Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:05:51 PM EDT
Had the day off yesterday so I went running. I saw the ad for Show-Me Shooters in the KC star so I thought I'd check it out. Nice clean place, Friendly people that let you look around without any hassles.

The indoor range had, I think, 6 lanes. Humanoid targets ok
Cost is $25 yearly membership + $9 daily range fee
Guest range fee $12
Gun rental $5 - lotsa Glocks

No centerfire as usual.

Ammo: ADCO 5.56 $5.95 / 20rd box. (Aimsurplus price is $3.60 + shipping while it lasts)
Wolf 7.62X39 $4.95... at least they had some
Handgun ammo is about $3 higher than Walmart...hard to beat their WWB 100rd boxes of 9mm @ $11

Then I made it over to Denny's.

I always try to buy something when I visit a gun shop. CLP, cleaning patches, ammo, mags, something, just to help dealers keep the doors open. Denny's makes it hard to do that.

(Badly Rusted) AK mags $20 each- WOW- 2 big boxes laying on the floor that are going to stay there.

Ammo Q3131 $5.95 / 20rd box or $275.99 / 1000
M855 $10 / 30rd on strippers or $333 / 1000 - WWC Headstamp

It probably didn't help that I was wearing dress clothes and looked a little too clean cut to be looking around in an evil black rifle store cause they just weren't too friendly this time. Oh well it's still a good place to be when you got some time to kill.

Bossert's Surplus right up the road from Denny's was closed for the week. Bummer
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is this Show-Me Shooters ??
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Dennys Guns are a little over priced on alot of things.  I always seem to find a deal on something.  Most of the customers around here are tough on the retailers.  They always (Always) hit everyone up for a break on the price.  I guess they are just starting high in hopes of making a profit.

Wow, I just realized akginmaster is a Team Member now.  Cool Bro.
We are goiing to have to work on that avatar thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wow, I just realized akginmaster is a Team Member now.  Cool Bro.
We are goiing to have to work on that avatar thing.

Yeah, what's up with the avatar thing anyway?  A guy pays good money to be a "Team Member" and can't even use an avatar?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Show me Shooters is in Claycomo MO, its a nice little shop with some good prices on handguns. The range is ok too!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
You've got to be smarter than the avatar. Goto photos and log in. It's easy once you find it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You've got to be smarter than the avatar. Goto photos and log in.

That's the problem.

Got it now, I think.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Show-Me Shooters is a nice place to shoot and a nice place to deal with.  My dad teaches his CCW classes on the upper level were there is a classroom and another 6 lane range.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I am not a fan of Denny's guns either I went in there and was told there is no such thing as a "single Stage" AR trigger.  Also prices are as previously stated high.  Also the place is a wreck, and that says a lot coming from a slob like me.  Show-Me Shooters was a great experience for me last weekend.  If its raining again this weekend I'll probably be down there again Saturday or Sunday.  But whats up with the "no rapid fire" signs.  :/

Justin
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Rapid fire is ok if you go to Cross Fire in Independence.  I think the prices are better at Cross Fire for range time.  I always bring my own ammo though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Show me shooters let me rapid fire. however i rented a G19 and brought along the G36 and friends G22 ..................glocks that is. I also paid for all the ammo for every handgun and spent a fairly large amount of money in the store, they didnt seem to mind at all. ETA we were shooting alone so thats probably a better reason.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
i've always had great experiences at Denny's.  they have a great selection of guns, all of the accessories you might need, and Chuck and Denny seem to know more about firearms than anybody else in town.  if they don't have what you want/need, they'll order it on the spot and usually have it within two business days.  all of the salesguys are definitely the friendliest in town too,  thats one of the reasons i have been shopping there alot during the past few months.  i always seem to get really fair prices too when my pile of guns and/or supplies is rung up each visit.  note that Denny's also has a great gunsmith, and they have the biggest selection of SMGs and suppressors in town.

i think i've been to every gun and pawn shop within 60 miles of KC, and none of them compared to Denny's.  if you want to complain about high prices and bad customer service, you should start with Cabelas, Dicks, or the other popular KC gun shop just across the state line in KS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
if you want to complain about high prices and bad customer service, you should start with Cabelas, Dicks, or the other popular KC gun shop just across the state line in KS.

And who would that be now that, thank God, Bob Lockett got out of the biz?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Amen on the Bob Lockett out of business.  Denny's is an ok shop.  It seems to go more down hill each year.  When I want handgun or black and ugly, I head my truck over the Bullet Hole.  If I want a precision rifle its of course to GAP.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
BlackOpsSec,

Not complaining, just stating the facts.   They are a little over priced as is the Bullet Hole.  Yes they do have most of the stuff we are looking for.  They do have a friendly staff most of the time.   But there is that older bearded man that is just plain cranky.  Adam, and Chuck are pretty cool though.  They usually will cut  through the chase and give you a fair price, if they know you are serious.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#15]
DBAR - i gotcha.  yeah, Adam is a great guy.  once you get him and John going, they can be very entertaining.  :)  i took my CCW class from John, and it was actually alot of fun and entertaining (in addition of course to being informative and covering all of the important points).

