Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 5:54:45 PM EDT
I have seen the place called ammo alley outside of Jefferson City on the way to Columbia...

What kind of stuff to do they sell and offer?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wondered that myself.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out www.ammoalley.com  They are in Holt's Summit, never been there though, I just did a search.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I was through there about 3 months ago. Very limited choice of ammo (no surplus at all) and prices were scarry high. They did have a decent assortment of used/new pistols, but again prices were a little more than I was comfortable with. I think the big sell there is that they have a range(need membership) behind the store. I was really looking for more than they had any interest in carrying and/or they had available.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
hmmm.  Is that place actually in JeffCity or outside?  sounds like a good place for a little road trip just to check out.  I think the place in Holt's summit is not too far from midway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've ebbn in there once and that was enough for me. Like duke said they seemed eager toplease but their prices were way to high for me. Not a bad selection of guns when i was there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
They are just a couple of miles north of Jefferson City on 63, not Holts Summit (that is along Hwy 54).

They are a great group of guys, who as mentioned before, are eager to please.  Although they don't carry a big selection of EBR's in stock, they can order them.   (And after talking to them for a while, found out that the guys who work there are pretty damn fond of them.)

If I remember correctly the indoor range has 10 lanes, can't remember the distance on them though and I think Doug (the owner) said the max velocity was around 1,700 fps.

I don't work there or anything, I just took my CCW class there on the 4th so I'd been hanging around there a little.

ETA  Speaking of gunstores, has anyone else been in that Pistols Plus gunshop at the Lake?  Very Cool displays of guns!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ETA  Speaking of gunstores, has anyone else been in that Pistols Plus gunshop at the Lake?  Very Cool displays of guns!!!

Excelent store! If you are anywhere close to the Lake it is worth checking out. It is a mini Bass Pro at this point! If you havn't been there in a few months, go back. They just built a huge new facility that is awesome. Jim (the owner) is kind of an ass, but Pam (his wife) is really cool. Jim is rarely there anyway. It is located on Hwy 54 Between Osage Beach and Lake Ozark. They have a great selection of guns for sale, and an even better selection of display guns.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I took my CCW class at Ammo Alley.

Doug Alley  (owner) is a good guy and the range is top notch...

They also offer tactical pistol classes but the previous posts are correct...

Prices are not competative... a bit pricey.

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
hmmm.  Is that place actually in JeffCity or outside?  sounds like a good place for a little road trip just to check out.  I think the place in Holt's summit is not too far from midway.

I hope you're not traveling far. I probably wouldn't be worth the trip. By the way, the place in Holts Summit IS Ammo Alley -- though it's not really in Holts Summit (probably just a mailing address). It's really not anywhere close to Midway. Midway is in Columbia, 30 miles to the north. BTW, Graf and Sons is about 50 miles north in Mexico.

Here's the basics on the Jeff City gun shop scene:

Bogg's Creek : The old boy shop in town. Probably most connected with the Jeff City shooting community. A pretty fair selection of used guns. The prices on the tags are high but they all assume trade or some other complication. Cash prices usually better. They trade reasonably fair. I'm not a reloader but they seem to have a decent selection of reloading stuff. The owner isn't the friendliest guy around but he warms up. Don't let first impressions turn you off too much. Kern is a pretty good guy and has been around forever.

Bob's Guns (past St. Martins at Hwy T): Jam packed store with a good deal of interesting stuff. Rich is a pretty good guy but he's not giving anything away. He'll treat you fair enough, though. Some surplus stuff/ammo for same. Lots of interesting pistols. TONS of knives. If you're a knife person it's definitely worth a stop.

Ammo Alley: Like others have said, they're just getting started. Not a lot to see. I haven't dealt with them personally but I know people who have and they speak highly of them.

Family Pawn (Dunklin street): A fair selection of used guns. For the most part overpriced but the prices are just for show. They deal easily. They also encourage orders and transfers. They will transfer for $30. Special orders are generally like $30-$50 over cost. Jason is the manager and he's pretty good to deal with. Like I say, the stickers are shocking but often not to be believed. I picked up a Belgium Browning .22 auto takedown rifle there for $275 recently.

Mo Blvd Pawn and Gun: Pretty much a waste of time. The guy has a few guns but nothing too special. He's got a few surplus guns and a few handguns. He generally asks WAY too much for his guns. He has a bunch of Savage lever actions on the wall but I think they're just for show. The few times I've asked about special orders and transfers he shot back what I thought to be ridiculous prices. Maybe he just doesn't like me. On the other hand he's asking $1 million for his crappy pawn shop and thinks he's going to get it.

Trim's Pawn: Not much to see here. Always has a few guns in stock but usually nothing too special. Most of his guns seem to come from pawn that defaulted. He doesn't seem to be pursuing the gun business. The owner, David, or his father, Floyd, will usually cut you a deal. Not so sure about the kids he sometimes has maning the counter. Hit or miss but it's a quick stop and just a couple blocks from the other pawn shops.

