User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 1:39:09 PM EDT
I live closer to Banister.

How many tables are at the KCI show?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd vote for Banister too.  I don't think the KCI shows are worth it anymore for me.  Seems to be more of the older guns, etc.

scottMO
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to both!  

I'll be hitting up the Bannister show first o Saturday for ammo and goodies from CMMG and then if I'm not totally pooped I'll head up to the KCI show to take a look around, perhaps on Sunday.  You just never know what kind of deals you'll find.  

I remember once some years back when there were several gunshow organizers who held shows in the KC area.  RK was getting really nasty in the KC gunshow wars and placed radio ads several days prior to a weekend that said "Attention hunters & shooters, the gunshow this weekend has been cancelled and rescheduled for such & such date".  When in reality, they (RK), had simply rescheduled their show to a later date and the new player in the KC gunshow circuit was trying to get a foothold in the KC market and DID have a show scheduled that weekend at that same place, I believe it was the Front Street location.  RK was playing VERY dirty pool.

I went to the new vendor's "cancelled" show and got some killer bargains because basically there was nobody coming to the show due to the dirty RK radio ad campaign and the vendors were making killer deals to move any amount of merchandise to the few folks who did actually show up.  I don't think the organizers of the "cancelled" event ever fully recovered and certainly the vendors didn't want to attend another such event and lose their shorts.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd vote for the Bannister show as well, if for no other reason than what eric10mm voiced is indicative of how RK operates. My understanding is that RK operates the KCI shows, and I'm enjoying watching him be on the other side of the fence.That aside, the Bannister show does seem to be better in terms of quality, well known vendors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd vote for the Bannister show as well, if for no other reason than what eric10mm voiced is indicative of how RK operates. My understanding is that RK operates the KCI shows, and I'm enjoying watching him be on the other side of the fence.

That aside, the Bannister show does seem to be better in terms of quality, well known vendors.

Umm, see you at the RK show. It's the one at Bannister.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
RK runs the Bannister shows.
RK Shows

U.S. Weapons Collectors runs the KCI shows.
US Weapons Collectors

But for the life of I cannot remember specifically who it was that RK screwed that particular weekend as I reported.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Rgr, I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
holy chit banister is packed. i bumped into more people than a blind man.  i started up an aisle and saw a impassible blockade of people so i turned around, saw and heard an overalled 50 something bubba say are you lost asshole. i would have kicked his ass but i dont act like a 17 year old.

a couple of nice looking underfolder aks on a table for 5 bills. i probably would have purchased one but 2 jokers had ahold of them flappin the gums about buying one.

for pete sake either buy it or move along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bought an hk shirt and left.

havent been for about 2 years what happened to mike at xcaliber?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, the RK show blew this time. Not sure what they did advertising wise, but it worked. There was too many people and not enough gun stuff. The one at KCI was much better as far as the goods went. Look to be a couple of vendors that changed shows. Didn't see them at the Bannister show but ran into them at the KCI show. KCI won this round. IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to post a clarification/retraction on my prior "dirty pool" gunshow wars report.  I had an old friend correct me about what happened and to whom.  Apparently it was "Rhoney" (US Weapons Collectors, at KCI today) who tried to screw RK (at Bannister today) with the dirty radio misinformation ad campaign way back when.

Anyway, Thanks to the guys at CMMG for holding a lower for me as they were otherwise out of stock on lowers.  They even took a CH out of an already-assembled upper for me to buy.    THAT ROCKS!  Between the Bannister and KCI shows I spent a buttload of money today.

I do have to say that I'm extremely disappointed in how much non gun stuff there was on tables especially at Bannister.  From the "As seen on TV" type stuff like the "shake & light" batteryless flashlight, to a "saladshooter" thingy to an actual table full of gold chains and cheap jewelry, not to mention the usual knife/throwing star/nunchaku/sword/beef jerky tables.  Sad, truly.  I think at least some of it was due to there being 2 shows on the same weekend.  

