Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 3:49:59 PM EDT
Since Im new to the area, can anyone tell me the best place to go for my shooting needs? Other than buying some ammo at Bass Pro and picking up some gun lubricant at 417 Guns, I really dont know where to go or who carries/handles the most AR-15 equipment and accessories. Any help would be great and I also want to find a good place to shoot. Let me know. Thanks Everyone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:19 PM EDT
Ozarks Knife and Gun on Campbell has a nice selection. They are overpriced, and have tried to take advantage of less-knowledgeable shooters in the past. But, if you want to fondle something in person, before buying, they probably have it.

417 is the BEST for customer service, bar none.

I hear good things about Leven Gun Works, but no personal knowledge.

On a different note, will you be attending the Springfield Gun Show this weekend? I am always up for meeting new local shooters... I will be there, as I am sure cz75fan will as well (he is also Good-to-Go).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:44:02 PM EDT
I will definitly be there. IM me as I would be glad to meet someone else local who can teach me more about my new Bushy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:36 PM EDT
Dang it Scott, I'm going to be out of town this weekend so I won't make it to the gunshow. It will be the first one I've missed in a long time!!! Hope you rode out the storms OK last night.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
Rick, all is well down here! Too bad you'll miss this one.

derrick, IM inbound shortly...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:42:10 PM EDT
I will be at the gunshow.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:08:50 AM EDT
me too!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:19:09 AM EDT

Go to Steve's Guns! Great guy! Used to be on South Campbell, moved further south about a year ago. The number is 417-889-4867. Give him a call for directions to the new place. Tell him Kent from Joplin sent you. It won't get you a better deal, but tell him anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:53:07 PM EDT
Unless Steve got a personality transplant, I will continue to send people elsewhere.

He had one chance to impress me, and failed miserably. Never assume the customer is an idiot!

When he had the shop in the back of that little gas station, he was supposedly an okay guy (so I hear from a mutually-known individual), but once he moved to the shopping center, he started treating most folks like crap (which is why several of his customers no longer reccomend him).

Now that 417 Guns popped-up, treated folks right, he packed-up and moved. I heard a rumor that he formed a strategic-alliance with Duren's Gunsmithing. Duren is a great guy, if this rumor is true, I hope that Steve doesn't run his clients away too.

You never know, maybe because I didn't know the secret code (Kent from Joplin sent me) he felt I wasn't fit to hand him my cash...

Some people....

I suggest going there, despite my experience. You might actually have a good time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:55:24 PM EDT
Also Gunslinger's, corner of Sunshine and Campbell. Usually have decent selection, not too bad pricing, but absolutely SUCK at customer service...

I got stories about all the shops here... some good, most, unfortunately, bad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:29:54 PM EDT
Hot-Lead,
I can certainly appreciate your opinion of Steve's personality!Had
Anyway... I would encourage anyone to give him a try and make your own discision. As far as a "place to buy guns", I have always found Steve to be a very fair and honest dealer.

Bodriver (aka "Kent in Joplin")
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:03:34 PM EDT
I like His No-BS, but that can make him a total ass sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:38:49 PM EDT
There is a difference between "no b.s." and just rude to potential customers. I had just bought a Colt Commander (from another shop). I stopped by Steve's because he was (at the time) the only one stocking 1911 mags.

He told me he didn't think he had any mags for it, despite my calling 15 minutes before. I told him I was the one who called, and miraculously, he had mags. He then asked what I paid for my new toy, and after telling him, he began to berate my purchase, and told me I didn't know what I was talking about because it couldn't be a Colt. I assured him it was, and he became irate and red-faced, and told me it was either shot to death, or I " was too stupid to tell a Colt from any other 1911".

I informed him that I wanted 5 mags, but now I only wanted 2, because it was the minimum I needed and I didn't want to give all my money to a douchebag. He mumbled to himself, but said no more. I guess he is one of those guys that talks big, only if he has buddies around...

