Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 8:40:26 PM EDT
This is taught by CPT Campbell of Boone County's Sheriff's Department.  Has anyone attended it?  I would be very interested to read your comments.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I've done the class, as have many of my friends.  Everyone from people who have never fired a gun to B-class USPSA shooters have all had very positive comments.

It's a basic course, but I don't know many people who don't need some work on the basics.  Ken Campbell is a first rate instructor, with good insight into helping shooters solve individual problems.  In addition to being a good learning experience, you will also have a lot of fun.

For $150 it's a real bargain, and probably a great class for everyone in the family to take at some point.  I know of many husband-wife teams, parent-child pairs, and entire families who have completed the class.

It's also a great way to get your feet wet in the world of professional firearms instruction.  You will know after whether or not you want to pursue more extensive instruction.  

I recommend both Capt. Ken and his class without reservation!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't taken this particular course, but have done a Pat Rogers carbine course that he hosted. I'm also taking a ITOG Urban Conflict Resolution class there as well this year that Capt. Ken is hosting. I would highly reccomend taking any classes you can through him. He is a top notch guy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it a 2-day or 3-day course? I cannot take off the third day from work to attend a 3-day course.

I wouldn't mind attending with my wife.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a two-day class--April 1st and 2nd.  I am going to register tomorrow, although, about a week before that I should be starting a new job, which, by the way, I haven't even found yet.  We'll see how that works out.  

Thanks for your input, fellas.

ETA:  To further inquire about this class or other available training, you can email CPT Campbell at [email protected].
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that's the class I took from him a year or two ago.   2-day class, Sat. AM was classroom, break for lunch, Sat. afternoon on the range then Sun. on range both before and after lunch, with the afternoon ending a bit earlier than on Sat.

It is a very basic class, but with no prereqs we had people ranging from a woman who I think had never fired her gun before the class to a guy I think had worked as part of a protection detail.  Most were the "been shooting for years, but never learned how to fight with a gun" type (like me).   Ken did a good job of making sure everybody was up to speed before going on, which made the class feel slow for those of us with a little background.

The classroom part covered safety and range procedures, then some discussion of the combat mindset, color codes of awareness, and a fairly extensive overview of the different types of actions and their strengths and weaknesses and also holsters and their strengths and weaknesses.  There was some lecture at the range break area about home defense, open vs. concealed, use-of-force, etc.  

Range work started at 2-3 yds and backed out to about 10 yds I think.  Nothing long or really hard--this is a beginner class and the idea is to instill confidence, not scare off the newbies.  He began with the basics of sight alignment and trigger press until we were getting good groups slow-fire.  Then we moved on to presentations from the holster, multiple shots, reloads, etc.  He also covered malfunction drills, which was the most useful for me since I'd never really learned them.  I don't think we did any shooting while moving.   We walked through everything dry several times before moving on to live fire.

He ran a hot range and after he covered reloads it was up to you to keep the gun stoked.  If you started a 3-round drill with 1 in the gun, that was your problem.  He teaches Weaver, and he explains why, but he doesn't get mad if you chose to do it differently, as long as you can explain why.  (After I switched to my revolver after my 9mm broke I did my reloads with the opposite hand from what he recommends, because of how I carry the speedloaders.  He asked if I was going to do it my way, I said yes, and he said OK.)

We had two relays, so half the class was shooting and half was reloading mags and staying hydrated.  Round count was pretty low.  IIRC he said bring 400 and I think I came home with about half of it.  So there was plenty of time to visit with the other members of your relay after your mags were loaded, but I barely met the other relay.  

Sunday ended with policing for brass.  He said you could pick up your own, but he trades the brass for training ammo for the dept. so consider your brass donated to the cause.  (I don't think I found more than a dozen of my brass anyway.)  IIRC he required factory-loaded ammo.  He provided water both days, so you don't have to worry about that.  3 mags are enough, though more is always better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link?

What about his carbine classes?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
No link that I know of for the training he does.  www.kencampbellforsheriff.com/ for his campaign for Sheriff.   I believe the carbine classes hosted there are taught by visiting instructors like Pat Rogers and Louis Awerbuck, so look up their sites for course descriptions.  E-mail Capt. Ken at the address above and ask him to put you on his training list.  Then you'll get e-mail notice of any classes coming up, including course descriptions, restrictions, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no link for the classes and when I asked him about posting course information here and other places online, he specifically asked me to refrain.  You should contact him at [email protected] if you're interested in any of the classes offered at Boone Co.  Ken has an e-mail list through which he distributes the announcements.

I've not had his carbine class (Gunsite 123) yet, but I have been in four carbine classes where he assisted.  In my opinion, he's at least as good at teaching as some of the "big name" people he brings to town.  The core of my instructional time will continue to be primarily Louis Awerbuck (every August at Boone Co.), but if I had to choose between one of the others and Capt. Ken's carbine class, I'd go for Captain Ken.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
but if I had to choose between one of the others and Capt. Ken's carbine class, I'd go for Captain Ken.

The fact that he's local gives him a real advantage with me. World-class instruction AND I don't have to cover travel expenses? All of a sudden the tuition cost doesn't seem so bad...

OTOH, if I can find a good class on the cheap, but have to travel, I'll do that too (and have!).

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I may sign up for this class. Does anybody know the registration deadline or when the fee is due?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think I may sign up for this class. Does anybody know the registration deadline or when the fee is due?

There is no deadline as far as I know.  You send part of the fee along with your application.  Email CPT Campbell so he send you the application form.

Another question for those who attended it before: How many people showed up for the class?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Another question for those who attended it before: How many people showed up for the class?

I think our class had 14-17.  Two relays of either 7 or 8, maybe 9 on one.  Two instructors, Ken and a helper.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got an email back from Ken. He says the class maximum is 24 (6 coaches).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]
My class had the full complement of 24.  Capt. Ken had two assistants that time and it worked pretty well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top