Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 6:44:32 AM EDT
I'm looking for some advice on a good place to go for some firearms training. I'm interested in buying a hand gun for target shooting and personel protection. So I'm looking for a place that will go over the basics with me and help me select a weapon.  

I have shot everything from handguns, rilfes, and shot guns under the supervision of experienced gun owners but I have no formal training and I don't own anything of my own. Someone suggested Pop Guns.  I called them and was told to look at their web site.  I looked on the web site and all I saw was stuff from 2005.  A class would be fine but I wouldn't mind paying a pro to spend an hour or two with me and going over stuff.    Suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=448091

FR&I is also doing a level III and a handgun\shotgun Combo but did not see them posted here yet.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a firearms instructor for Tactical Response.  We are currently setting up a Fighting Pistol class for this summer in Indy.  I'll have the dates posted in the next week or so.

If you just want to get together to have some (in)formal instruction I wouldn't mind getting together with you free of charge for a few hours to cover the basics.  I also have plenty of different handguns you could try before committing to buying your own.

PM me if you are interested.

Another possibility would be to find a local NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol class.  It’s a good class to cover the basics and doesn’t cost a lot.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
PM sent.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=448091

Made link hot.  Details for the Level III and the HG/SG combo course will be posted closer to the actual course dates.

Fenway:
As far as the basic courses go, you might want to send a PM to member sjstill; he's the rangemaster at the Eagle Creek Pistol Range. I know at one time they offered a 1-day NRA-type basic pistol class 3-4 times a year, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm a firearms instructor for Tactical Response.  We are currently setting up a Fighting Pistol class for this summer in Indy.  I'll have the dates posted in the next week or so.

This sounds sweet!
Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
www.atlantacc.net come to a competition you'll get on the spot coaching it's where I learned a lot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You go to Boone county and recieve some training there. Get on His mailing list.

Introduction to the Defensive Pistol

The Boone County Sheriff Department will again offer a 16 hour
"Introduction to the Defensive Pistol" course to qualified applicants on
April 1-2, 2006.  It will be held at the Boone County Sheriff Firearms Range
in Lebanon, IN.

This course is designed for the novice to the experienced male or female
firearms owner.  The two day course instructs the student in Mindset,
Gunhandling, and Marksmanship.  It is instructed by Boone County Sheriff
Captain Ken Campbell and staff.  Campbell is the Department Senior
Rangemaster, a guest Firearms Instructor at the Indiana Law Enforcement
Academy, has Instructor Certification from Yavapai Firearms Academy, Ltd.
(www.yfainc.com) and an Adjunct Instructor and Rangemaster for Gunsite
Academy, Inc. in Paulden, AZ.

www.gunsite.net/

Requirements include either a valid Indiana Firearms Permit or Criminal
History Report verifying the student as a "Proper Person," eye and hearing
protection, a suitable pistol, approximately 400 rounds of ammunition, and
tuition of $150.  (As there is no fiscal impact on the Department for the
course, all costs relating to the course must come from the student
tuition's.)

Persons requesting additional information or references are requested to
contact Captain Campbell at (765)483-3359 or via email at
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Still looking for a class around the INDY area and I want to keep this under $200.  I know you "get what you pay for"  But at this time I'm just looking for some basic training.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
How are you defining "INDY area"?  Inside the city limits?

Lebanon (where the Boone Co. Sheriff Dept. is located) is only a few minutes north of I465 on I65.

Captain Campbell [email protected] teaches a two-day "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class a few times a year.  The cost is $150.

That's "INDY area" and under $200 by my estimation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How are you defining "INDY area"?  Inside the city limits?

Lebanon (where the Boone Co. Sheriff Dept. is located) is only a few minutes north of I465 on I65.

Captain Campbell [email protected] teaches a two-day "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class a few times a year.  The cost is $150.

That's "INDY area" and under $200 by my estimation.

+1  Captian Ken and his facilty are top notch.

Weazer
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you still trying to find the right pistol for you before you take any training? Are there any pistols that you have hands on time with, that you liked?  Rhino_ thanks for making  the Captain's( hopefully Sheriff soon) email address hot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!   I'm meeting with ShackleMeNot from TacticalResponce this weekend for some training.  I'm looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I'm very glad I posted here asking for training suggestions.  I just had an great day of coaching with Shay aka ShackleMeNot of Tactical Response.  I had some limited experience with firearms in the past but today's training with Shay took me to a whole new level.  

I now feel very confident with pistols.  I know how to handle them safely and I feel confident that I can shoot them effectively.  I have no doubt that I could defend myself with a pistol if I was put in that situation.

Shay was patient and incredibly thorough.  I have never had firearms training but as a professional musician who has spent years studying with top musicians to improve my own playing I know good teaching when I see it.  And Shay is excellent!  I highly recommend Shay and Tactical Response for firearms training!

Fenway
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, it's always a good day at the range when you are shooting someone else's ammo.

It never did warm up but despite the chilly weather it was still a lot of fun.

We covered just about as much as we could in a few hours.  You did really well for someone who doesn't have much experience with firearms.  You are now going to be a safer and more informed gun owner and that's what matters.

Let me know when you want to hit the range again and we'll set something up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top