Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2017 9:46:46 AM EDT
Hello all. My fiancee and I will be in Gulf Shores for a week, starting 7/15. I'm a history buff, and I'm also interested in milsurp shops and such. She likes some of the same stuff, so we are looking for suggestions, any input welcome.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Pensacola Air Museum. USS Alabama. Forts Morgan and Fort Gaines - Dauphin Island. Flora-Bama

Things to Do in Gulf Shores

Bungee Jump Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores Attractions And Things To Do
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I planned a day trip to Fort Morgan, was not aware of the Alabama. Not sure how I overlooked that one....
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
That's on on my list now, thanks! I've been to Wright-Patterson, this is a great idea.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you like fishing, check out Zeke's Marina. You can go inshore, offshore, or deep sea fishing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I love it, but I'm pretty much a bait and weight man. I'll put that on my list for next time, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love it, but I'm pretty much a bait and weight man. I'll put that on my list for next time, thanks!
View Quote
There are plenty of piers and points to fish off of down there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Good suggestions so far. If you are a history buff I'd suggest one thing that doesn't make many to-do lists.  We used to rent a beach house in FM on the gulf side, off Cortez st. We walked up the beach (east) and saw the remains of what the locals think is confederate ship that that tried to run the blockade the Union established. Suposedly, the Yankees captured it and set it on fire. Sometimes the sand gets washed away and it is visible.  Everything above the water line is burned away, but still neat to see.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone had actually mentioned that to me. I hope I can can catch it at the right time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Disreguard.  That was a 2016 warning that popped up on my facebook.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't go in the water.  There is a fecal bacteria warning across the pan handle and south Alabama beaches.
View Quote
They are talking about Flesh Eating Bacteria now.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I miss "old" Gulf Shores. It was like Mayberry, but at the beach. As a kid, the only entertainment I needed was Souvenir City, Jeanne's, the amusement park, and the Friendship House restaurant. Chasing sand crabs at night with nets and flashlights.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]
So we had a great time in Gulf Shores, went to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, hit the beach every day, ate out quite a bit. We went to The Keg, walked in the door, saw two drunks hollering at each other, turned around and walked out. I noticed a syringe that someone had discarded near the base of the tree in the parking lot, and I figure this confirmed our decision to skip The Keg. Papa Rocco's was somewhat better, not much. We ate at a couple chain restaurants that we don't have in Kentucky, and they were all pretty good. 

I'm just going to say that we did not run into a single rude or discourteous person in Gulf Shores. Everyone we met was polite, friendly, and just plain good people. The staff people at our hotel were very nice, professional, and courteous. I would go back any day, and I hope to do just that. Alabama, you're all right!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The Keg?!?!! Of all the places to end up down there...I will say that your experience there is normal.

I've always really liked the food at Papa Rocco's.

Next time hit up Doc's. It's my favorite
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Keg?!?!! Of all the places to end up down there...I will say that your experience there is normal.

I've always really liked the food at Papa Rocco's.

Next time hit up Doc's. It's my favorite
View Quote
I think someone recommended Doc's, didn't have time to work it in. As for The Keg, someone recommended it on another site, won't be returning. Rocco's was just okay, pizza was a bit....runny.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Short drive over to Pensacola to see the Navy Aviation Museum.

One of the most impressive I have seen.

If you take a slight detour you can visit the Ft Rucker Army aviation museum.
View Quote
Spent a day there. The USAF museum at Wright-Patterson has more stuff, but the Navy museum lets you TOUCH AIRPLANES. I prefer the Navy one now. I touched an Allison V12!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top