Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 8:03:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Huntsville is a great city to live in.  The crime rate is good most anywhere.  The schools are best IMO on the South side of town (Grissom and Huntsville High School districts).  

As for statistics you should try this website.
http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/

What industry are you looking for a job in?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I suggest looking at the Madison area.  I know some folks around there and it seems to be a pretty low-key area.  Nice neighborhoods, ranging from middle class to upper-middle class.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Stay out of the northwest unless you get into Madison. Southeast is great but houses cost twice what they do in the NW. NE is ok if you go over the mountain into Hampton Cove. Back off twenty miles in any direction from the city and there are lots of rural areas where you can get twice the house for what you would pay in town. Crime is based on area where ypu live. My power bill is about $125 a month in summer, $50 in winter but I use a wood burning stove. Depending on the area houses are from $75-200,000.

rk
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have lived in Huntsville my entire life.  Stay out of Madison unless you like traffic delays.  Madison has outgrown its rural roads.  I would only buy in Madison if you are going to work near the airport.  I live in South East Huntsville.  I suggest living in the Challenger and Grissom school district.  Swan Creek shooting range is about 45 minutes drive from the house.  Crime is not too bad on the South end of town.  Housing will cost a little more but it's worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have lived in Huntsville my entire life.  Stay out of Madison unless you like traffic delays.  Madison has outgrown its rural roads.  I would only buy in Madison if you are going to work near the airport.  I live in South East Huntsville.  I suggest living in the Challenger and Grissom school district.  Swan Creek shooting range is about 45 minutes drive from the house.  Crime is not too bad on the South end of town.  Housing will cost a little more but it's worth it in my opinion.

I've lived in Madison now for 11 years most of this is true.  It takes me about 10 minutes to get to work, but I do it at 5:30 AM and get off around 3:30 PM so miss most of it.

Madison is a good place to live, but it's growing faster than it should due to the City gov't being owned by the real estate developers.

However, it's not much better anywhere else.  Stay out of the NE (i.e. north of University, west of Chapman Mtn., east of Rideout Rd/Research Park Rd.  My .020.

Got kids?  Madison City Schools are the best public schools in North Alabama, with the SE Hsv. city schools not far behind.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I drove up to Hunstville to look around and I did like the area. The job was in the Southeast area near the Arsenal. I declined the offer but I will keep the area in mind since there is a lot of Tech. jobs in the area.

Lock-Mart, west side of Parkway, just south of Airport?

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
South Side, DEFINITELY.

North Town is referred to as, well, sorry to say, Racial Slur, beginning with the letter "N"  North

Other than that, Huntspatch is a great place to live.

Born and raised close to there.

SG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top