Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 11:46:48 AM EDT
Any good firearm related places to visit in South Bend while my wife visits ND for the day? Good gunshops that have a decent variety of toys that would not mind some guy from Oregon to look around?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Midwest Gun Exchange  

On Lincoln Way east,  Mishawaka, about 2 miles SE of ND campus.  Usually have some good NFA stuff in stock also.

www.midwestgunexchange.com

Enjoy your visit
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Midwest Gun Exchange  

On Lincoln Way east,  Mishawaka, about 2 miles SE of ND campus.  Usually have some good NFA stuff in stock also.

www.midwestgunexchange.com

Enjoy your visit

Looks good. Got to find something to do for the day (besides check housing and drop off job apps)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Midwest has the best selection.  But you can get that in any town.  For a truly unique experience you need to go to Lens' Gun Shop on South Michigan Street.  It's a strait shot south from ND maybe 3 or 4 miles.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
While talking with Len can be fun and interesting I don't see a whole lot in his shop. Mostly over priced stuff that just makes you wonder why he is in business. Again I do enjoy hearing some of his opinions on government and other social ills.

Midwest is the best game in town right and offers a nice selestion of both modern hangun, heavy, and long guns. He has on hand NFA items along with military surplus and other items. If you had money you could stop out in Elkhart to their range and rent some nice NFA weapons.

I was just there today talking about some issues and his possible expansion.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Len is a real trip, to be sure.
I don't think I even look at his stuff at the shows anymore.

Bradley does have some very nice stuff, to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
i like granger guns but there in granger, not far from the bend. steve has a pretty good selection and his prices arn't bad. he has pretty good reloading components section also. i  prefer his shop to midwest's anyday unless you want class 3 stuff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i like granger guns but there in granger, not far from the bend. steve has a pretty good selection and his prices arn't bad. he has pretty good reloading components section also. i  prefer his shop to midwest's anyday unless you want class 3 stuff.

I agree I would rather buy from Steve at Granger than deal with the idiots at midwest.

But midwest's shop in Elkhart does have a range where you can rent machine guns or regular stuff.

It is about 40 minutes east on the toll road from the gold dome.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to experience Len's gun shop without going there, go to any used car dealer and talk to a salesman, that guys an ass.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Len is a real trip, to be sure.
I don't think I even look at his stuff at the shows anymore.

He shows up at the show with the same stuff every time. I once asked him about pricing and he stated that he is not in it for the money just for fun. Well looking at his prices makes me think he should take up fishing for fun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#10]
len's shop is the small one with the 6x6 out front right?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, that's the one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to MidWest Gun Exchange and they do have a decent inventory of handguns and rifles. I was considering buying some USGI 30 rounders until I noticed that they were selling them for $19.95/each plus the 6% tax.  But mainly I got some good information on the area on rasing my family and still enjoying the shooting sports.  I was a little dissapointed in the apparent lack of big game hunting but the bird hunting does sound good. I was wondering where you guys in the area target shoot out to reasonably long ranges and where do you get your reloading components?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of the ranges I'm aware of around here are mostly 200 yard, and most of those are on fish and wildlife areas. BassNBucks down in Wabash has a 1000 yard range, but that's a long ride.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
i get my reloading stuff from granger guns and/or midway, my dad has a few acres not for from there i shoot at, but 200 yrds. is about as far as i can stretch it. got a sand pile for backstop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Big game hunting is limited to deer obviously and you need to get out of the city to see that culture. There are a few put and take places south of town and you can go to Kingsbury. Kingsbury also offers a regulated shooting range from 25 yrds to 100. The also offer a nice skeet area.
If you are looking for an semi-unregulated range you can drive down to Winamac. They have multiple ranges, free of charge, and go out to 200yrds. I try and get down there a few times during the summer to meet up with some guys. My normal spot is Kingsbury if I just want to pop a few off for an hour or two.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I was also curious how many hunters in South bend go up into Michigan and hunt deer (non-resident license)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top