Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/20/2003 9:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2003 9:14:12 AM EDT by Rick03a3]
In another thread, we touched on the subject of guns at the workplace.

I'm now retired, but in my previous life, I put in 31 years with one of the major players in the communications industry.

Sometime back in the '70s or maybe the early '80s, the company came out with a policy of no firearms on company property. The only exception to this rule was that it allowed people that normally carried a firearm in the course of the job to do so on the premises. This rule also applied to having ammo on company property, as they considered it an explosive!

Does your company have a policy against having firearms on their property? I hate to ask this question, and I'll understand if you don't want to answer, but do you ever ignore the policy and have a firearm on your person or in your vehicle while on the job? Inquiring minds really do want to know!

Rick
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:11:33 AM EDT
I work for a MAJOR employer here in Birmingham with a no-weapons policy. I do carry in my truck, but not on my person.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:14:18 AM EDT
not me! guns are icky.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:32:58 AM EDT
I work for the State of Alabama (in a State Building), so no firearms/ammo/weapons/etc. in the office unless you are a sworn officer on duty. It's one of the very few things for which a State Merit System employee came be immediately fired.

I would never do anything to jeapordize my career, so I am very well armed from the time I get into my vehicle after work until the next time I leave my vehicle to come into the office (i.e., I am not armed in the office, at work - just everywhere else).

No, even though I don't agree with this policy I do not try to circumvent it in any way (I want to last long enough to retire)...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:41:30 PM EDT
i work for ibm.

NO WEAPONS PERIOD. To include knives and pepper spray on ANY company property, vehicles or customer locations. They tried to tell me MY vehicle during work time was considered THEIR property. BULLSHIT. I do not carry on company or customer property but in my vehicle i will and do.

I have to respond to areas such as north bham and ensley at all hours of the night. I refuse to go unarmed.

mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:21:04 PM EDT
Except for airport, schools, federal courthouse, etc., am always armed. My right as a citizen under 2nd.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:20:21 PM EDT
I feel like I have the right to carry. A supposedly unalienable right granted to all men by the creator. The reason the forefathers used this wording (not exactly I know) was to stress that God gives these rights to all men, and that no one, not even yourself, can alienate them from you. Obviously thats gone down the tubes. But from that point of view, as a private property owner, do I have the right to alienate others from theirs? If I invite someone on my property, can I really put a caveat on the invitation, that you can come on my property but your rights have to stay on the other side of the line?? Thats my quandry on this issue.

I'm leaning towards the position that if you invite someone on your property you have to invite their rights too. Especially with employment, I have legal obligations to fulfill on their property that requires 1/3rd of a day.

I also have a hard time with the public buildings ban. But thats partly cause they took all that black lung money for all those years, built all these nice buildings with it, and then refuse to let the people who voluntarilly taxed themselves more to build those buildings smoke their. And schools, they should be teaching shooting in phys ed if you ask me.

But dang, at least I can carry a pocket knife to work.

IronFish
Top Top