doing local hikes? I know of some people looking to get into rucking (but not necessarily APC) in both the KC and St.Louis areas. If you guys want I can try to get you in contact so you can have them along.
View Quote

Ill check the schedule as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Bigbryce31186
@Tree-hugger
View Quote

I'm up for another one. I might be able to make a state hike at the end of the month as well. @Flakmagnet PM me and I'll give you my email address so they can get in contact with me.

@Dominor @Shootindave a KC hike soon? @ any other KC members we may have.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#12]
@CPTCARL @detrhoytMAK See post above. KC hike soon?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Bigbryce31186
@Tree-hugger
View Quote

I'm ready anytime.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm no longer off weekends & am now working stupid hours. Without any real days off for a while.  

Good times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm still getting plenty of exercise at work every day, so I'm going to focus on other preps prior to the election.

If someone local to me sets something up and I can swing it, I'm in.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm no longer off weekends & am now working stupid hours. Without any real days off for a while.  

Good times.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat. Work weekends and nights. Get Monday and Tuesday off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I missed it but, can we get a list of who is in what areas?

I am in STL and with all the parks in the state, it would be pretty easy to get a quick evening or weekend hike set up for those in similar AO's.

I took an easy 7 mile hike with a 30 lb pack the other day at cliff cave. Easy flat trail and only one big hill if you park in the "wrong" lot

edit: could we keep a living list in the OP?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
KC guys @Domnior and I are meeting Monday (tomorrow 10/12) around 5:30 at Burr oaks Nature  center. It will be about a 5 mile hike.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
KC guys @Domnior and I are meeting Monday (tomorrow 10/12) around 5:30 at Burr oaks Nature  center. It will be about a 5 mile hike.
View Quote

Beat me to it!

This was an expertly planned trip and definitely not last minute.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Beat me to it!

This was an expertly planned trip and definitely not last minute.
View Quote

Domnior had to cancel last minute. Is anyone else able to make it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am in STL and with all the parks in the state, it would be pretty easy to get a quick evening or weekend hike set up for those in similar AO's.

I took an easy 7 mile hike with a 30 lb pack the other day at cliff cave. Easy flat trail and only one big hill if you park in the "wrong" lot

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good Suggestion: And Done.

ETA: Per suggestion here is a list of interested Arfcommers by region that I will try to keep up to date.

KCMO

Bigbryce31186
Domnior - Provisional
Shootindave
CPTCARL

STL

Tree-hugger - Provisional
Thermos449
connor327
JestersHK

SWMO

Flak-Magnet - Provisional
Mattgunguy
HEIT_APDST

NEMO

Dab2

Central MO

shelbysguns - Provisional
woodxdm - Provisional

Unknown

Jbowles
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in STL and still interested, just bogged down by work and two young sons. I can't commit to hikes at a moments notice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd like to get involved in this but I'm recovering from a replacement knee.  Some point in the future I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd like to get involved in this but I'm recovering from a replacement knee.  Some point in the future I'll be ready.
View Quote

No better read than having a 40 pound plus on your pack and hiking......

Seriously don't take my horrible medical advice
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barely 2 months out, I've been beating the hell out of it.  Struggling with the pain, that's the main holdup.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I did three mile ruck tonight with someone who turns out to be an arfcommer. Another guy who I met last week was going to come but couldnt make it tonight, he is also an arfcommer. Everyone I approach about APC hiking who seems interested is apparently already an arfcommer.

For those of you who do not have a local group yet, I encourage you to spread the APC hiking news. Not only is it pretty well accepted, but everyone who is interested is also probably on arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Interested in next one!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Put in 3 miles this morning on a new trail I found that's right next to a lake, it was freaking awesome out there.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:52:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Put in 3 miles this morning on a new trail I found that's right next to a lake, it was freaking awesome out there.

https://i.imgur.com/zCWLgZZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Fnn1UhD.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone check out This thread yet? this is definitely up our ally!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow that looks awesome!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn that looks fun! I don't think I could make it that weekend though
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been hiking on the weekends. Took the day off yesterday to verify zero on my rifle and spend some time with my girlfriend and dogs. Things are looking bleak right now
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Keep your heads up, this isn't over yet and whatever you do, stay away from GD....good Lord.

Looks like its going to be nice tomorrow, I'm going to go out on a hike with the offspring, might get a mile in before she wears out
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Keep your heads up, this isn't over yet and whatever you do, stay away from GD....good Lord.

Looks like its going to be nice tomorrow, I'm going to go out on a hike with the offspring, might get a mile in before she wears out
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Your kiddo will love that! Pro tip. Take a water bottle for her, but don't give it to her unless she needs it. My nephews drank theirs before we even got on trail. They were hydrated, but had to pee every 5 minutes, and of course not the same schedule
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally bit the bullet and got a Kifaru pack. My old pack was just too damn small. Tent, Sleeping bag and sleeping pad barely fit. I have no room in there for anything extra, layers, food water etc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to have fallen off a cliff here guys, we went through a multi-week time with the newborn where I was spending my free time (aka 8-10pm) holding and rocking a very fussy baby. Between that, work, the election drama and everything else I have been busy.

