Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2017 3:38:35 PM EDT
Looks like it'll open up deer cartridges to .243 and up.  It's passed both houses but has been amended by the Senate so it's back at the House.  I think I said that right.  Anyway, looks like it will pass.  Same expiration date silliness.

Whatcha gonna use if it passes?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My .270. I'm still bashing my head on the wall over these ridiculous caliber restrictions...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Model 7 in 260 or 444P depending on where I'm hunting that day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the House and Senate are disagreeing on amendments.

Link to status

I'm considering a 6.8SPC upper...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like they got together last Friday.  Signed by President of the Senate and Speaker of the House.  Should be on the Governor's desk for signature.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a done deal now.  HaZaaaa!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a done deal now.  HaZaaaa!
View Quote

Now I'm gonna have to do a 6.5 Grendel build to celebrate!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
So this read as it is now signed by the governor and is the law of the land. I can finally use the 6.8 I built two years ago when they first tried this crap!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been told by a CO because of how this was written now rifles of any kind may not be used on public land. He was quite adamant about it. It will be interesting to see what the new hunting guide says - should be out soon. Those of you who hunt public land need to pay attention.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been told by a CO because of how this was written now rifles of any kind may not be used on public land. He was quite adamant about it. It will be interesting to see what the new hunting guide says - should be out soon. Those of you who hunt public land need to pay attention.
View Quote
All they did was remove the part where it had to be 6mm or 30 cal, in my opinion. Nothing else seems that it was changed. The part that says the use of rifle may only be used on private land was on there last year but you could still use the old set of rules to use any rifle that fit those rules. So I don't see how they could say you can't use any rifle now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
That's what I thought as well here is his reply:

The Indiana Code posted below clearly states that a person using a rifle to deer hunt during the firearms season is only permitted on private
property. No rifle may be used on state or federal property for deer
hunting during the firearms season.

IC 14-22-2-8 Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report
Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
(b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
(1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
View Quote
I assumed he just meant the HPR's but when I asked for clarification:

They are in the process of getting everything corrected. The guide you are looking it as last years. The new one will come out in July/August
of this year. I am not going to debate this as I have already researched
it through our department. The use of a rifle for hunting deer during
the firearms season is for privately owned property ONLY.
View Quote
As you can see I was told that included the old PCR type rifles as well and that now NO rifles of any kind are legal for deer on public land. Plenty of people are going to get caught off guard!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As you can see I was told that included the old PCR type rifles as well and that now NO rifles of any kind are legal for deer on public land. Plenty of people are going to get caught off guard!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Indiana Code posted below clearly states that a person using a rifle to deer hunt during the firearms season is only permitted on private
property. No rifle may be used on state or federal property for deer
hunting during the firearms season.

IC 14-22-2-8 Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report
Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
(b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
(1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.

They are in the process of getting everything corrected. The guide you are looking it as last years. The new one will come out in July/August
of this year. I am not going to debate this as I have already researched
it through our department. The use of a rifle for hunting deer during
the firearms season is for privately owned property ONLY.
I think he misspoke - "PCR" are still good for public/private land, as stated above in the thread the changes are only to "HPR".
From the IN DNR website (changes still haven't been made yet to "New Legal Rifles" from the passage of 1415):

Centerfire Rifles

Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms, youth, reduction zones (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons. These rifle cartridges can be used on public and private land.

Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

New Legal Rifles

A new state law allows rifle cartridges that meet the following requirements to be used for deer hunting only on private land during the firearms, youth, reduction zone (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), seasons:

The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
The cartridge must have a case length of at least 1.16 inches.
The cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm) or .308 inches (same as 7.62 mm).
Bullets with a diameter smaller than .243 inches (same as 6mm), larger than .308 inches (same as 7.62 mm) or in between .243 and .308 are not legal.
A hunter may not possess more than 10 cartridges for each of these rifles while hunting deer.
Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Like you said changes haven't been made yet. Those who hunt public land should pay attention to what comes out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't think they would change to allow more calibers on private land and then turn around and take all existing calibers away from public ground that had been in use for years but we are talking about the DNR/Congress so wouldn't put it past them. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt that was the intention but when you have politicians involved they write things and have no clue or ability to understand the ramifications of what it says.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#15]
So, a suppressed rifle in 7.62x39 is now legal?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, a suppressed rifle in 7.62x39 is now legal?
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Wish they would have done away with that pesky 16" bbl requirement. 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Excellent.  Now if I feel like grabbing my Mauser I can.

I have a 30-06, but the stupidity of how that law was written was still irritating.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#19]
That was legal last year.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That was legal last year.
View Quote
The 8mm Mauser wasn't.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 8mm Mauser wasn't.
View Quote
That should of been quoted from the above guy asking about 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Click me

House Enrolled Act 1415 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly (state legislators) and signed by the Governor allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used on private land during the deer firearms season.

A summary is as follows:

The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
   The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches and have a maximum case length of 3 inches
   The cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm) or larger
   A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field
   These new rifle cartridges may only be used on private land
   Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal
   These new rifle cartridges may be used during the youth deer season, deer firearms season, special antlerless firearm season (where open), and deer reduction season (in deer reduction zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm from the start of the regular firearms season through the end of the following January)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't find any info on pistol caliber rifles. Is .357 Mag still GTG?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing has changed for PCRs, if it was GTG before it is still GTG. Only changes to legal firearms are that HPRs (for private property only) were ADDED to the existing legal weapons last year, then the acceptable calibers for those HPRs were increased this year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nothing has changed for PCRs, if it was GTG before it is still GTG. Only changes to legal firearms are that HPRs (for private property only) were ADDED to the existing legal weapons last year, then the acceptable calibers for those HPRs were increased this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks. I hoped that was the case but I couldn't find it in writing anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks. I hoped that was the case but I couldn't find it in writing anywhere.
View Quote
It is here.  Scroll down about halfway.  The regs differentiate between "centerfire rifles" (so called PCR's) and "high power rifles".

Deer Hunting Seasons and Regulations--2017
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is here.  Scroll down about halfway.  The regs differentiate between "centerfire rifles" (so called PCR's) and "high power rifles".

View Quote
Uh-oh, they changed the regulations.  I just got an email today alerting hunters to a change in the hunting regulations regarding center fire rifles.  Now no center fire rifles are allowed on any public land.  These rifles are only allowed on private land and that includes the so-called "PCR" calibers we've been using on public land for the past few years.  The link in my post above is what has been changed and now reads "Rifles that had been legal to use on public land in years past can now only be used on private land."  To all those legislators who knew so much better than DNR on how to regulate hunting all that can be asked is "How do you like it now?"
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep; that's the politicians at their best - no clue what they are passing. You know people are going to get blindsided next month.  I feel for those who hunt public land.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I found this out yesterday as well. Sucks that I just bought a Ruger 77/357 that I had planned to use on Hoosier National.

Guess I'll be stuck on my 40 acres instead of the 2k+ acres I normally roam if I want to use it instead of the old shotgun. Fucking politicians
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Uh-oh, they changed the regulations.  I just got an email today alerting hunters to a change in the hunting regulations regarding center fire rifles.  Now no center fire rifles are allowed on any public land.  These rifles are only allowed on private land and that includes the so-called "PCR" calibers we've been using on public land for the past few years.  The link in my post above is what has been changed and now reads "Rifles that had been legal to use on public land in years past can now only be used on private land."  To all those legislators who knew so much better than DNR on how to regulate hunting all that can be asked is "How do you like it now?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now they are back to the original wording, allowing the original centerfire rifle cartridges to be used on public land.  Whew!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
This is one of the biggest loads of flip flop I've ever followed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top