House of Bargains (Apache Flats): Years ago they had a pretty decent gun department. Not so much anymore but maybe worth a stop when you're out by Bob's Guns. You never know, sometimes they run sales.

There's another tiny pawn shop in Holts Summit that the Trim family owns but it only has a handful of guns.

The best thing Jeff City has going for it, gun-wise, is the United Sportsman's Club. It's a private gun club (still accepting membership) that includes a number of ranges. $45 a year gets you a gate key and access anytime the sun is shining. The rifle range barely reaches 200 yards but it's got really nice benches. There's a muzzleloader range, three pistol ranges, a sporting clays course, trap and skeet fields, and several archery ranges. A member can take five guests.

There's also a MDC public range out in Russelville at the Scrivner Road Conservation Area. The longest range is 100 yards.

That's about it for Jeff City.

The other places nearby that I've dealt with:

FULTON: Two pawn shops and another store that used to be primarily a gun shop but it seems like the wifey has taken over part of it and has some crafty type stuff in it. All three of these places are within a couple blocks of each other on the main business drag through town (first exit as you come from the south). Both pawn shops are worth a stop. The first one (Earl's -- with the Yellow Submarine out front) always  has a few guns but they're usually Bubba type stuff. Usually nothing too fancy. The other pawn shop (I forget the name) is owned by a guy who used to manage Bogg's Creek Guns in Jeff City. Larry O'Neil is his name. He is VERY knowledgable about guns. He usually has a good selection of mostly used but some new. He's proud of his stuff and doesn't give much away. He will work a deal with you but you better be sharp. It won't come easily. He's always going to watch out for No. 1 first. He's a good guy, though.

COLUMBIA: Three pawn shops and a couple of gun shops. Family Pawn has two stores. On is on the Business Loop and the other out on Route B. Both have a fair number of used guns. Like the Family Pawn in Jeff they tend to start with high prices on the stickers. But again, they'll generally deal with you. Often, simply asking "what's your best price?" is enough to get these guys to move quite a bit. The Paris Road store seems to be more gun oriented. Tiger Pawn on the Busines Loop has a few guns as well. They deal easily -- in fact, they're probably the easiest pawn shop to dicker with in Mid-Missouri. Consequently, the really good buys don't stick around long. The only problem is when they think they've got something special they tend to want to display it for a while and wait for their price on that item. The two gun shops that I know of in Columbia are Powder Horn on Rte B and Target Masters on old 63. Powder Horn is a traditional full service gun shop with knowledgable staff. I haven't tried to buy anything there in years so I can't speak with any authority about their pricing. Target Masters is an indoor gun range. I've only been there once. Seemed to cater to the Rambo crowd a bit but that may not be an accurate impression. There's also a new Bass Pro Shops store. Obviously, lots of new guns and accessories. Unfortunately, the old Bass Pro affiliate just closed. They had the best name for a gun store ever: "Liquor, Guns & Ammo." And yes, Midway is Columbia but I think all you can do is pick up orders.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hope you're not traveling far. I probably wouldn't be worth the trip. By the way, the place in Holts Summit IS Ammo Alley -- though it's not really in Holts Summit (probably just a mailing address). It's really not anywhere close to Midway. Midway is in Columbia, 30 miles to the north.

What kind of stuff does Midway sell?

Thanks for all the info! I have also wonderd about MoBlvd Gun and Pawn, but I am glad I never wasted my time going in,
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What kind of stuff does Midway sell?

Midway is a huge supply house — lots of reloading stuff. THey no longer have a retail store though. Here's their Web site:

Midway
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#15]

I've been doing transfers through MO BLVD pawn gun for years and have had nothing but great experiences on probably more than 10 transfers.  Bill is a super nice guy and will do transfers for $20.  For years they were only $10!  I think $20 is fair enough.  Most times I dont even go in, I just call Bill and tell him I am going to order a gun and give him the address to the company.

The gun selection is a joke but they have nice ammo cans from time to time.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've been doing transfers through MO BLVD pawn gun for years and have had nothing but great experiences on probably more than 10 transfers.  Bill is a super nice guy and will do transfers for $20.  For years they were only $10!  I think $20 is fair enough.  Most times I dont even go in, I just call Bill and tell him I am going to order a gun and give him the address to the company.

The gun selection is a joke but they have nice ammo cans from time to time.

Well, you know what they say . . . YMMV . . . (I've never done a transfer with him, though)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Speaking of gunstores, has anyone else been in that Pistols Plus gunshop at the Lake?  Very Cool displays of guns!!!

Man, I went in their new store for the first time today. All I can say is DAMN!

I didn't see much in the way of bargains but what a fancy store. And the museum displays are really cool! Reminded me of the old Carl's Gun Shop and Museum in Eldorado Springs (and maybe the way it still is, though I heard it changed) . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top