Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2005 12:59:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USPC40]
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
South Carolina needs to join in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoever did the coloring left out part of Michagan.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By 243savage:
Whoever did the coloring left out part of Michagan.

Thanks, I'll fix it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 11:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wags] [#4]
Hmmm.  If I'm not mistaken MS has reciprocity with or its permits are respected by 22 other states.  Come west, dude.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Wags:
Hmmm.  If I'm not mistaken MS has reciprocity with or its permits are respected by 22 other states.  Come west, dude.

I'm not a big traveler.  So, being able to carry in all my surrounding states is good enough for me.  Sure, I'd like to see more added, but it's usually the other state that is preventing it.  Alabama's law says that if they will let us carry there, we will let them carry here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 6:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Khadre] [#6]
thanks for the nice artwork and info....real nice..;)
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 2:54:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Khadre:
thanks for the nice artwork and info....real nice..;)

Your welcome.  I just hope it's useful to my fellow Bama members.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually use www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/alabama as a reference when I travel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pulpsmack] [#9]
Deleted...

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
USUALLY THEY WILL GIVE YOU A MAP SIMULAR TO THIS AT THE SHERRIFS OFFICE WHEN I GET MY PERMIT RENEWED.ITS NOT A BAD PIECE OF INFO TO HAVE.I TOOK MY 9MM TO OHIO TO MEET MY EX-INLAWS, AND DIDNT FIND OUT TILL LATER OHIO DOESNT EVEN ISSUE CCW PERMITS.I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN DEEP SHIT IF I HAD GOTTEN CAUGHT.I STILL THINK IT WOULD BE A LOT LESS CONFUSING IF WE HAD A NATIONWIDE PERMIT,  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By BUSHWKER:
I STILL THINK IT WOULD BE A LOT LESS CONFUSING IF WE HAD A NATIONWIDE PERMIT,  

I'd rather give the money for the permit to my local sheriff than the fed...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I count 19 states at the alabama state website but the map shows 21?
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By C_G_R:
I count 19 states at the alabama state website but the map shows 21?

The map shows 20.  Vermont allows concealed carry without a permit, so it's on the map but not on the list.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I CANT BELEIVE TEXAS DOESNT HONOR AL. PERMITS.IVE SEEN ON THE NEWS WHERE IN ONE TOWN IT WAS ILLEAGAL NOT TO CARRY A GUN.I THINK THEY LEAVE IT UP TO LOCAL LAW INFORCEMENT, WHICH MAKES IT EVEN MORE CONFUSING.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:17:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-FED] [#17]

Originally Posted By BUSHWKER:
I CANT BELEIVE TEXAS DOESNT HONOR AL. PERMITS.IVE SEEN ON THE NEWS WHERE IN ONE TOWN IT WAS ILLEAGAL NOT TO CARRY A GUN.I THINK THEY LEAVE IT UP TO LOCAL LAW INFORCEMENT, WHICH MAKES IT EVEN MORE CONFUSING.

It was Kennesaw GA that passed a city ordnance requiring every home to have a firearm, unless the owner had a moral objection.  Here in TX, the reciprocity section of our CHL (CCW) law requires that a state have similar requirements for obtaining the license/permit in order to have reciprocity.  Alabama has no state wide system or minimum standards.  It is left to the discretion of the County Sheriff, as I understand it.  States may option to recognize TX permits with out reciprocity and our Governor has made some unilateral proclamations that recognize other states permits even while that state may not officially recognize the TX permit (carry at your own risk in that state).

BTW, in TX, unless one is a LEO, on duty licensed Security Officer/Guard, or has a CHL, carrying a handgun is not permitted with only a few exceptions (hunting, on ones own property or property under their control, etc.).  Security Officers/Guards must be licensed and an additional certification is required for them to be armed.  Anyone that has a CHL must conceal it at ALL times. If one has a CHL and the handgun is "readily discernable", it is possible you will be arrested and your CHL revoked at worst, but your CHL suspended at best.

