Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Swan Creek is GTG for surpressed, a real nice range now. Ditto Mike's Gun shop in Hartselle!
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They made some improvements since I was last there.  I particularly like the concrete tabletops.

I was a member in the early 90's when I lived in OXR.  Is Jim/James whats-his-name still in charge?  A Fudd of the highest order.

I prefer wood. Concrete has a tendency to scratch stuff.
My solution:

https://i.imgur.com/8Z0yws5.jpg

That’s a nice set up!
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You might want to look South of Huntsville too.  Down 231 you can get a lot more property for the money.  Every direction has it's pros and cons.
View Quote

my advice too.  I'm looking to move out of huntsville to union grove or arab in a year or two.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

my advice too.  I'm looking to move out of huntsville to union grove or arab in a year or two.
View Quote
If schools are not a factor, any area outside of Madison City will save you a lot of mortgage cash. The areas mentioned above or Limestone county, or Morgan county. Or, what I would do if I could do it over, southern TN.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If schools are not a factor, any area outside of Madison City will save you a lot of mortgage cash. The areas mentioned above or Limestone county, or Morgan county. Or, what I would do if I could do it over, southern TN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, NO, NO!!!!!!

South central TN SUCKS!!!!!!  Do not, repeat, do NOT move up here.   You will forking regret it!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask me how I know!

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NO, NO, NO!!!!!!
South central TN SUCKS!!!!!!  Do not, repeat, do NOT move up here.   You will forking regret it!!!!!!!!!!!
Ask me how I know!

View Quote
Don't temp me !!
Looks nice man, looks very nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm also interested in moving to Northern Alabama.  After my wife retires in a couple of years.  We're thinking North East of Huntsville sorta between Huntsville and Chattanooga.  Semi-rural and an area with a low proportion of meth heads and thugs.  Any suggestions in that area?
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Follow Hwy 72 from Huntsville to Scottsboro. Anywhere 20 miles outside of Huntsville will be fine. But you need to hurry. Its really starting to build up everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Follow Hwy 72 from Huntsville to Scottsboro. Anywhere 20 miles outside of Huntsville will be fine. But you need to hurry. Its really starting to build up everywhere.
View Quote
Thanks.  I'm hoping that area will remain conservative and down to earth.  Mention Alabama as a place to retire and the leftards around here freak out.  Most of them want to retire to North Carolina.  Good.  Well, bad for North Carolina.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I'm hoping that area will remain conservative and down to earth.  Mention Alabama as a place to retire and the leftards around here freak out.  Most of them want to retire to North Carolina.  Good.  Well, bad for North Carolina.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also look from Scottsboro to Ft. Payne on Highway 35.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
We are really looking forward to moving south to get away from most of the winter weather.  We don't mind the heat too much.  

We do have another reason to get out of Ohio.  When we bought our modest 2500 sq ft ranch in 2011 the property tax was $2800 a year.  That has ballooned to $4400 a year and we just got a property evaluation increase from the county that will push our taxes to $5300 a year next year.  On the November ballot is a school levy that will probably pass and drive up our taxes to $5850.  That is an awful lot for the privilege of freezing my ass off and shoveling snow.  

From our point of view, NE Alabama has big pluses in culture, climate, proximity to great motorcycle roads, proximity (compared to Ohio) to nice beaches and mountains, Barber Motorsports Park, outdoors activities and we could certainly find better use for our money than real estate tax.  From what I've seen looking online at Alabama real estate property taxes we'd save $4000 or more a year.  I'd rather spend that $4000 locally on increasing my BMI fueled by BBQ and on travel.   Alabama has 2A rights covered so we have no worries there.    
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We are really looking forward to moving south to get away from most of the winter weather.  We don't mind the heat too much.  

We do have another reason to get out of Ohio.  When we bought our modest 2500 sq ft ranch in 2011 the property tax was $2800 a year.  That has ballooned to $4400 a year and we just got a property evaluation increase from the county that will push our taxes to $5300 a year next year.  On the November ballot is a school levy that will probably pass and drive up our taxes to $5850.  That is an awful lot for the privilege of freezing my ass off and shoveling snow.  

From our point of view, NE Alabama has big pluses in culture, climate, proximity to great motorcycle roads, proximity (compared to Ohio) to nice beaches and mountains, Barber Motorsports Park, outdoors activities and we could certainly find better use for our money than real estate tax.  From what I've seen looking online at Alabama real estate property taxes we'd save $4000 or more a year.  I'd rather spend that $4000 locally on increasing my BMI fueled by BBQ and on travel.   Alabama has 2A rights covered so we have no worries there.    
View Quote

Stay away from the Montgomery/river region. The humidity in the summer is Miserable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The closer you get to Huntsville, you want to stay north of Hwy 72.  Two words:  Hampton Cove Cancer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The closer you get to Huntsville, you want to stay north of Hwy 72.  Two words:  Hampton Cove Cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They might hate corn.  Don't have them count out Hampton Cove.

And regarding Property Taxes from his other post.  My property taxes were $368 for the year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And regarding Property Taxes from his other post.  My property taxes were $368 for the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a west-central Ohio German farm boy.  The country elementary school I went to in the '60s allowed sixth-grade boys to bring their shotguns to school, on the bus, propped up in the corner of the classroom, and then go hunting after school.  Got my own beer when the day was done as soon as I could drive tractor - I was 8.  Love corn.  Sweet and endless fields of dent corn.   The country has mostly turned to shit compared to the freedoms we had in our own slice of rural heaven back then before the state took notice that we were not in step with the coming lefty, Karen rich paradise.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ahh - got me - I remember that thread now.  I didn't understand that reference, unlike Capt America.  No Mo HOAs for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:19:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm in HSV city but also Limestone county....  ~$750 property taxes per year.  No HOA and 1500 sq ft.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It'll be just the wife & I, no kids.
Still looking for a decent size place as we need our own room for hobbies and stuff.
Single story, 4bd, 3ba, 3 car, 2300+ sq ft.
Local ranges don't seem too plenty, but Last Resort Guns is somewhat close by for indoor shooting.
Been spoiled with my local indoor range only 7 minutes away.

View Quote

Most ranges around here are nfa friedly.

That being said, the public ranges suck.

Longest around is 200 yrs on skyline.

Idiots abound at them especially on the weekends.

I got so fed up with it i joined a private range.

Hobbs island shooting range.

Memberships start about $35 a month i beleive.

Over 300 yards on rifle range.

So far i really like it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top