Excuses aside, Is anyone interested in doing some hiking between now and Christmas? Personally, I would like to do a local one here in SGF area and then another statewide/central MO hike before Christmas if we can swing it.

Looking at the calendar I see 3 possible weekends between now and Christmas for a statewide hike:
November 28th/29th
December 5th/6th
December 19th/20th

I would be fine with doing leadmine again. The camp the night before was fun and the hike itself was awesome. Thoughts?

Im pretty sure I can only these tags only fire for 3 people at a time.. so here are a couple from my list.
@shelbysguns
@Mattgunguy
@Bigbryce31186

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I finally bit the bullet and got a Kifaru pack. My old pack was just too damn small. Tent, Sleeping bag and sleeping pad barely fit. I have no room in there for anything extra, layers, food water etc.
View Quote

That is a big bullet to bite. I looked into those before I bought a surplus pack of ebay (that turned out to be broken).
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry to have fallen off a cliff here guys, we went through a multi-week time with the newborn where I was spending my free time (aka 8-10pm) holding and rocking a very fussy baby. Between that, work, the election drama and everything else I have been busy.

Excuses aside, Is anyone interested in doing some hiking between now and Christmas? Personally, I would like to do a local one here in SGF area and then another statewide/central MO hike before Christmas if we can swing it.

Looking at the calendar I see 3 possible weekends between now and Christmas for a statewide hike:
November 28th/29th
December 5th/6th
December 19th/20th

I would be fine with doing leadmine again. The camp the night before was fun and the hike itself was awesome. Thoughts?

Im pretty sure I can only these tags only fire for 3 people at a time.. so here are a couple from my list.
@shelbysguns
@Mattgunguy
@Bigbryce31186

View Quote

Interested, tag me if we set a date.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

November 28th/29th
December 5th/6th
December 19th/20th

@shelbysguns
@Mattgunguy
@Bigbryce31186

View Quote

A lot of unknowns at the bar right now. Im definitely interested, not sure if I can attend however.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That is a big bullet to bite. I looked into those before I bought a surplus pack of ebay (that turned out to be broken).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you subscribe to Black Rifle Coffee Club they actually have a one time use 15% off coupon. Saved me almost 70 bucks on the Kutthroat alone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you subscribe to Black Rifle Coffee Club they actually have a one time use 15% off coupon. Saved me almost 70 bucks on the Kutthroat alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does help certainly, but is still a fair amount of crying after buying once for me. Im debating on if I should get away from my 1 man tent and try the bivy way next. Or maybe I need to buy a better parka first, or save for wizard eyes. I feel like I have already spent so much this year and still have a huge list to go.

Me in 2020:

@Mattgunguy
@HEIT_APDST
Any interest in a local day hike in the next couple of weeks?
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That does help certainly, but is still a fair amount of crying after buying once for me. Im debating on if I should get away from my 1 man tent and try the bivy way next. Or maybe I need to buy a better parka first, or save for wizard eyes. I feel like I have already spent so much this year and still have a huge list to go.

Me in 2020:
https://www.shutupandtakemymoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/im-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this-joe-exotic-tiger-king-meme.jpg

@Mattgunguy
@HEIT_APDST
Any interest in a local day hike in the next couple of weeks?
View Quote

I can't do a bivy. I need room. I have a very nice large 2 person. I almost always buy on sale as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

November 28th/29th
December 5th/6th
December 19th/20th

@shelbysguns
@Mattgunguy
@Bigbryce31186

Im in
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

November 28th/29th
December 5th/6th
December 19th/20th

View Quote

Does anyone have any hangups with December 5th? That is what I am leaning towards at the moment. That is two weeks away so should be out far enough for people to swing their schedules?
@Tree-hugger
@Domnior
@Shootindave
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#46]
If I can make it on the 5th it'll have to be a last minute thing for me.

I won't have the camper.  Getting some needed repairs done.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop !!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If I can make it on the 5th it'll have to be a last minute thing for me.

I won't have the camper.  Getting some needed repairs done.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop !!!
View Quote

Would any of the other dates work better?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm interested in future hikes. I'm in KCMO area. All I have is an eagle industries assault pack though. Is that alright to start? I've been wanting to do a hike under my 14s but I can see why night hikes may freak some out.

I need to look into what all you guys are carrying I guess.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm interested in future hikes. I'm in KCMO area. All I have is an eagle industries assault pack though. Is that alright to start? I've been wanting to do a hike under my 14s but I can see why night hikes may freak some out.

I need to look into what all you guys are carrying I guess.
View Quote

What days do you have off? I'm off Monday and Tuesday. You're a Northlander correct?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Yep, northland. I have S and Su off at the moment.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top