I sure would like Alabama to recognize my TX CHL since I drive to GA to visit my mother every few months and Alabama is the only "gun unfriendly" state I have to go through.  I spend the night in Meridian, get up, unload and put my guns in the trunk and head out naked across the state.  I would drive around if it wasn't so dang far out of the way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Big-FED:
I sure would like Alabama to recognize my TX CHL since I drive to GA to visit my mother every few months and Alabama is the only "gun unfriendly" state I have to go through.  I spend the night in Meridian, get up, unload and put my guns in the trunk and head out naked across the state.  I would drive around if it wasn't so dang far out of the way.

Alabama is quite gun friendly.  Texas actually has stricter concealed carry laws.  The whole idea of a reciprocal agreement means BOTH states have to agree to allow the others permit in their state.  Texas refuses to accept Alabama's permit.  The way Alabama's law is written, if the other state will except Alabama's permit, Alabama will except theirs.  Texas needs to have less restrictive concealed carry laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm from TX moving to Bama.  It looks like there is no recip between the states.  Anyone know if its legal for me to carry a loaded weapon in my car when traveling in Alabama?  I'm driving straight through and usually have a little insurance by me on my drive but I don't want to end up in a Bama jail!  

Also, I'll be looking at hitting the FOP range in Birmingham ASAP after I get settled.  It would be great if someone could go with me and show me the ins and outs of the range.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By burntcrispy:
I'm from TX moving to Bama.  It looks like there is no recip between the states.  Anyone know if its legal for me to carry a loaded weapon in my car when traveling in Alabama?  I'm driving straight through and usually have a little insurance by me on my drive but I don't want to end up in a Bama jail!

The following information is from the Alabama Attorney General web site that is linked in the first message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:

* The firearm is unloaded.
   * Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
   * In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console.
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#21]
According to the linked Alabama law page, TX now IS a reciprocal agreement state.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By WWoodworth:
According to the linked Alabama law page, TX now IS a reciprocal agreement state.

Woody

Thanks for the news.  I've updated the map to include Texas.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Personally I got a non-resident FL permit in addition to my AL permit just for travelling. It lasts 5 yrs so it's nice to have. I still renew the AL permit because it's only $10 and I can do it via mail.

Just a thought for those of you who may not have looked into it. States that honor FL permit but don't honor AL's: Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Montana, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Woody

i'll believe that when i see it posted down at the sheriff's office.
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By arolfsen:

Woody

It's not the Sheriff's decision.  The official list is from the Alabama Attorney General here.  Scroll down to Texas and see for yourself.  You can also go to the Texas Department of Public Safety web site here and see that Alabama has been added to their list.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#26]
well i'll be damned. glad it finally happened. now if we could get sc to come on board...
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
well i'll be damned. glad it finally happened. now if we could get sc to come on board...
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Does TN honor an AL permit?  I cannot find where it says they do.  All I keep finding is that AL will honor a TN permit.  From packing.org:

Link Posted: 11/16/2006 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Eight:
Does TN honor an AL permit?  I cannot find where it says they do.  All I keep finding is that AL will honor a TN permit.  From packing.org:

www.packing.org/state/images/size_400/tennessee_imgiQkufa_tennessee_map.gif

This should clarify things for you.  It's from the Tennessee Department of Safety web site.

The short answer is yes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2006 6:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasTemplar] [#30]
I found this cool site you might want to look at:

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

Never mind..You've been there.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By USPC40:

Originally Posted By arolfsen:

Woody

It's not the Sheriff's decision.  The official list is from the Alabama Attorney General here.  Scroll down to Texas and see for yourself.  You can also go to the Texas Department of Public Safety web site here and see that Alabama has been added to their list.

This is great/bad news.  Great news since my TX CHL is now valid in AL, but bad news since I already applied for and received CHL Permits from FL($113) and New Hamshire($20) several months ago, just so I would be legal in AL.  They are both good for several years, also.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a uqestion regarding my permit. I live in Cullman and on the back it says that 'your permit is valid for the state of Alabama only'. Is this a retard permit or is it actually good outside of Al.? It is an unrestricted permit. Are there different types of permits?
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By tinmann:
I have a uqestion regarding my permit. I live in Cullman and on the back it says that 'your permit is valid for the state of Alabama only'. Is this a retard permit or is it actually good outside of Al.? It is an unrestricted permit. Are there different types of permits?