Oh well, at least the beef jerky made for a good brunch for me.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't say which one was better.  I only went to the RK show, and it was just ok.  John and his Wife where there of course, so it's always nice to able to say hello to them.  I had to get one of there cool "Fire for Effect" T-shirts.  Only I'm having a hard time wearing a shirt with "Duke" on it (Ha,Ha, FUNNY).  I found a hell of a deal on a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum so the show panned out for me.  There where a lot of non gun or knife related vendors.  I found that a little odd.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
At least you don't have to see my face, that shirt shows my good side.

You Funny.............
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Even the worst shows at Front Street were better than that thing at Banister parading as a gun show.  Like mentioned there were a boat load of non-gun related tables.  The tables that did have guns didn't have much in the way of EBR's.  7.62x39 was $160+tax per 1000 rounds! OUCH!

My wife went so $14 was a lot of bling to drop just for one good table.  It was nice to see John, his wife and some of CMMG's goodies.  And, I finally got one of the Fire for Effect t-shirts...  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Late post on the subject, and first post for the site.  Picked up a new DPMS 20" bull barreled upper from CMMG.  My father and I went halves on it, and John made us good deal and his wife sorry forgot her name was very nice to talk to as well.  Thanks.

On upcoming shows does anyone know if the Jan 13-14 show is (US Weapon Collectors Show) at KCI is usually good?  

Justin
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
On upcoming shows does anyone know if the Jan 13-14 show is (US Weapon Collectors Show) at KCI is usually good?  

Justin

The upcoming show is NOT being put on by US Weapons or RK.  It is being put on by Missouri Valley Arms Collectors Association.

MVACA Winter Show
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#17]
AH! Right you are, I missed the US Weapon Collectors show... regardless any info on the  show next weekend?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AH! Right you are, I missed the US Weapon Collectors show... regardless any info on the  show next weekend?

Usually good? Yes. Mostly collectibles, displays and ammo collectors. It still has a fair amount of vendors. Not near as many infomercials, if any. The draw back is less Black Evil Rifles.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought the Bannister show was pathetic. It was more like a garage sale than a gun show. There was a table of purses for sale...What kind of crap was that? I would be embarrased as a promoter to have my name attached to that disgrace. There were only a hand full of tables that were occupied by true gun dealers. CMMG had an outstanding selection of quality firearm related stuff. There were 3 other dealers that had good tables in my humble opinion. A vast majority of the tables was just useless non-gun crap. Next time, I will not go to the Bannister show. For a $7.00 entry fee, it was robbery and they can blow themselves.

The KCI show was a lot better. There were a few tables that didn't have gun stuff as well but you could have counted them on one hand. There was a good variety of weapons represented and some decent deals available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought the Bannister show was pathetic.................. There were only a hand full of tables that were occupied by true gun dealers. .................The KCI show was a lot better......... There was a good variety of weapons represented and some decent deals available.

I think the major problem was having two shows scheduled on the same weekend.  Dealers had to choose which show to attend and a lot of them did it according to the show's proximity to them.  Had there only been one show I feel confident that the best (and unfortunately also probably the worst) of both shows would have been together under one roof.

I know that the 2 "big" ammo tables that I usually shop were split between both locations so I had to visit both shows just to get what I set out to buy.

Visit the MVACA show.  If you like guns at all you will not be disappointed.  I'll be there with what's left of my mad money after last weekend.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
i attended a show with my family who lives near maryville.  i don't know where we were in the KC area, but i wasn't impressed.  i went to the gun show to buy guns...  maybe it is typical in the area, but every other table was knives or flea market items.  is this the norm?  are knives this popular in the area?

if you guys want to try a good show and are willing to travel the Des Moines gun show at the 4H building of the fairgrounds is tip top around thanksgiving.  Superior Arms is going along with RB Precision these days.  the locals organized an after show get together with other arfcommers.  lots of fun and i learned a few things.

two cents...

septic tank

(let the IOWEGIAN comments commence...)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#22]
went to both. other than CMMGs table everything was
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top