I paid, I left, and never once missed a chance of redirecting people away from him.

My wife's Father was one of his best friends. Yes, I said was. He isn't the most upstanding guy anyway, so I'm told.

Yes stop by, make up your own mind. Maybe he has your "dream gun" there at a perfect price. Personally, my integrity keeps my from having too much interaction with people like these (at least, by choice).
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:02 PM EDT
Don't forget Gunsmoke too. (As long as you don't mind BATFE watching you...)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:51:38 PM EDT
I like Gunsmoke, too. (Although I haven't been there in quite a while). Bought a Gold Cup there many moons ago.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:43:32 AM EDT
Steve needs both a reality check, and meds.
If he was 1/2 as smart as he thinks he is,
he'd understand that business = people.
Brent at 417 Guns is by far the best
Springfield has to offer for gun-shops.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:28:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hot-Lead:
Don't forget Gunsmoke too. (As long as you don't mind BATFE watching you...) hr

Im still green.... whats BATFE? And where is Gunsmoke?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:00:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By derrick_mcmlxxviii:

Don't forget Gunsmoke too. (As long as you don't mind BATFE watching you...)

Im still green.... whats BATFE? And where is Gunsmoke?

BATFE = Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives

I can't help with the location for Gunsmoke though. Maybe someone else here can.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:33:44 PM EDT
I love when this question gets asked, because I can laugh at all the posts about Steve. I liked him until he wanted $60 to do a transfer from CDNN. He does treat most potential customers like idiots, and he does have very good prices on primo kit. I'd never buy anything there again though. 417Guns rules the Springfield roost, I've had good luck at Gunslinger as well.

Frank Duren built a .45 for me, as well as refinished a Ruger. I wouldn't recommend him b/c he had my 1911 for almost a year, far far longer than the implied timeframe to do the work involved, that didn't all get done, yet did get all paid for. I was so sick of the whole thing that I don't even shoot that gun that I have $1400 bucks in, I gave it to my dad. His reduced Glocks are pretty cool though.

Now being back in KC, there still is only one decent gunshop, and he is a board member, so life is slightly better. (Denny's Guns)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:49:31 AM EDT
derrick- I don't go to Gunsmoke anymore, just 'cause I'm paranoid. But, I'm not sure what road it's on, but it sits at an intersection off Kearney, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:43:40 PM EDT
Let me ask a potentially stupid question ... What's the deal with gunsmoke? Was it raided?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:50:05 PM EDT

derrick- I don't go to Gunsmoke anymore, just 'cause I'm paranoid. But, I'm not sure what road it's on, but it sits at an intersection off Kearney, IIRC.

PARANOID? About what? Are they being watched? Inquiring minds want to know! Or at least I want to know.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:13:56 PM EDT
Folks, Google is your friend.... as long as you don't live in China... um yeah

http://www.gunweek.com/2004/missouri0101.html

Apparently they've had some legal issues.

Justin

<geek
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:26:00 PM EDT
Well, the bit about Gun Smoke is interesting I suppose. "The Gold Exchange" was always somewhat of a shady place when I was in Springfield anyway so it doesn't surprise me that they got "raided". I'm pretty sure it's the same Gold Exchange that existed when I lived in Springfield quite a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:37:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 3:45:10 AM EDT by jcg5740]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:39:53 PM EDT
Gunsmoke is on the S.E. corner of Division and Glenstone.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fatk1d:
Well, the bit about Gun Smoke is interesting I suppose. "The Gold Exchange" was always somewhat of a shady place when I was in Springfield anyway so it doesn't surprise me that they got "raided". I'm pretty sure it's the same Gold Exchange that existed when I lived in Springfield quite a few years back.

I think, the Gold Exchange folks actually bought Gunsmoke from Randy Sheridan.

rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By myitinaw:
Gunsmoke is on the S.E. corner of Division and Glenstone.

I was close ! At least it was the right end of town...

Top Top