Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:05:02 PM EDT
I am looking for work on one,anybody know of openings?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:43:21 PM EDT
What kind of work are you looking for? Pretty much all of the drilling contractors hire roustabouts all the time. You plan on moving to the Louisiana/Mississippi/Texas?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:48:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
What kind of work are you looking for? Pretty much all of the drilling contractors hire roustabouts all the time. You plan on moving to the Louisiana/Mississippi/Texas?

Roustabout, if the pay is as well as i have been told.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:44:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HarrySacz:

Roustabout, if the pay is as well as i have been told.

I work in the oil/gas industry. Below are are some company names and locations of thier offices. Hope this is a good point in the right direction.

E&I:
Test Automation and Controls
Omega Automation Services
MMR Technologies

Drilling:
Transocean
Helmerich & Payne, Inc.

Offshore vessels/ships:
Edison Chouest Offshore
SEACOR Marine
Hornbeck Offshore Services
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:55:32 PM EDT
you might check out www.rigzone.com

They have offshore postings of all sorts, from roustabout on up. Rig hand, service hand, you name it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:49:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zack3g:

They have offshore postings of all sorts, from roustabout on up. Rig hand, service hand, you name it.

You work offshore also????? I'm in the E&I field
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:47:16 PM EDT
Pride Offshore in Houma is sometimes looking for hands.
You might can try them 985-872-4700.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:38:17 PM EDT
There was another thread in GD. I think Harry has come to his senses. Seems someone overstated what a roustabout would make as starting pay.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:20:54 AM EDT

There was another thread in GD. I think Harry has come to his senses. Seems someone overstated what a roustabout would make as starting pay.

the $15 or so an hour they make is nothing to sneeze at on an offshore schedule..but, make no mistake they do work for their money.

Me, i like my little air conditioned shack. Fuck being out in the weather.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:21:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wjwill:

Yeah, currently a mudlogger.. possibly considering a career change, or at the very least a company change. The one i'm working for now has done some restructuring that I'm not too thrilled with.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:22:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ronnie66:
Pride Offshore in Houma is sometimes looking for hands.
You might can try them 985-872-4700.
hr

Intresting, Im from Houma myself..
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT

Yeah, currently a mudlogger.. possibly considering a career change, or at the very least a company change. The one i'm working for now has done some restructuring that I'm not too thrilled with.

Thats not a bad trade. I'm the onbe they send out to hook up the wells after the tree is set down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:48:43 PM EDT

Thats not a bad trade. I'm the onbe they send out to hook up the wells after the tree is set down.

Not bad as in easy..yeah. The pay sucks, though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:24:49 PM EDT

What part of Louisiana are you from??????? St. Charles Parish here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:02:46 PM EDT
Tag for later!

Andrew
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:55:45 PM EDT
Have worked in the offshore industry for about 28 years. Started out on a drilling rig and moved into production after three years. There are several ways to approach this. Do you want to continue living in North Dakota and work in the oil industry or do you want to move closer? Do you want to relocate into South Louisiana?
If you want to continue living in ND then about the only thing you can do is work the boats. These are the supply vessels that service the rigs and production platforms. Expect to have to work hard for the first few years until you move up the ladder and get your marine certificates. Basically you can work as long as you want and then go home for a few weeks. Schedules run like 21/7, 28/14, etc. Expect to travel on your own time.
If you want to move closer, you can get a job actually working on the rigs or platforms working a steady shift like 7/7, or 14/14. Living conditions on the rigs can run from shitty to pretty plush depending on the company. You need to have or develop a good skill like instrumentation, electronics, mechanical, or electrical.
If you want to move into the thick of it, there are all kinds of service companies around S. Louisiana. Most are located in Lafayette, New Iberia, and the Houma/Thibodeaux areas. They work mostly 24hr call. Be prepared to work alot and get called out at all times. You can make alot of money this way but expect to be separated from friends and family.
Think about what you want to do and maybe we can give you some more advice. Sometimes it pays to just get your foot in the door. If you are interested, I can post some links to some newspaper classifieds.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:04:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By huggybro:
Have worked in the offshore industry for about 28 years. Started out on a drilling rig and moved into production after three years. There are several ways to approach this. Do you want to continue living in North Dakota and work in the oil industry or do you want to move closer? Do you want to relocate into South Louisiana?
If you want to continue living in ND then about the only thing you can do is work the boats. These are the supply vessels that service the rigs and production platforms. Expect to have to work hard for the first few years until you move up the ladder and get your marine certificates. Basically you can work as long as you want and then go home for a few weeks. Schedules run like 21/7, 28/14, etc. Expect to travel on your own time.
If you want to move closer, you can get a job actually working on the rigs or platforms working a steady shift like 7/7, or 14/14. Living conditions on the rigs can run from shitty to pretty plush depending on the company. You need to have or develop a good skill like instrumentation, electronics, mechanical, or electrical.
If you want to move into the thick of it, there are all kinds of service companies around S. Louisiana. Most are located in Lafayette, New Iberia, and the Houma/Thibodeaux areas. They work mostly 24hr call. Be prepared to work alot and get called out at all times. You can make alot of money this way but expect to be separated from friends and family.
Think about what you want to do and maybe we can give you some more advice. Sometimes it pays to just get your foot in the door. If you are interested, I can post some links to some newspaper classifieds.

Before I got into the E&I field, I was in the Merchant Marines for 9 years. I worked for Edison Chouest out of Galliano, Louisiana.

If he does go to work on vessels.......... I would recomend going into the enginerrom department. Atleast then, after you get a license you can apply it else where other than just vessels because of your experience.

As for a Captain's license, all you will ever be able to do is run vessels.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:48:22 AM EDT

What part of Louisiana are you from??????? St. Charles Parish here.

Texas originally, living in Lafayette now. .
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:21:35 PM EDT

No, i am still working on it,just got an app in the mail from Rowan today.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:17:47 PM EDT

Been on a few Rowan rigs. If you get the choice, I recommend the Rowan Bob Keller. VERY nice rig.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:31:29 PM EDT

Keep us updated. Rowan is a good company if you want to do it for the long haul. A lot of companies lay off quite a bit when work slows down. Rowan is one of the companies that tend to keep their employees busy even when the oilfield slows down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:54:17 PM EDT

I say just get in with the merchant marines.
Top Top