Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2003 8:13:13 PM EDT
As an alternative to COF shooting, or maybe as a sideline event, or lunchtime/break event it has been tossed around about having competition shoots...

So I took some time to make a crude drawing of one event we had at the HUN Farm in Texas...
I've mention this to some of you before, but I thought a graphic might make it more real for the rest of you...

As an after thought we could take the top $10 from this event and it goes to MODCC for costs, and the balance to the best shooters...

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
what range?  If you get too close you need to use some of that new frangible (spelling?) ammo to cut down on ricochets or fragments.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
We were shooting at 15-20 yards at the Hun farm...

We were shooting FMJ...
The plates, when resting in the stand list back at an angle of approx. 10-15 degrees...
I'm not sure what type of steel was used, but the rounds did not penetrate the plates, they dented them, and hit with enough force to knock them down...
We were standing from a slightly elevated position - shooting down into a field...

We experiences no richoceting of rounds...
at least not in our direction...

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
don't know about you guys, but I find it hard to knock over a bowling pin, my 55gr fmj's go right through them, they hardley budge.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You're kidding, right...

They are not easy to hit, but when you do, they spin and twirl to the ground...

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Great idea Cutter!  I'de definately like to see speed competitions, accuracy competitions, and shoot/no shoot reactive competitions.

Speed competition can develop just how you were talking, first with all the targets down wins.

However I think these types of competitions are birthed from the pistol reactive set ups we've seen. WE have the advantage of 20,30,40, 75, and 100 round magazines that change it entirely in my eyes.

I still want to see the 60 competition, 60 targets, 2 shooters, first to drop his/her 30 wins! It would be nice to see two shooters dropping steel at the same time!!!

That can as well evolve into an accuracy competition; hit all the targets with no misses, then time becomes the defining factor in the win. If you miss, your out, or have to run again!

We can also do time trials, where you try to hit as many targets in a small period of time.

Shoot/no shoot trials could be set up where each individual who is shooting has the others set up the course for them, adding no shoot targets in random places, so that when presented with the course, each person has the same amount of no shoots, but they are in different positions every time.

I'm still cutting steel, so I think we'll have enough.

http://www.marshallhoyt.com/funthumbs/IWILLBEGOD-t.JPG

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The bowling pin will react if it does not have too many bullet holes in it.  Once it is shot up, the wood inside the plastic cover lose its integrity and the fast 223 bullet will zip right through.

15-20 yards?  I think we need to push them back farther.  Say 50 and 100 yards, or more.  The more jagged the steel surface, the more likely shrapnels will be thrown back at the shooters.  At least we minimize the chance of getting some of these shrapnels by pushing the targets farther back.  This way we also insert some riflemanship training into our competition.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#7]
This was a pistol shoot at 15-20 yards...

We did do a rifle shoot - same setup, but farther back (approx 50 yards), and only steel plates...

The diagram was for handguns...

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
In fact, I think we had the main targets at 50 yards, with two steel plates at 100 yards...

First shooter to knock down all targets on his side, with the last target being the 100 yarder - wins...

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
If it hasn't become obvious to ya'll, I am rapidly approaching my 500th post, so bear with me...

My work shift just ended, but I'm trying to find topics on other forums that I can throw my .02 in...

Let's see (7) more posts to go...

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This was a pistol shoot at 15-20 yards...

We did do a rifle shoot - same setup, but farther back (approx 50 yards), and only steel plates...

The diagram was for handguns...

Aha! That makes sense now.  Yes, bowling pin does react better to slower and heavier slug (handguns).
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I live a stones throw from a bowling alley.  If we need pins le tme know.  I'll ask them.  They are usually free as they have to toss out the old ones.  

Jeff D.
Yet another God D*mn lawyer
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool, then just grab 10, if you can...

That should get us going...

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top