Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 6:40:13 PM EDT
I gots da hankerin' for an AK build REAL bad.

Does anyone (Duke?) have the necessary tools, patience and graciousness to host a build party in the Central/Western parts of MO?  I'll supply good (Boulevard) beer for everyone.

The only caveat is that I don't have a single AK part so I would need a complete shopping list.  Oh, and does anyone have the jigs to bend "flats" into shape?  After reading the complete how-to on surplusrifle.com I sure wouldn't mind have a "no-paperwork" AK.  

Tanks in advance,
Eric
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered a Parts kit today.  I'm in, but I don't have the equipment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Not only would I provide good beer, but I wouldn't be so presumptious as to ask this level and amount of time from someone and not be willing to pay them at least some sort of stipend for thier time and equipment use.

I mainly want to do it in order to get together with other like-minded folks and have the pleasure of building one by myself.  Oh, and if it has no paperwork (built from an unformed "flat"), that would be gravy on top of it all.

Can we/you preliminarily go ahead and plan a build weekend far in advance, say in the summer time?  That way everyone has enough time to get the parts together and you can find a "free" weekend?  I would still need a complete shopping list as I know squat about AKs.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the idea of a build party.  We should definately organize one for the spring once the weather gets nice (that way we can go "test" things right away).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll even go 1 step further...  I live 3 miles from a Fastenal store.  If we can coordinate a list of building supplies I will take responsibility in ordering, picking up, and bringing all the hardware required for the builds (if people need hardware).  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I am interested in an AK build so if it is in the works, and you guys don't mind, i would like to be involved.  I have a dremel...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Mike I didn't see your message till about midnight I had my phone charging at the house.
Moving wasn't good on me I fell down some stairs while carrying a dresser with Heather's dad. Luckily the concrete stopped my fall

Guys here is a list of things you want to buy
Parts kit
G2 trigger
2 other US made parts (Handle, muzzle brake, gas piston. etc.)
Some kind of finish or you can have Duke do a finish on it he does good work
Rivets
Cutting wheels for dremel
Receiver 100% are easy and you can get them done faster

You can probably do with that if someone has jigs and tools
I'd suggest you drill out the old rear trunnion Rivets ahead of time
as well as take off the old trigger guard rivets and the old receiver if its still on there
hope that helps
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Guys here is a list of things you want to buy
Parts kit
G2 trigger
2 other US made parts (Handle, muzzle brake, gas piston. etc.)
Some kind of finish or you can have Duke do a finish on it he does good work
Rivets
Cutting wheels for dremel
Receiver 100% are easy and you can get them done faster

You can probably do with that if someone has jigs and tools
I'd suggest you drill out the old rear trunnion Rivets ahead of time
as well as take off the old trigger guard rivets and the old receiver if its still on there
hope that helps

Hey thanks for the shopping list.  Might you be so kind as to supply some good resources for those parts?  And how about some specific details such as which parts kit should I buy?  Romanian?  Yugo?   I received a nice ad from Centerfire Systems recently.

What is and who sells a "G2" trigger?

What US parts for AK builds are applicable to 922 regs and who sells them?  Does US furniture count, and who sells it?  I recently saw some good looking plastic furniture on a couple of builds and thought that it was US made stuff.

What rivets?  From whom?

Sorry, but I'm COMPLETELY ignorant about all things AK.

And thanks in advance,
Eric
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Its ok when I bought my first kit i had no idea either
I'd go with a Romy for my first or you can get a polish Cost a little more
Centerfire has let me down before I really like DPHarms he is good to buy from and if you are dissatisfied he will pay the return shipping ordering online is best cause he has a real job and its kind of an all night every night thing for him.
G2 trigger has trigger, disconnector and hammer thats 3 US parts www.MidwestArmory.com a.k.a. thedukeryan look in the EE he usually has good deals going
if you want a synthetic stock look at Kvar if you get a US made one that would count as 3 more US parts You need to have 6 if you want a muzzle brake.
rivets are what is used to hold an AK together for a Romy you need 2 long swell neck rivets for the rear trunnion, 5 trigger guard non-swell necks, and 6 short swell necks you will probably want to buy at least one extra set of rivets I'll usually pull one or two out if they don't seat just right. You need to look around a lot of people sale them for less that $10 for a pack I bought a couple in a group buy some time back for around $2.25 a pack
If you want to roll your own flat than you need to buy a 80% flat w/ rails a center support and a rivet (DO NOT GO WITH TAPCO FOR THESE) for that center support you also need MAPP GAS and hope that after a couple hours of work you don’t over smash your rivet and make the thing look like a Dorito.
If you have any more questions I'm sure someone can answer
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
your suggestions, along with the helpful advice of the other topics on this site seem to make this a "do-able" project.  I do not have any of the materials, as of yet, but will by 1 March.  I am looking forward to building my own AK.  Thanks to all of you who demonstrate patience with me for not knowing alot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks like a big problem most people are having right now is finding decent 100% recievers.  GT is backordered till some time in 3047 and everyone else is taking advantage of it by boosting prices on other recievers near the 100$ mark.  Couple that with the FFL xfer cost and you have a piece of sheet metal that cost more than your entire parts kit + compliance parts combined.  Therefore....

I think the real solution to a group build is going to be the ability to bend our own flats.  That cuts out the xfer fee all together so there is some money saved.  If we can all chip in for a jig rental/purchase and spend a little elbow grease, the build cost should drop dramatically.

