Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 4:34:45 PM EDT
20 Sept, $25 match fee.

I am not a member of GV. I think the $25 match fee is just too steep, unless they also provide ammo (I hope so).  Other Garand matches in the state usually charge less for match fee ($12 or $15) but they dont provide ammo (ammo is available for purchase separately).

If it is $25 w/o ammo, I will have to pass this one.  Putting together a Garand match for the sole purpose of making money just does not sit well with me.  Especially coming from a club who does not have an established high power rifle program.

Anyway, I will keep you posted.  

For those who wish to qualify for CMP purchase, this is it. Shoot the match, join the MSSA ($15 a year), then you are qualified to purchase M1 and others from CMP.

If you do not have an M1 rifle, let me know, I'll find out if GV will provide some loaners for free (most other places do, or some shooters will bring extra garands for those who are still "garand-less").

Oz
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Ozy, are you sure this is good enough for cmp gualified? if so im think im going be there, do you have more info on this? i got your 25 bucks if you want to do it maybe we can do it togther i can use all the help i can get. email me any more info you have on this. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
GV hosted a Garand match 2 years ago.  I sponsored Duke-Nukem to shoot the match using one of my M1.  In fact I took him out shooting at Finger Lake one time before the match to give him the experience on how to avoid getting a "garand thumb".  The match requires a rapid reloading during the rapid fire prone and sitting.  You start with 2 rounds in the gun, followed by a full enbloc clip, all within 70 seconds and 60 seconds, respectively.

Anyway, about a month after the match Duke received a nice certificate from CMP stating that he had participated in a CMP sanctioned Garand match.  

rmdye,  even if I dont shoot the match to protest a ridiculously high match fee (yeah, right, it costs a lot more to shoot at the nationals, but hey, GV is not Camp Perry), I will be there to provide technical assistance to new shooters.  I'll be happy to help out, including loaning some equipments (e.g. ground mat, spotting scope, sling, shooting coat, shooting glove, sight blacken, etc.).  I know two GV members who are long time high power shooters (one of them is my coach), they will be there to offer technical assistance too.

Regardless the match fee, the Garand match is one match that you should shoot at least once in your life.  Everytime I shoot one, I had chills goes up my spine, especially during rapid fire stage. Most of these rifles had seen combat in the defense of freedom and democracy.  Think about the men who carried them, who depended their lifes on the accuracy and reliability of the M1 rifle.  Think about the enemy whose lifes were taken by these rifles ... These are the rifles that won WW2, these rifles helped shaped America and the world as we know it today.  

You probably can tell, how much I love them.  Duke got his M1 from me.  It was hard for me to let it go.  I put so much TLC into that rifle to bring it back to its former glory.   Had it been someone else other than Duke-Nukem, I doubt I would let the M1 go.  Sorry, I always got carried away when it comes to the M1.

OZ

M1 lover/owner/shooter/historian/enthusiast
GCA (Garand Collector Association) member
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah!  They're great for killing hostages!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Hehehe ... I agree, Duke-Nukem has demonstrated a different approach to neutralize the bad guys, even if it means shooting through the hostages ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top