Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2017 7:54:14 PM EDT
Thinking about going to Branson in Oct. to visit Civil War battlefield.  How is the weather?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally just mellow Fall weather, but can switch quickly between hot/cold. I would be prepared for t-shirts during the day and light/medium jackets at night.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I was there last year over Veterans Day weekend.

It was warm enough that I wore shorts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still an asshole.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are talking about Wilson's Creek Battlefield I found it an awesome experience. Branson is cooler and less crowded but the shows still go on. Check Silver Dollar City for special events in the fall.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I am thinking of visiting Wilson Creek, Pea Ridge and a few lesser known battlefields.   My research never ends.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
How is Branson Oct-Nov?  I pushed my date back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Cooler, but not cold, and more of a chance of rain.

November is my favorite month, because I can wear a hoodie or jacket most of the time. (Plus, deer season starts mid-month).
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again.  I'm not into the normal tourist stuff.  It's mostly battlefields for me and Branson is just a place to flop for the night.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Wilson's Creek is great.  My wife and I had the yearly pass there.  It's a great place to hike the trails and really see what was what.  You'll see an absolute ton of deer as well!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
We went to Wilson's Creek while in Branson a couple years ago in May.  There were a couple schools buses of kids there on a school trip.  We arrived just in time to be locked down with the group while police searched the park for a fleeing felon.  Finally let us out, but everyone had to leave the park.

Went to Pea Ridge also.  Getting there on the back roads through the mountains was interesting.  The road twisted like a can of worms.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am thinking of visiting Wilson Creek, Pea Ridge and a few lesser known battlefields.   My research never ends.
View Quote
You doing any work on the Western Sharpshooters or 66th Illinois Vol Inf?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You doing any work on the Western Sharpshooters or 66th Illinois Vol Inf?
View Quote
I've mentioned them in my two books on sharpshooters.  They didn't fight in the Trans-Mississippi but rather in the Midwest.  There were a few "sharpshooter" battalions in the Trans-Mississippi, but these were Confederate and I've seen no evidence that the Confederate units there received the same degree of training in marksmanship like the men of Patrick Cleburne's division or (most of) the battalions in the Army of Northern Virginia.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've mentioned them in my two books on sharpshooters.  They didn't fight in the Trans-Mississippi but rather in the Midwest.  There were a few "sharpshooter" battalions in the Trans-Mississippi, but these were Confederate and I've seen no evidence that the Confederate units there received the same degree of training in marksmanship like the men of Patrick Cleburne's division or (most of) the battalions in the Army of Northern Virginia.
View Quote
If you wish, I can put you in touch with a guy who is doing quite a bit of primary research on both units.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you wish, I can put you in touch with a guy who is doing quite a bit of primary research on both units.
View Quote
Fred Ray?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fred Ray?
View Quote
Different guy
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#20]
@screechjet1 - sure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:She was looking at the WCHS Facebook page.  I guess logging in helps to see the stuff I couldn't find earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wright-County-Historical-Society/159799320720433
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:She was looking at the WCHS Facebook page.  I guess logging in helps to see the stuff I couldn't find earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wright-County-Historical-Society/159799320720433
If you haven't found it already, check out the "Tree Shakers" page on Facebook--lots of Wright County history on there too.

I'm interested in Hartville and Wright County because my wife and I grew up there.  My wife's paternal grandparents ran the store at St. George on the map in the link just above, and her maternal grandparents ran a store less than two miles west at High Point (not shown on that map).  My uncle and aunt owned a farm at the confluence of Dove Creek and Whetstone Creek under the H in Wright until they passed; that was a productive farm than made them wealthy through 50 years of hard, hard work.
I've lived between those areas (St. George and Grimes Mill) for a few years now, so I'm finally somewhat familiar with the geography and some of the history--always trying to learn more though! I recently learned a Trail of Tears route is thought to have passed through near Camp Calvary, as well as one not too far north of Manes. Do you know anything about an old bridge crossing Whetstone Creek just north of the current bridge on Hwy 38? It sure looks like bridge pillars to me in the northwest corner of that field, and not a building foundation, but the west bank there seems like an odd location to locate a bridge and road.

Dove Mountain in Wood Township is one of the highest locations in Missouri, but it's not a dramatic rise from the surrounding terrain.
There are quite a few locations in Wright County that reach 1600ft, but most of them are in the southwest corner. I've talked to many people in the county who are convinced they're on the highest, or nearly the highest, point in the county and/or the state--and only one of them was right. There's quite a few hills that have prominence for a several mile radius, lending a great view and an assumption it must be the highest point around. The (widely-reported and possibly-incorrect) second-highest (or third? or fourth?) point in Missouri is Lead Hill, about 2-3 miles west of Mansfield, at ~1750ft. Going off of Google Earth elevation data, I believe it to be the third highest point in MO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Go ahead. I'm happy to learn more about the area.  I know the Trail of Tears went through Ft. Smith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top