Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2017 5:25:55 AM EDT
I hate our laws on the NV subject are antiquated.  NV is completely prohibited unless you are target shooting.  Not to mention IR devices for illumination.

Is there a movement to introduce wording changes to allow for some use of NV devices while hunting in Alabama?  Predator hunting only or feral hog and coyote wording needs to be added.

I would even compromise on the law being restrictive of NV during deer season to avoid those who would use it for that purpose.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Outdoor Alabama Legal Methods of hunting

Section 1(c)  and 1(e) specifically.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would even compromise on the law being restrictive of NV during deer season to avoid those who would use it for that purpose.

Discuss.
View Quote
Why?

We already have a law that governs hunting at night. No need to add more laws or provisions that are already on the books.
Under a new bill passed by the Alabama legislature, "nighttime hours" are defined as "30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before
sunrise of the following day, as sunrises and sunsets are recorded by the United States Naval Observatory."
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?

We already have a law that governs hunting at night. No need to add more laws or provisions that are already on the books.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss.
Why?

Under a new bill passed by the Alabama legislature, "nighttime hours" are defined as "30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before
sunrise of the following day, as sunrises and sunsets are recorded by the United States Naval Observatory."
I agree more laws cloud the understanding.  Stating NV is legal only for certain game should be enough.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get exemptions for destructive species if you are trying to hog hunt. Might ought to talk to your local green jeans and see where that gets you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can get exemptions for destructive species if you are trying to hog hunt. Might ought to talk to your local green jeans and see where that gets you.
View Quote
+1 that and coyotes too. I hate coyotes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree more laws cloud the understanding.  Stating NV is legal only for certain game should be enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss.
Why?

They are scared that you "Might" use it to take deer at night.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can't shoot one at night now, being able to see it wouldn't change that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you just apply logic to an Illogical Government?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you use NVG and Thermal if you have  depredation documents for nuisance animals?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Looked at this during our push to legalize suppressors for hunting in Alabama ( https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_31/541846_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Legalization-Effort-for-Alabama-Suppressor-Hunting--Success-Confirmed---page-7-.html&page=1 )  Feedback we recieved was that NV could be approved for non-game animals on private land where a damage permit had been issued.  

Now that suppressor legalization has been around without obvious atrocities occuring, it might be time to put together a case to bring before the AL DCNR to update the rules to allow use of NV for the taking of listed non-game animals recognized as pests (e.g. feral hogs).  Benefit could be improved control of this destructive invasive pest, and potential recapture of night hog hunting industry that currently goes to neighboring states with less restrictive policies.   Package might include statements from neighboring states conservation boards about abuses or lack there of from night vision, the fact that by the time yo7 can afford night vision you probably have too much to lose by risking already illegal night hunting of game animals, and that the DCNR can always reverse the policy back to no NV if a trial period uncovers any noteworthy NV abuse.  Can always see if we can get a kind word out of Cabelas, guided hunting outfitters, etc in favor as well.

Anyone, especially those down toward Montgomery, interested to help me put together such a pitch and influence campaign?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top