Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 7:42:00 PM EDT
Going to be in Montgomery for a year starting this July.  Bringing along the wife and two young boys.

What's cool to do around there?  And where is the go-to place for FFL transfers?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't live in Montgomery. Prattville is where I'd live.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Beach. Beach. Beach.  Otherwise there is NOT a lot to do in Montgomery.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Rule #1 make sure you have a Glock and you will be fine.  Don't venture off in unknown areas after dark or during the day.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Check on that.  

I'll actually be living in the Deer Creek neighborhood.  Won't be living in the down-town.  I lived in Oakland California for seven years.  I've seen that elephant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a lot of history in Montgomery (Civil War to Civil Rights), so you can see some good museums and historical attractions.  The Montgomery Biscuits minor league team is here as well.

Other than that, you have to drive to see and do a lot of things.

I have a friend who is a dealer that does transfers for me for a reasonable cost.  His name is Seth Smith and his company is 29 Tactical.  If you are on FaceBook, search for his page and contact information.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check on that.  

I'll actually be living in the Deer Creek neighborhood.  Won't be living in the down-town.  I lived in Oakland California for seven years.  I've seen that elephant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check on that.  

Downtown is Dead on Weekends and after 5PM.  It's NOT the Dangerous part of town.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Check on that.  

View Quote
Deer Creek is nice. 

I helped my boss's mother move there last month, from CA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking for things like Billy Joel concerts, you're sol.  If you're looking for things to do with the family, you're good.

tonight was the symphony concert at the capitol.  Free.  Tomorrow will be farmers
karket and something downtown.  Monday has family stuff everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Check on that.  

View Quote
Pike Road and Prattville always have good stuff going on for the small town thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Check on that.  

View Quote
Deer Creek isn't bad.  I've a couple of friends that live out there.  East Chase is a nice area.  And Pike Road is nice as well.  Areas of Montgomery are nice and other areas aren't.  You can usually figure out which are which pretty easily.  I've been out of the area too long to recommend the current go to on FFL down there but Gulf States are generally good people.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Pike Road is a really new school, I believe they just finished their first or second year being open.

From what I can tell, they're serious about education. The teacher application is an extremely detailed process that only someone who is committed to teaching will complete.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pike Road is a really new school, I believe they just finished their first or second year being open.

From what I can tell, they're serious about education. The teacher application is an extremely detailed process that only someone who is committed to teaching will complete.
View Quote
They also dropped over $1 million on playground equipment from Gametime/Playcor this year.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you apply? @HeyCoach
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you apply? @HeyCoach
View Quote
Yes. I assume they weren't interested in hiring a new teacher with zero experience outside of student teaching and subbing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
A major thing to do with family there is the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.  It is one of the premier theaters in the world.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes. I assume they weren't interested in hiring a new teacher with zero experience outside of student teaching and subbing.
View Quote
Gotcha.  They are some in demand jobs.  Let me know if they ever pick you up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The Montgomery Zoo is great, one of our favorites to visit when in town.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#20]
You have parks, the Zoo, the Shakespeare Festival as mentioned. The Archives and History Museum downtown is pretty awesome.
There are some good restaurants around. Eastchase is a nice place to shop. Not far from the white sugar beaches of the Gulf coast.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Montgomery Biscuits baseball games over at the Riverwalk.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's a lot to do in AL, in Montgomery....?
I'll let the locals take point.

A few hours south you have the Battleship park on Mobile Bay.
Birmingham has the McWane Science Center.
Huntsville, the Space Center.

At least you have a Costco.
View Quote
Point - it only takes 5-1/2 hours or so to drive from Huntsville to Mobile, I am outside Huntsville. Everyone thinks the grass is greener somewhere else when it comes to "things to do." That being said The American Village at Montevallo, The Peanut Festival in Dothan, you'll only be 2-1/2 to 3 hours from the best beaches stretching from Baldwin County in Alabama to Gulf County in Florida. You're not far from, dare I say it, Atlanta that has lots going on , besides traffic. You'll have plenty to do and see with a family of four.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top