Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2003 12:18:36 PM EDT
Hi everyone-
I was reading the postings about the tax vote today, and was impressed with the common sense displayed there. It gives me some hope that the bill won't pass.
To say it succinctly, if it passes, it would be a huge blow to my family's business (farming) and my plans for the future (moving to the state and hanging my shingle there). I lived in Alabama for the first 24 years of my life. I really would like to come back. I would hate to see the poorly informed, gullible, and desperate vote their futures away.

I'd like to keep up with this as it happens... does anyone know of any places for me to get updated on the web? Is anyone running polling data? It's hard to find info on it here in GA.

Thanks again.... and I hope to be a local on the Gulf States boards soon.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:52:19 PM EDT
I'm watching local news, will post something when I hear some results,

rk
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2003 7:43:46 PM EDT by Rick03a3]
8:30 P.M.

Tax Vote
NO 66%
YES 34%

It looks like stores in Athens will soon be selling booze. (Wet/Dry vote in that city)

The tax vote is a lot closer than I thought it would be!

Rick

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:58:12 PM EDT
http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1435921

rk
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:08:19 PM EDT
The tax is dead. Poor Roger Bedford.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:48:36 PM EDT
It looks as if state wide the vote is about 2 to 1 against the tax bill. Closer to home, in Lawrence County the vote looks to be something like 8 to 1 against, Cullman County, 6 to 1. I'm wondering if S. Alabama largely voted for it?

This should send a strong message to those in Montgomery: NO NEW TAXES!

Rick
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 7:41:04 PM EDT by Confederate]
I think Riley's chances of getting re-elected are very poor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:01:21 AM EDT
COOL, We defeated the statewide tax!!! I voted for Govenor Riley and will again, if he runs. I have met him and he is a good man in my opinion. I did not agree with his tax plan, but I still respect the man and his leadership.

I live in Athens so the wet dry vote was of interest to me. Athens is now wet and the citizens have spoken, lets move on, OHH and pass me that beer!! It has been over 60 years since alcohol was legal to sell in this city. Many of the old ladies here were stating that, "puke will run in the streets and men will be raping women on a daily basis!!" All I can do is laugh sometimes.

Tony G
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:29:01 AM EDT
I was impressed with Riley's comments after the defeat of Amendment One. He actually seemed to "get it." He indicated that "the people of Alabama" sent a clear message, that more taxes were not the answer and that we wanted less government services. I thought that was a very accurate assessment. He also called for teamwork in making judicious cuts in the state budget. We'll see how successful he is.

On the other hand, Ed Richardson's armageddon type comments were ridiculous. Richardson and Hubbbard ought to be neutered and kicked out of the state.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:09:44 AM EDT
I disagree. What else was he supposed to say. Unlike that overpaid Ed Richardson (I believe the 2nd highest paid supertendent in the U.S.), he wants to run for governor again. If he came out like a jerk, he would be a dead duck. My making sweetie, everybody is saying what a guy. He lied and a liar is always a liar.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2003 9:14:15 PM EDT by gunham]
It passed in the black belt section of the state and failed every where else. Check out the county totals at wwww.al.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:40:40 PM EDT
WAPI radio announced this morning that the atourney generals office advised alabamians to buy guns and alarm systems for their homes. Due to budget cuts the state could not guarantee their safety.

What a load of horse shit. I already have my gun and i have NEVER relied on the state, county, or city to "protect" me.

mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:35:26 PM EDT
These politicians are spoiled children. They didn't get the toy they wanted and now they want the people to suffer and then they can come back and try again. Screw 'em.
Top Top