Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2003 12:11:40 PM EDT
I was reading up about the current situation with the CCW law, and I keep on coming across tidbits about Bullseye range on Manchester, and how many people they have signed up for their classes.

Apparently they are charging $250 for their CCW training.

I don't know about you guys, but that seriously rubs me the wrong way. It feels like they are taking advantage of a good situation to price gouge the hell out of gun owners who want to protect themselves.

Sure it's a free market, and they can charge whatever they like, but $250 is a lot of dough, considering they have their own facilities. It just seems like they think they are the only players in the game, and therefore can charge whatever they like.

On the other hand, I suppose you could argue that they are offering a necessary service to the gun community, thus they should be commended, no matter what they charge.

When you got good people like the guys from CMMG and John Ross here in STL charging less than half that, I can't imagine why anyone would take the class at Bullseye. I guess people are just ill informed, too bad...

Personally, I think I am going to avoid Bullseye from now on. I used to go there every once in a while, because they are fairly close. But I think I'll pass in the future. That's just my $0.02, maybe I'm crazy, feel free to disagree or to flame away.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:31:39 PM EDT
Totally ridiculous. Average price in Arkansas is $70-$80, and that is for one 8 hour day. 9 hours if folks have trouble qualifying. I have been a CCW instructor here since the law came into effect, and at first we had some rip-off artists trying to take advantage of folks. Over time they faded away and I bet they will in Missouri too. How about getting someone in your local shooting club to be an instructor? That is what we did, we got everyone in our club (the Jonesboro Practical Pistol Shooters) together one Saturday for a CCW class. Cheap and fun. Congratulations on your legislative victory, and enjoy your new found and hard fought freedom to carry!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:15:55 PM EDT
i agree its really high--a guy around here was asking $150

for the yuppies in manchester, its probably about the same as brand name recogntion--they know where to go and who is teaching it and that is all they want--too much effort to shop around

thats what id guess
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:23:44 PM EDT
Agreed, some people have no shame when it comes to taking advantage of others.
Pathetic....
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:00:16 AM EDT
Bullseye is price gouging but they are the only indoor range in town. The first week they were charging $125 for the course but soon doubled it due to the huge number of calls they were getting.

As an instructor who doesn't own his own private range, I can tell you that it's hard to do a group class for less than $150 and make any money. The public ranges are not allowing CCW instructors to qualify out there and private ranges are charging $1,000 per day for me to bring students. Add in the cost for insurance, materials, ammo and assistant instructors, and you burn through money pretty quick.

If you are blessed enough to own your own range, then $100 would be a more reasonable price. Remember, this ain't Arkansas and most of the sheeple that are signing up for the classes have very little handgun experience. Therefore, the potential liablility for an instructor is very high.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:14:22 AM EDT
RMyers,

I see where you're coming from. As a private instructor, I think you are entitled to charge a bit more, because you probably have additional costs such as renting a location to train at. Hell, you might have to get two places, one for the oral portion, and another for the range portion. Plus, private instructors probably have a harder time filling up the classes, since they don't have the name recongnition of a private range like Bullseye. So if you only have 10 students, versus 30, you need to make up for your costs somewhere.

The way I see it, Bullseye already has all the facilities, materials (guns, ammo, targets, etc.), they are already paying employees to be there, and they probably already have all the necessary licenses, insurance, etc... Also they will have the best turnout, since they have name recognition. If anything, they should be offering the cheapest training. I know they have to pay the rent and utilities extra, but $250 seems like a ripoff to me.

I appreciate folks like yourself, CMMG and John Ross, who are offering the needed training at a reasonable price. I just can't stand the opportunists...
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:34:31 AM EDT
I've never had a problem with any of the folks at Bull's Eye before, and I even am a member of the range, but this sucks.

They already get all the MANDATORY security firearms training done on their range for St. Louis city and county. EVERY armed security officer must go to Bull's Eye every 6 months for qualification. How's that for a sweetheart deal, eh? And it ain't cheap, folks.

It doesn't surprise me, then, that they are going for the gusto with this CCW stuff.

I had been intending on using their range to teach my students when/if I get my instructor certification approved by the county, but that looks to be a non-starter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:47:04 AM EDT
Wow. Some of the folks up state need to realize that you could drive down to Southwest Missouri, rent a room for a night, have a class, and, including meals, get training for much less.

Classes down here are $85-$100. I posted my review of the MSSU class when I got back last night. Instructed by the people that train the police. $95.

You guys are getting screwed!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:53:03 PM EDT
In Sedalia, where Hwy65 n'Hwy50 meet our local Sheriff is giving the LTC training class for $100.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:19:17 AM EDT
This does not suprise me at all. I've gone to Bullseye a few times and every time they treated me like an idiot and tried to overcharge me for all the things I was interested in buying. They abuse their "only indoor gun range and shop in the city" thing a bit too much. I happily drive 20 miles out of the city to do all my shooting and gun purchases just to avoid them.

Then again I like to go to places that treat me like a good customer and don't try to sneak in more money in the bill.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:45:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
...tried to overcharge me for all the things I was interested in buying...

You mean you don't like paying $14.95 for a box of 50 9mm reloads???
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:50:06 PM EDT
I was reading in another link, that this is one of the parts of the overall anti-gun agenda...

Slowly raise the cost of sport shooting, so that some people just give up and find another "less expensive" hobby...

The rest of us will either pay the price, or begin reloading our own...
When that happens they intend to require you to get a license to manufacture ammo, so you can buy the powder, casings, and bullets...

Never met these people at Bullseye, but they might just be a part of the great conspiracy to rape and disarm us...

(Starting to sound like Mel Gibson in 'Conspiracy Theory')...
No really...
Black helicopters that run silent...
Gulp...

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:16:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2003 7:16:27 AM EDT by JsARCLIGHT]

Never met these people at Bullseye, but they might just be a part of the great conspiracy to rape and disarm us...

I think the guys that run Bullseye are just smug. I've been to a few gun stores in Saint Louis where the owner/operators have just had this smug and condescending attitude towards you like you are wasting their time, you know nothing and you should just buy something and get out of their store.

This may be an unfair comparisson but I put a few of the local gunstore owners on the same level as the Simpson's Comic Book Guy.
Top Top