Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:00:05 AM EDT
Just FYI - this is being released to the media statewide...

Influenza detected in Alabama

Influenza activity has been detected in several parts of the state, including Baldwin, Cullman, Etowah, Jefferson, Lauderdale, Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa counties. The strain of influenza found in Jefferson County was the most common type seen in the remainder of the United States this year, type A (H3N2).

“Many clinics and physician offices have exhausted their supply of vaccine; however, it may not be too late to be vaccinated for influenza if you can find it available,” said Dr. Donald Williamson, state health officer, "Even though it takes two weeks for the vaccine to induce immunity, it still may be worthwhile to be vaccinated this season.”

Influenza has been detected later than usual in the state. Dr. J.P, Lofgren, state epidemiologist, said. "Influenza is unpredictable. In Alabama influenza can occur any time between November and March. Influenza outbreaks occur with regularity, so the take home lesson is to be immunized in October or November if possible.”

Michael Likos, epidemiologist with the health department’s Division of Epidemiology, said, "It is difficult to precisely monitor where influenza is occurring throughout the entire state, and so this highly contagious disease might be found in other counties."

To assess the prevalence of influenza in Alabama, 31 medical providers report the number of their patients seen with influenza-like illnesses, 176 schools throughout the state report student absences on Wednesdays, 12 larger hospitals report results of testing for influenza, and the state public health laboratory performs influenza cultures.

Your county health department may be able to advise you where influenza vaccine is available.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the report Hardshell.  I have an appointment with my Dr. for next week and I'm now thinking of cancelling until this passes.  You know us old folks have to go to our Dr. on a regular basis.

Rick
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I was out of work last Thursday, this Monday, half of Wednesday, and all day today. It is a nasty strain. Knocked my old ass out for a while.

rk
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was out of work last Thursday, this Monday, half of Wednesday, and all day today. It is a nasty strain. Knocked my old ass out for a while.

rk

Axl, just out of curiosity, did you have a Flu Shot last fall?  I did & I wonder just how effective they actually are.  

Did you actually have Flu or some other bug?

Rick
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope, didn't get the shot but I always did before. Never went to the doctor for a specific diagnosis. Symptoms are body slam pain (eyeballs & hair hurts), low grade constant fever, nasty headaches, no energy, aching all over, sinus pressure, nasty mooded like a pissed off rattlesnake, sinus drainage, sore throat, stomach cramps. I'm at about 75% recovery, can see the end in sight.

rk
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rk

Axl, just out of curiosity, did you have a Flu Shot last fall?  I did & I wonder just how effective they actually are.  

Did you actually have Flu or some other bug?

Rick

I know of 2 co-workers that got sick the way axl described and both of them had the flu shot.  Either it's a different strain or something else entirely.  I'm doing my best to stay away from anyone I even think is sick.  It's kind of hard since I work at a hospital.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I was out of work parts of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  I was miserable.  On Wednesday my sinuses were so full that my back teeth actually ached.  This has sucked.  I'm still coughing up lung butter and the sinuses drain, but a lot less than over the last 4 days.  Sheesh.

Woody
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear it, this crap really sucks. I went in all day Friday but was absoultely exhausted when I got home, was real low activity yesterday, reloaded a lot of 9mm and .223. Today would be perfect for coyote hunting, I casually mentioned a reference to them and my wife gave me a "you dumb SOB after I put up with you being miserable all week you better not even consider it " look so I dropped it. I'm not too bright but I'm not completely stupid. Next week end I'll smoke a few of them though. Got a new SP1 upper/bolt/bolt carrier with a Colt 4x scope, mounted a Springfield 14x on a Sporter Target II upper, can't wait to try them out.

rk
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife & I are just back home after a weekend trip to visit with my son & his family in KY.  His mother-in-law is a CRNP at a clinic in Elizabethtown.  I asked her if she had seen any Flu, and she said that she hadn't, but that she was seeing a ton of folks with the crud you've described.  According to her,  with treatment you should be better in about a week, without treatment, it'll take 7 days or so:)  Danged if you do, & danged if you don't is what it sounds like to me.  I'm backing out of my appointment I have to see my Dr. in a week or so.............just too many sick folks around to risk it.

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top