Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 7:06:00 AM EDT
Just got this annoucement from 'Corporate.'  I snipped this most important segment...

XXXXX is committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees, guests and customers. In furtherance of that commitment, XXXXX has a long standing Global Weapons Policy that is intended to maintain an environment free of firearms and dangerous weapons. Our policy prohibits guns and weapons in XXXXX buildings and at XXXXX sponsored activities, other than authorized hunting activities. XXXXX maintains a zero tolerance for the possession of firearms or other weapons, exposed or concealed, by employees, guests, vendors, customers or anyone else accessing company buildings. The only exception to our policy applies to law enforcement and XXXXX security personnel. Failure to comply leads to expulsion from our premises, possible termination and possible criminal prosecution.

Yeah, because responsible workers with a licensed CCW are dangerous.
And if someone wants to do harm to the employees, surely they will respect the all powerful "GLOBAL WEAPONS POLICY," right???
I can't say I'm surprised at all.  Because I saw this coming, I'm not even mad, just annoyed.
Oh well, this job is very temporary in my eyes, I'm just waiting for the word, because I got a good feeling that my next job will not be an unarmed one...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
i feel your pain, got a memo very close to that the other day. i was like this is a mute point, there like what do you mean, we work in a hospital, its in the law we cant pack here anyway. i cant even have it in my car. they all ready have the signs waiting. sad news. Ronald
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Ronald, I forgot to say thanks for the video CD, it was a good one.  And thanks for getting the copies to the shoot for us.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Well guys, I feel your pain. Where I work it is in our Policy Handbook-- no weapons unless unloaded and locked in personal vehicle.

Part of my job involves me being outside, at night, bad lighting, alone, and in an area frequently crawling with scumbags.

Guess what? I plan on CCW'ing anyway. Concealed means none of my bosses will see it. I only see them about 30 minutes a day anyway. My safety is more important than working there.

If I have to save my life, I'll probably be fired. Oh-well. Their loss. At least I'm alive.

But then again, I'm stuborn at work!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]

They sent an annoncement out the day after CCW passed where I work. I didn't really expect any different. You know how dangerous us licensed CCW workers are.

Eric
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I know what you mean. I work in the 'hood and we can't even think about guns. But then again the US Postal Service and guns don't go to well together.

BTW, did any of you know the USPS used to issue guns to the (big)truck drivers if they requested it. If a driver had to pick up the certified mail bag (late evening always) and the driver wished to carry a gun all they had to do was go to the postal police office and they would be issued a gun, a crappy beat to hell .38 special by all accounts but still, thats the way it used to be.
Times have sure changed...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys too, huh?

I work in a very small company in downtown that only has five employees... everyone knows I'm a "gun nut" and no matter how responsable and educated I appear they told me the following:

"I (the president of the company who is also a friend of mine) will not 'forbid' you to bring a gun into the office if you have the permit, but I will ask that when it is in the office that IT BE TURNED OVER TO ME OR (ANOTHER EMPLOYEE) for 'safe keeping'."

WTF? It's like they think I'm going to start twirling it on my finger or using it to turn off lights like Homer Simpson.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I should also point out that I work down on Washington Ave. Downtown St. Louis in the "liberal distric" and the signs are already going up everywhere. NO C&C HERE, No Firearms Allowed and the like. They are almost treating it like a joke down here, one club even has a sign saying "No Conceiled Weapons or Ski Masks".
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
one club even has a sign saying "No Conceiled Weapons or Ski Masks".

Also known as the "Duke Nukem Sign"...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"I (the president of the company who is also a friend of mine) will not 'forbid' you to bring a gun into the office if you have the permit, but I will ask that when it is in the office that IT BE TURNED OVER TO ME OR (ANOTHER EMPLOYEE) for 'safe keeping'."

Their idea of safety is the licensed owner handing the gun over to someone who doesn't have a CCW license?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
HKocher, I hope that you do get a better job, and I hope that you let your current higher-ups know that their policy is one of the reasons you left.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#11]
So, being unarmed is safe?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Just remind your employers that if anything happens that someone with a CCW could have prevented, you (or your next of kin) will sue the piss out of them!  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You see the bullshit and know it for what it is.

Why don't you write up a very professional, accurate, and well researched rebuttal and send it to every member of the company's board of directors,  via registered mail, signature required?   And post copies to every employee-accessible bulletin board, and also, put a copy under the windshield wiper of every car in the employee parking lot?    Better still, drop a copy in every in basket in the building.

I'd do it.  I just don't give a ****.

To think that an employee who might snap is going to obey that rule is utterly ludicrous. So it's sensible to allow at least CCW holders to carry, on the off chance that they could bring such an unpleasant situation to a rapid halt.

