Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2017 4:20:14 PM EDT
I've been in the Hoover area for going on 5 months.  I'm based in Boston and am down here working a consulting engagement for a client.  I'm an aficionado of fine food, adult beverages, the occasional cigar, accurate weapons and attractive conservative women.  Thru trial and error (mostly error) I've found some items here in the deep South that I'd not heard of prior to my arrival:

Milo's tea
   Duke's mayonnaise
   Pimento cheese (this stuff is like crack!  How do you not eat the whole container?)

IMHO, all the above are outstanding!  No wonder it doesn't show up above the Mason-Dixon line.  I'd keep it confidential too.

If you're willing to share, what else is unique to the area that I should try?

I've found the restaurant scene here (with one notable exception) to be dismal, and I've had no luck with finding quality BBQ at all, at all.  But, that's another thread.

Edit1:
"BBQ places are like churches in the south because they are everywhere. Only a few good ones and that is subjective. Where have you tried?"

I've sorta avoided any BBQ discussion as I had the feeling that personal opinions on BBQ would be like talking about religion.
Thanks for all the feedback.  Now I've got options!  Keep 'em coming if you would.

Edit2:
Went to Mr. P's Deli on Shades Crest in Hoover.  Had an awesome double meat brisket sub.  They also have mufalettas if anyone's interested.  And, how did I not know about Zapp's chips?  Yum!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw's BBQ is really good.  They have 3 locations.  The juke joint in Crestline village and the one in Avondale has the best smoked wings ever.  The one in Homewood has really good wings.  Ocean has really good seafood.  The Seafood Market in Hoover has good seafood has well.   Look up Iron City.  They have a great restaurant and its a good concert venue.  There is always a good show going on there.  Wide range of acts.  There is a pair of restaurants in the area called The Little Donkey.  Great mexican and killer fried chicken.  The Ridge and Soho are really good also. They are owned by a pretty cool gun guy also.  JMHO
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Breaking Bread is happening tomorrow, Sunday 24th, at Sloss.   Its pretty much the group of folks that is renovating downtown birmingham.  

Rusty's bbq is one of my favorites in leeds, alabama.  You can also visit bass pro shop after you're done eating.  I like the burgers at mugshots, but today I heard Jacksons? in downtown homewood is good too.

I guess for fine dining, highland's bar and grill in 5 points is always a top contender.  Chef fon fon next door has good burgers and soups too.  For a gastropub feel, Carrigans is great the drinks are good and the menu is pretty good too.  For brunch theres a good place up on 31 in Vestavia called Kinglers, good for crepes and pasteries alike.  If you like my suggestions, maybe I can provide more later.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out Ragtime Cafe on Valleydale for a good supper and Joe's Italian in Alabaster for the best Italian food around.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Ragtime Cafe on Valleydale for a good supper and Joe's Italian in Alabaster for the best Italian food around.
View Quote
+1 to this. Amazing food.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
conecuh sausage.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+2 .. love this place
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Nikki's West is a must. Its cafeteria style but great cooking. Know what you want when you get in line. Order a cinnamon roll once you are at the table. It's heaven

Jerusalem grill over on 280 has the best mid east food in town. Their pita bread is the best I've ever had. For your first time there order the combination plate. It's a different kind of restaurant order and sit but no tip unless you want. He pays them a fair hourly wage.

BBQ places are like churches in the south because they are everywhere. Only a few good ones and that is subjective. Where have you tried?

For fast food you have to try Jack's. They are better than any of the national chains. Their chicken is aways good.

I don't like any of the Alabama beers. I'm not a fan of IPA in the first place. So I can't help you on Alabama brews. However if you are looking for a good Alabama wine I can give you a place. It's the only winery in Alabama I like besides my wine. Lewis Lakes winery in Columbiana is a little winery off hwy 47. He is open on Saturdays for tastings and sales. His wines are not sweet wines even though he does have one semi sweet. It's good stuff. He is a local with his wine. So what you see in the field is what your drinking. It's the only winery I've been to here that does it all local
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nikki's West is a must. Its cafeteria style but great cooking. Know what you want when you get in line. Order a cinnamon roll once you are at the table. It's heaven

Jerusalem grill over on 280 has the best mid east food in town. Their pita bread is the best I've ever had. For your first time there order the combination plate. It's a different kind of restaurant order and sit but no tip unless you want. He pays them a fair hourly wage.

BBQ places are like churches in the south because they are everywhere. Only a few good ones and that is subjective. Where have you tried?

For fast food you have to try Jack's. They are better than any of the national chains. Their chicken is aways good.

I don't like any of the Alabama beers. I'm not a fan of IPA in the first place. So I can't help you on Alabama brews. However if you are looking for a good Alabama wine I can give you a place. It's the only winery in Alabama I like besides my wine. Lewis Lakes winery in Columbiana is a little winery off hwy 47. He is open on Saturdays for tastings and sales. His wines are not sweet wines even though he does have one semi sweet. It's good stuff. He is a local with his wine. So what you see in the field is what your drinking. It's the only winery I've been to here that does it all local
View Quote
cahaba blonde is a great light beer
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Good People
Cahaba
Trim Tab

All good breweries in Birmingham.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you try some nice boiled peanuts while your in the area.  Find some peach cobbler and blackberry cobbler.  These are just a few of my favorite things lol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
cahaba blonde is a great light beer
View Quote
i have not tried it but i will now. Give me a good steak and chimay reserve and I am a happy man
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Conecuh Sausage
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Look up Blue Pacific in the old Hoover Mart gas station. Best Thai food around.
Other than that, I think everyone else has hit the high points.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Highlands, Bottegas, Hot and Hot Fish Club.

Bright Star. Niki's West.

Dreamland for ribs and Full Moon for pork.
View Quote
Definitely get some Dreamland ribs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Miss Myra's bbq in Cahaba Heights
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Southern Flavor is great on hamburgers.  It's usually on its own rack in the stores.  Small red spice bottle. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
GTO cigars is based in Alabama.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Mr P's is a goto for us, we live pretty close by.

The Bluff Park Diner down at the next intersection on Shades Crest is a decent meat and three joint. 

Ditto on thee Bright Star in Bessemer; I have never had a bad meal there and have been going since I was kid. Best crab claws in town. 

The Pita Cafe on John Hawkins Pkway (Hwy 150) is pretty good Mediterranean fare. In the same strip mall is Totrugas Pizza, which is Chicago style deep dish pizza done pretty authentically. 

Baumhowers up in Patton Creek is a good spot for wings and a beer.  If you want take out American Chinese, try New China in Bluff Park, fast and consistently decent food.

La Playa Nayarita on Greensprings in Homewood is good Mexican seafood.

Birmingham/Hoover has a lot to offer food wise, large Greek, Italian, Lebanese, Hispanic populations plus good old southern cooking makes for a good food scene. 

Edit: My son just told me to add Wasabi Juans, an asian/latin fusion joint over in the Lorna area of Hoover. They have good Poke. Also try the food halls down town. It can be hectic, but the food is varied and good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top