All this being said I think the possiblity of a "Reciever Party" should be considered.  Considering a flat is only 15 bucks, (I bet we could get serious discounts for a bulk purchase) the time it would take to bend, form, spotweld, and heat treat wouldn't be so bad for you get out of it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#12]
As new guy to the group I'd be extremely interested in this for three reasons; new to the area and ARFCOM I'd like to get to know all of you in person, I've been around SKS but not AKs and would like to build one, and lastly I'm cheap so this sounds like a good way to get another toy without breaking open my Son's piggy bank.

Justin
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Anyone have any ideas?

This about as low as I've found for 10 pack AK 4130 CARBON STEEL Receiver Flat With Rails

$8.00 shipping

I don't know if they are worth a crap on not.

Count me in for the party
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out Nodakspud Harlan has good flats excellent quality and a quantity discount.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm debating whether or not I should just buy a jig and then rent/borrow/lease out to people to recoup the costs.  I'm getting a press sometime next week so all I would need is access to a spot welder (anyone in KC that can help me with that?) and that would be 100% of the setup right there.

My other option would be to try and make a jig.  Although I'm sure this is cheaper I would have to borrow someones welder, mill, and most importantly time which isn't something I want to burden a friend with.

If the general concensus is that the 555th jig is the one to get I might as well purchase one while vendors have them in stock.  Any objections?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have a welder.  I do have two hands and alot of elbow grease.  I would be willing to help in any way needed.  I also think a group buy would be the best way to go.  All of this coming from someone new to all of this.  I would love to participate though.  So if you don't mind, count me in.  If anyone wants to arrange the required material and set up the build dates then i would gladly show up and contribute any way that i can.  I am sure it would be a learning experience.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
a build party sounds very interesting.  if you guys decide to do it message me or email me.  i would chip in wherever i could to help out.  you could probably mark me down for 2 people.  i would definately try to get rmdye to come with. i am finally jumping into the ar15.com world.  i have met a few people at shoots and shops in the past few months.  to everyone else.  hello.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I just aquired a DPH jig.  A fellow arfcom member and I are going to get together and make sure everything works correctly then it will be available for use whenever we can get things organized.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#19]
That sounds like great news.  I think it would only be fair to compensate you for your investment.  I hope it works well.  I am really interested in seeing if I can build my own AK.  I would have never thought it possible.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got 4 rommy kits laying around, so I'm up for a build party.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds great!  No building experience, but I'll help anyway I can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm midway through my first build, a Romy G, on a OOW(2nd choice but available) receiver I got from beltfedMGs. I'm tooling up and have full access to machine shop(my job,CNC mill Prog) as well as equip of my own. Let's get this party started!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm in Overland Park. I've got a WASR as my AK variant.
I'm not in the market for doing a build, but hanging out with like minded folks would be fun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Back to the top with this thread.

Okay, I now have a couple Romy kits and a couple G2 trigger kits.  I guess I now need to buy some rivet kits and some US-made furniture, most likely from KVar or Global when they come out with theirs.  Who sells the best rivet kits?

Now as to receivers.................

I really want to learn to "roll my own" receiver, so to speak, eventually but perhaps not for the first couple of builds just to keep things as simple as possible.  

Might Duke Nukem be able to order some 100% receivers for some of us and I/we just buy them from him? I hear that Global has a pretty consistent 2 month backorder situation for their receivers and if that's true then getting started buying them earlier is better than later.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#25]
wait time on GT receivers is 45 to 60 days I called this morning. Plan on placing an order shortly with them for some 1.0mm 7.62 rec. and Harlan for a RPK receiver.  hopefully  I can get some of these kits into rifles by may.

Eric getting a 100% Global is much easier and would be the best way for your first few builds
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Tapco has good reasonable sets of rivits$7 for basic set $9 with the center support. Have you checked out the U Drive Screw method?  Looks like a good way to avoid pressing out the barrel.  I've ordered a set from killerone, should be arriving soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I would avoid doing screw builds if I were you guys.  Just my two cents, but we won't work on screw build guns at my shop as a matter of policy.  Take that for whatever it is worth.

Why?  You guys got enough loose screws around there already?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Dukes right pass on doing a screw build. Rivets are easy and much better
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Alrighty then, who sells the most righteous rivet sets for my upcoming Romy/stamped builds?

Also, who sells those grip reinforcement plates?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
BTT.

Let's keep this great idea fresh in people's minds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 3 bundles of rivets in a group buy about 8months ago stocking up. I divided some of them up into about 30 sets and sold them off. It ended up paying for itself and leaving me with lots of free rivets.  But i have no clue where to get them now.
ask in the AK builder section that or DukeNukem might know a good place.
How many sets do you need?
that might help to decide where to send you
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Back to the top pretty please.

I just need 2 sets of US synthetic furniture and Mike to order a couple receivers for me and I'm ready for this shindig to take place!  Remember, I'll be bringing the good Boulevard beer!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I now have a kit, I'd like to participate also whenever this shindig happens.  The only thing I am lacking is a FCG and 1 other part.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#36]
go to midwestarmory I think his prices are pretty good get a G2 double hook for around $30 and either a US made brake or Handle those are simple things to get your US parts count right
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
We are currently buying rivets in bulk, and I mean in BULK.  The rivets we have on hand are good ones.  That's about all I can say right now, I think.  Its amazing how 700 rivets can go very quickly when you are actually in the AK building business.

Duke
Any chance of buying a couple dozen long rivets off you.The long ones I've got are to hard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top