Hammer them into submission.  Step on their toes until they apologize.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Un happy to say I think I was the first to post about this. (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=32&t=173272)
Not much we can do except to break the "Rules" or find A new job.
Fawking Sucks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You see the bullshit and know it for what it is.

Why don't you write up a very professional, accurate, and well researched rebuttal and send it to every member of the company's board of directors,  via registered mail, signature required?   And post copies to every employee-accessible bulletin board, and also, put a copy under the windshield wiper of every car in the employee parking lot?    Better still, drop a copy in every in basket in the building.

I'd do it.  I just don't give a ****.

To think that an employee who might snap is going to obey that rule is utterly ludicrous. So it's sensible to allow at least CCW holders to carry, on the off chance that they could bring such an unpleasant situation to a rapid halt.

Hammer them into submission.  Step on their toes until they apologize.

CJ

Exactly what I would do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, it's only your life we're talking about.

IMO, rules are made to be broken (well, sometimes).

I still fail to see the big deal here? Concealed means no-one should see it. If you have to use it, you'll be fired, but ALIVE!

I don't see a problem, well, except for GaryM. I know I don't have to enter through a metal detector, or be searched at my work. If I did, I'd work somewhere else, because I AM PACKIN'!

Anyone else plan on giving the ol' middle finger to your bosses by carrying as well?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Mentioned to my boss that I am taking the CCW class Saturday @ CMMG...

He reminded me that company policy would prohibit me from carrying on company property...
that means I can't even keep it in my car...

What's the point of having CCW if I have to drive home to put it in my car...

I think this is one rule I'll have to break!!!
I won't bring it in the building, but I will keep it in my car...
My car being my private property...

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, Glen, but your car is on THEIR private property, and they have the right to prohibit it.  It sucks diseased donkey dick, but I'm also not going to be armed at the new job, but will still be doing close protection.  With what?!  My good looks?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah, Glen, but your car is on THEIR private property, and they have the right to prohibit it.

Maybe someone can explain this to me.

A company can tell you that they aren't responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle on their "private" property. Yet, in the same breathe tell you what you can, and can't have in your vehicle.
This doesn't make any sense to me. But then again, no one ever said that I was a genius.

Eric
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah, Glen, but your car is on THEIR private property, and they have the right to prohibit it.  It sucks diseased donkey dick, but I'm also not going to be armed at the new job, but will still be doing close protection.  With what?!  My good looks?

Ok, I have an issue with this (not with you personally, but with the subject).  If the parking lot is open to the public then a private company has no inherent right to search your vehicle.  Exceptions include those times when, as a posted condition of entering the lot, you agree to allow a search.  I still think that this would not be a problem for a CCW holder on a private lot as you have no legal obligation to consent to a search and a private institution can't force one.  They can make you leave or bar you from the lot if you are a visitor.  Of course if you are seen with a firearm and your company has some policy against it they can fire you.  Missouri is an at will employment state and that is a two way street.  

I (almost) always have a firearm in my car trunk (for what good that will do!) when I travel.  The only time its been a problem was when I had to go on-post at Riley for a meeting.  I left the weapon home that day.

As far as I am concerned it is no one's business but MINE what I have in my trunk.  Without a warrant or probable cause no one gets in my trunk.  I don't don't consent to searches unless I am going in to it with my eyes open, i.e., I know I am going to the airport and they are popping trunks etc.  In those cases I don't have any thing objectionable with me anyway.

Thoughts?

Jeff D.
Yet another God d*mn lawyer
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Chris - I work in pretty much the same building you do and I never got that message. Plus, we're both contract workers and not privy to the same privledges or memos as real employees. I'm not sure why you got that message anyway. Doesn't it say "non-employee" after your name like it does mine??

jen
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Miranthis
I agree with you...

It is noboby's business what I have in my car...

Showing common sense when going to places that may require vehicle searches, is prudent...

But otherwise, it's nobodies business...

Also, Footnote...
Missouri Constitution states the the right to keep and bear arms to protect home, person and property shall not be questioned...
We pay property taxes on our vehicles, so I can carry in my vehicle - period, end of conversation...

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
My company sent out a reminder about our weapons policy today.  We already operate in several CCW states.  I don't think I would submit to a search of my vehicle at work, but I would probably be fired if I refused.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I seen a sign up at Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Kansas City at 2300 Main. I imagine all bcbs offices in MO have them or will have them up soon.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Add popeye's chicken on broadway in KCMO to the list of defenseless zones.
Seen a sign up there today, won't be eating there nomore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top