Yes, your permit is good in all the states that are shown on the map on the first page.  More than likely, the wording on your permit is an oversight.  Perhaps they had a bunch of blank permits made up and they want to use them up before ordering new ones with the correct wording.  Who knows.  Regardless, your fine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Arizona was added to the list of approved states.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I live in Tn and will be down in Dauphin Island this weekend.  Can someone tell me where I cannot carry.  I read the info on packing.org and from what I can see the only place I can't carry is a school or a protest\demonstration.
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By m4a3xm15:
I live in Tn and will be down in Dauphin Island this weekend.  Can someone tell me where I cannot carry.  I read the info on packing.org and from what I can see the only place I can't carry is a school or a protest\demonstration.

School is OK as long as you don't intend to do harm
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you for posting this!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Arkansas was added August 1st.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks. I didn't know that it was missing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Drav:
Personally I got a non-resident FL permit in addition to my AL permit just for travelling. It lasts 5 yrs so it's nice to have. I still renew the AL permit because it's only $10 and I can do it via mail.

Just a thought for those of you who may not have looked into it. States that honor FL permit but don't honor AL's: Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Montana, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
 I may need to get the FL non-resident permit because I travel to Pennsylvania periodically and my in-laws live in a not-so-nice neighborhood, and that I'll be living in CA for a short time and thus my AL permit might not get renewed in time but a FL permit lasting 5 years would be just the ticket for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#41]
one question, and i've looked at AL's statues, but maybe not hard enough:

"Does AL LEO require a licenced CCWer (specifically, out of state reciprocity) to declare upon being pulled over? How does this apply to passengers?"

thanks all
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:04:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USPC40] [#42]

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
one question, and i've looked at AL's statues, but maybe not hard enough:

"Does AL LEO require a licenced CCWer (specifically, out of state reciprocity) to declare upon being pulled over? How does this apply to passengers?"

thanks all

No.  In Alabama, it's not required to inform a LEO of your concealed firearm just because you're pulled over.  However, if the LEO asks, inform him where it is and show him your carry permit.  The same goes for passengers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Another good site is opencarry.org.
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 10:33:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: redleg71] [#45]
There have been attempts in the SC legislature to allow more reciprocity,  but they keep running into the same roadblocks.  I live in Augusta, GA(right on the border with SC), so I've been keeping up with that closely. SC will only recognize states that have the same requirements that they impose.ie: safety course,  range instruction by certified instructor, background checks ect...

There are many SC CCW holders that are fighting to change it,  so state tuned.  They don't like it anymore than we do.  My dad lives in SC and got a NH non-resident permit so he could have more options.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#46]
BTW.  I'll be coming down to my 90 acre retreat in southern Marengo Co. during Master's week.(gotta escape the madness of Augusta).  If any of yall live anywhere near Demopolis, Linden, Thomasville area.  Give me a holla.  I'm bringing plenty of ammo and there's plenty of room to do some shootn out there.  No neighbors close by.

I always enjoy meeting other like-minded gun folks.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By redleg71:
There have been attempts in the SC legislature to allow more reciprocity,  but they keep running into the same roadblocks.  I live in Augusta, GA(right on the border with SC), so I've been keeping up with that closely. SC will only recognize states that have the same requirements that they impose.ie: safety course,  range instruction by certified instructor, background checks ect...

There are many SC CCW holders that are fighting to change it,  so state tuned.  They don't like it anymore than we do.  My dad lives in SC and got a NH non-resident permit so he could have more options.  

That's good to hear.  SC along with KS are the next 2 I'd like to see have reciprocity with AL.  Mainly to "fill in the blanks".  Of course, any other states that adds AL is fine too.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 3:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USPC40] [#48]
For some reason the Attorney General's website has reverted back to the SEPTEMBER 22, 2006 version of the reciprocity list.  That means Arkansas is no longer on the list.  Hopefully this is a mistake.  I wont change the map until I confirm what's going on.

Edited to add:  I checked the Arkansas State Police website and they still list Alabama as a state they have reciprocity with.  I'll give the Alabama Attorney General's website a couple of days and see if they make a correction.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]
The Attorney General website has been updated again.  It once again includes Arkansas as a state Alabama has reciprocity with.  Unfortunately, no other new states have been added.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top