as far as "the shop across the state line" goes, i was referring to the bullet hole.  i hate to say anything bad about TBH, because i'm a member there, spend alot of time on the range, love the place, and appreciate the fact that they support our 2nd amendment rights.  i realize they have to make a $, and so that's why i'd pay more in a second to buy there than from someplace like Cabelas.  TBH has marked everything at retail prices for the longest time.  for the past few years, they have given me a competitive price whenever i asked about it.  last few times i have been browsing in there though, they have all quoted me sticker price when i asked.  i'm all about supporting the local mom & pop shops, but i'm not going to pay $1000+tax for a S&W Model 500 at TBH when i can drive 10 min to Denny's and get it for $875+tax.  now, for the small stuff, like ammo, small gun parts, etc, i don't even bother comparison shopping because a couple $ doesn't matter and thats what places like TBH and Denny's make their money off of anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I have to say that Denny's is my favorite place. My firearm interests are mainly along military lines and they usually have a good selection. Chuck has given me some good deals in the past so I don't have any complaints. In the KC area, it don't think they can be beat with their selection of firearms and accessories.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
You can definetly get deals at Denny's.  I got a 686P there for $369 a couple years back.  I bought my first handgun there as well.  Cabelas is by far and away the worst of the worst.  They charge internet new prices on BEAT UP used guns.  And of course FULL MSRP on new guns, many not in great shape due to excessive handling.  One of the dipshits behind the counter was trying to shove a broken P225 on me, told me the trigger wasn't resetting after a dryfire as a 'safety feature'.  I told him he was dead assed wrong, that the gun was in no safe condition to fire, and was obviously very used, yet carried damn near the price tag of a new gun.  I demanded to see a supervisor, made a huge scene about how it was inexcusable to be selling faulty merchandise, and left.  I hate Cabelas.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You can definetly get deals at Denny's.  I got a 686P there for $369 a couple years back.  I bought my first handgun there as well.  Cabelas is by far and away the worst of the worst.  They charge internet new prices on BEAT UP used guns.  And of course FULL MSRP on new guns, many not in great shape due to excessive handling.  One of the dipshits behind the counter was trying to shove a broken P225 on me, told me the trigger wasn't resetting after a dryfire as a 'safety feature'.  I told him he was dead assed wrong, that the gun was in no safe condition to fire, and was obviously very used, yet carried damn near the price tag of a new gun.  I demanded to see a supervisor, made a huge scene about how it was inexcusable to be selling faulty merchandise, and left.  I hate Cabelas.

thats pretty much been my experience.  salesman there one time didn't know what an AR-15 or an AK-47 was - even when i pointed right at them.  When he finally picked up the right gun, and brought it over to me, he told me that he knew absolutely nothing about guns and had just started working there.

i'd never buy a gun at Cabelas - it's common to see them selling used guns in FAIR condition for more than MSRP new gun prices.  

i did though just buy another 2500+ rounds of 762x39 from Cabelas.  they were the only place in town that had it in stock, and the price was decent (640 rnd Wolf HP tin for $80).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you guys are missing out on one of the best dealers in the K.C. area --- check out Moore Outdoors in Smithville, MO.  No big inventory, but VERY willing to order what you want and VERY MUCH into para-military firearms such as AR-15s, AK-47s and M1As.  Talk to the owner --- Gary.  He speaks your language!!! :)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
HEY!!!  MOORE OUTDOORS has a web site, too!  

www.MooreOutdoors.biz

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Moore Outdoors is in fact at the top of my list of gun shops to visit.  maybe i'll try to get out there this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a PSL on order at Denny's.  Ordered it last week, been waiting for them to call me.  I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if it's in.

I do like Denny's, but the place is a mess.  I have also learned to only talk to Chuck about stuff.  The rest of the staff is either clueless or rude, usually both.

I like the Hole alot.  They know me well, I go there about once a week, and am a member.  You gotta haggle a bit on prices, but they're competitive with everyone else in town on most stuff, when you haggle.

Clayco/ShowMeShooters.  I am a member there.  They've cleaned it up some since it was ClayCo, but still about the same on inventory and supply.  Range is decent, better than the Hole's.

Crossfire.  Love the range, hate the gunshop!  Guns are dirty, prices are ... bizarre.

Cabela's will never see a gun purchase from me, unfortunately for them.  They treat thier new guns like crap, have you ever seen thm put them away at night?  $1500 Freedom Arms literally tossed onto the stack of other guns on those racks!  Most of their guns are scratched to hell because of that.  Also, they refuse to take the trigger locks off and there is no negotiation on prices, which sucks since they're across the board High.

Haven't been to Moore Outdoors yet.  Maybe next time I'm up north.  In Kearney there is also Great Guns.  I used to go there all the time, especially when they were still JRs Guns, which is now the Armory.  Now that I live down south, I haven't been up there in years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Am in the process of moving to KC.  I also stopped by Denny's Guns last Thursday at 20th and Clay, and it was a wreck.  Did not spend more then a few minutes, was in a hurry.

So this is not the same place as Global Tactical?

One more question, if I move to KC, MO I am going to have to drive at least an hour or so to shoot a rifle?  That is going to be rough, in that there are three rifle ranges within 25 minutes of were I am at right now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#24]
It all depends on where you live and who you know I guess.  Global Tactical and Denny's are the same place but apparently not the same business.  One of the guys in there told me it was separate and GT is just run out of a back room by one of the guys.  I don't know much more than that.  You've got a few rifle locations that I know of Parma Woods near Parkville MO, north of the river and Lake city.

Justin
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It all depends on where you live and who you know I guess.  Global Tactical and Denny's are the same place but apparently not the same business.  One of the guys in there told me it was separate and GT is just run out of a back room by one of the guys.  I don't know much more than that.  You've got a few rifle locations that I know of Parma Woods near Parkville MO, north of the river and Lake city.

Justin

Thanks for the info, was wondering, the guy at the counter acted like GT was a entirely separate entity.

Parkville ain't far, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't read every post, but I know what you guys are saying. Check out Great Guns in Kearney...they are $80+ cheaper on their Glocks among other things. I've heard some absolutely ridiculous shit while in the "other" store shopping...multiple times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top