Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/14/2003 7:11:22 PM EDT
I might have to buy myself a new pistol. I figure some of my fellow Missourians are considering parting with some of their hard earned cash for the same reason. I thought it might be fun to solicit some ideas from the Missouri crowd (or the rest of the board if they have the desire). I have a USP45 which I love, but I'm not sure I want to carry it - at least not all the time. Besides, this is an excuse to buy something new. For myself I'm looking for a .45 1911 style. Thinking about Kimber. Gets lots of good press, advertises a lot. Lots of good comments on the board. Kimber is a little pricey, but not as much as the Ed Brown's that I really like. Suggestion on leather to carry it in would be appreciated as well. Anybody else with the itch?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/14/2003 8:32:18 PM EDT by Cutter75]
I make no bones that I'm a CZ75 fan.
However, my CZ75b is a little to large for CCW, but a CZ75b compact, or the new CZ-P01 are only slightly larger than the Sig or Walther 380 style handguns...

I, personally am sticking with 9mm simply because the rounds are cheap and plentiful... for both target practice and CCW...

I plan on enhancing my pistol shooting and round placement skills to the point that the size of the round is irrelevent. Hence the MODCC drills will put me at an advantage in a real crisis situation over a perpetrator, because I will have practiced under stressful conditions and he will have not...
Surprise, surprise the victim was not only armed, but prepared to use skillful, surgical force...
i.e. - (2) rounds between the eyes...

"So Punk, do ya feel lucky???"
"Well, do ya???"

As far as leather goes, I'm in the same boat as you Bob...
open for suggestions...

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2003 9:20:50 AM EDT by AimSmall]
Hopefully it will pass...

I would rather buy something new as well ...

The wife is set with her Walther in .380 but I would probably either go with a compact 1911 in .45ACP.

Of course I am open for suggestions as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:34:04 PM EDT
Let's start with barrel length. 3.5", 4"? What is the accuracy tradeoff?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:15:10 PM EDT
The possibility of concealed carry has had me pondering as well. I had considered the Glock 36, but I'm worried about being overpowered by it. My current thought is maybe a Kahr P9 with night sights, or perhaps the P9 covert. Single stack, 9mm, thin, light, accurate (or at least, that's what I've read). It's not a lock yet, but it's the frontrunner right now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:33:51 AM EDT
My only handgun is a P14.45

I'm sure a big double-stack .45 is going to be way too bulky to conceal.

Para Ordnance makes a compact. Has anyone ever fired one?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:03:26 AM EDT
Even my kel-tec p-11 is a little too big and heavy (~14ozs empty) to carry all the time. My Glock 21 needs a winter coat to not print through clothing when I bend forward. Often, when hot or otherwise inappropriate to have a concealing outer garmet, ie: untucked shirt or sport jacket, pocket carry is the only way to conceal while still having easy access to your piece. Just put your hand in your pocket and its there. Ankle carry would be slow to get to, thunder wear or smart carry type of crotch carry is not comfortable and can not really conceal a larger pistol than can fit in a front pocket. While I much prefer my 45 acp, and eleven rounds of 9mm in the little kel-tec don't leave me feeling too under gunned, the 9oz kel-tec p32 in 32auto or thier 380acp model will be my next hide out gun. You may not be able to scare off a dedicated attacker with seven rounds of tiny 32 auto in a tiny gun, but after a double or triple tap to the face at point blank "if they ain't dead, then thier not happy" either. To be as effectively armed outside your house as possible all the time will take two or three different sized handguns an as many holsters.

Dogma
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:51:07 PM EDT
My GF and I are looking into a gun for her.
So far the Springfield compacts and the XD9 look interesting, also considering a small Glock. As for me personally I like my toys a bit bigger and older. Since I am a C&R type I am trying to decide between a CZ52, TT33 or a Star super Modello A. I do have a Ballester-Molina which is a 1911 type copy, cheap and very reliable they are around 200 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:10:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PITSNIPE:
My only handgun is a P14.45

I'm sure a big double-stack .45 is going to be way too bulky to conceal.

Para Ordnance makes a compact. Has anyone ever fired one?

I've never shot one of the LDA's but they look sharp.

www.paraord.com/pages/single/CCW745S.html

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:59:18 PM EDT
As I'm broke, I am saving my pennies for a Charles Daly M1911-A1 EFS. The one that I handled rather impressed me as far as fit and finish. Besides, all my holsters are for 1911s, and I can't afford a Kimber!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:21:00 PM EDT
Well it's probably obvious from my nickname :) If I can get one of my fullsize CZ's to conceal enough to suit me I'll just use one of them. If I couldn't and was to purchase something, naturally it would be a compact CZ75 or a PCR. Don't really care for the looks of the p-01, although I haven't seen/handled one in the flesh. I've got a couple of CZ83's, one in .380 and the other in 9mm Mak I might consider, but they are fairly large for the calibers they shoot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:00:17 PM EDT
Hey MoBob,

You read my mind. With the potential of the passage, I picked up a Kimber Pro Carry. Fired a 100 rounds two weeks ago. Sweet gun. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it will be my only handgun.

I'll be bringing it to the shoot next week if you want to try it out. Always willing to help an addict!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:23:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jcbrown:
Hey MoBob,

You read my mind. With the potential of the passage, I picked up a Kimber Pro Carry. Fired a 100 rounds two weeks ago. Sweet gun. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it will be my only handgun.

I'll be bringing it to the shoot next week if you want to try it out. Always willing to help an addict!

I hope to take you up on that offer! Thanks.
Top Top