Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2017 8:08:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder that too. I guess I need to go to the hoover library over the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Every time I've been there they do have one posted up at a desk right at the entrance. I don't go every week, but at least once a month.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I think that the AG is wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the requirement was posting of a guard AND access control through some type of barrier. Key card, biometric, turnstyle, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the requirement was posting of a guard AND access control through some type of barrier. Key card, biometric, turnstyle, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here's the relevant section of the Code of Alabama:

13A-11-61.2(b)
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), a person, including a person with a permit issued under
Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, may not, without the express permission of
a person or entity with authority over the premises, knowingly possess or carry a firearm inside any building
or facility to which access of unauthorized persons and prohibited articles is limited during normal hours of
operation by the continuous posting of guards and the use of other security features, including, but not
limited to, magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers.
I'm no lawyer, but it says continuous posting of guards AND the use of other security features.  I've never been to the Hoover library, but unless the door is locked and you are buzzed in, an unlocked door wouldn't be considered a security feature.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
He made the same ruling regarding Von Braun Center in Huntsville.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm no lawyer, but it says continuous posting of guards AND the use of other security features.  I've never been to the Hoover library, but unless the door is locked and you are buzzed in, an unlocked door wouldn't be considered a security feature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

13A-11-61.2(b)
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), a person, including a person with a permit issued under
Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, may not, without the express permission of
a person or entity with authority over the premises, knowingly possess or carry a firearm inside any building
or facility to which access of unauthorized persons and prohibited articles is limited during normal hours of
operation by the continuous posting of guards and the use of other security features, including, but not
limited to, magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers.
This must be the same "and" that disappeared from the 14th Amendment.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The real question is if in practice will Hoover PD arrest you if you carry a weapon past them, concealed, and it later becomes visible?

In practice, I haven't set foot in a library since the early 1990s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The real question is if in practice will Hoover PD arrest you if you carry a weapon past them, concealed, and it later becomes visible?

In practice, I haven't set foot in a library since the early 1990s.
View Quote
Most Librarians are Liberals that will go ballistic if they see a gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Concealed means concealed......

If I lived closer, i'd stop by regularly to see if a LEO was actually on duty at the entrance and document it if he wasn't.  The AG's office wouldn't be happy if the Hoover library pulled a fast one on them.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I lived closer, i'd stop by regularly to see if a LEO was actually on duty at the entrance and document it if he wasn't.  The AG's office wouldn't be happy if the Hoover library pulled a fast one on them.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law does NOT require a LEO but it Does require "magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers" which last time that I checked they do NOT have.  The AG is WRONG!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The law does NOT require a LEO but it Does require "magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers" which last time that I checked they do NOT have.  The AG is WRONG!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not LEO, but it does require "continuous posting of a guard".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top