Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:42:07 PM EDT
Does anyone have any information on the process and legal information of AOW'ing a shotgun in Indiana?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 6:23:14 PM EDT by cityboy172]
I would also like to learn an AOW lesson.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:08:10 PM EDT
So, can I pay the $200 tax, put a pistol grip on my spare 870, get it engraved, and hack off the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 2:16:45 PM EDT by M4Madness]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 7:28:40 PM EDT by rcoers]
Originally Posted By haydendavid380:
So, can I pay the $200 tax, put a pistol grip on my spare 870, get it engraved, and hack off the barrel?

No, if it has a stock on it you can't make it into an AOW. You could make a Mossberg Cruiser into one, or just a frame of a SG.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:07:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:29 AM EDT
What about with an AR? They can be AOW's if they just have the buffer tube correct? Is there any advantage to having this instead of an SBR?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 6:04:44 AM EDT by cityboy172]
What about with an AR? They can be AOW's if they just have the buffer tube correct? Is there any advantage to having this instead of an SBR?

Short barreled AR's need to be registered SBR's or a registered pistol lower. A pistol lower has just the buffer tube like you are talking about, but can't have a stock or a vetrical grip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:48:40 AM EDT
What a nuisance. Stupid feds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:53:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:14:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By buckfever34:

You would need to start with a bare factory receiver....good luck finding one of those

They're out there in limited quantities, you just have to look. Here's the guy who sold me mine (back when he had non-Ghost Ring receivers): Virgin 870 Police Receiver. Note: VIRGIN, not stripped.

And yes, the ATF *will* approve an AOW stamp for a Hoosier based off an 870 receiver

Words of wisdom: It will almost guaranteed be cheaper to buy rather than build an 870 action AOW. Unless you want a custom piece, say an 870 action based along the shorter Special Field length barrel/tube specially made so it can't swap regular 870 barrels with a custom duracoat over park finish, just talk to Joe @ Acme or anther reputable dealer and buy a factory AOW from Remington, Serbu, KEG, or another reputable manufacturer. It's much much cheaper and a lot less headache to buy rather than build - not to mention a faster transfer than waiting ~6 months for a Form 1. And even if you put it into motion, you have to start digging for proper length forend tubes, trying to buy Remington parts that aren't for sale to the general public, find barrels that are about 25 years out of production, yada yada yada.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:11:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cosmos556:
Originally Posted By buckfever34:

You would need to start with a bare factory receiver....good luck finding one of those

They're out there in limited quantities, you just have to look. Here's the guy who sold me mine (back when he had non-Ghost Ring receivers): Virgin 870 Police Receiver. Note: VIRGIN, not stripped.

And yes, the ATF *will* approve an AOW stamp for a Hoosier based off an 870 receiver

Words of wisdom: It will almost guaranteed be cheaper to buy rather than build an 870 action AOW. Unless you want a custom piece, say an 870 action based along the shorter Special Field length barrel/tube specially made so it can't swap regular 870 barrels with a custom duracoat over park finish, just talk to Joe @ Acme or anther reputable dealer and buy a factory AOW from Remington, Serbu, KEG, or another reputable manufacturer. It's much much cheaper and a lot less headache to buy rather than build - not to mention a faster transfer than waiting ~6 months for a Form 1. And even if you put it into motion, you have to start digging for proper length forend tubes, trying to buy Remington parts that aren't for sale to the general public, find barrels that are about 25 years out of production, yada yada yada.

How much faster in the AOW transfer then the form 1?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By deanald2pt0:

How much faster in the AOW transfer then the form 1?

Well... I do an individual F1, it takes 4-6+ months. I buy from Acme, it takes 2. So I guess if your last name falls under the same examiner, it would be a negligible time difference on the transfer; however, you also have to factor in completing the work upon approval, i.e. barrel modification.
Top Top