Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 9:23:20 PM EDT
One of my buddies decided to help us "celebrate" the new year at the range yesterday (Saturday).  He brought something some of you may know well, but was entirely new to me:  Tannerite.  For those who don't know, Tannerite is an explosive that you make by mixing two component powders together (one is NH4-NO3), which then makes a big boom when subjected to a sufficient shock, such as the impact of a .223 round.

I got the honors of shooting the first two charges.  The first was a "double" (two of the little bottles he mixed) mounted on a stick.  Naturally I missed on the first shot, but on the second ...

GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY!  

I was not prepared for the ... intensity of the event.  I was expecting something a little bigger than you get from those little exploding targets, but I grossly underestimated what was going to happen.  It was very, very cool, but I'm glad I had the window of my truck rolled down!

I've never been near an (intentional) explosion like that before.  It was ... educational!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
We need video.  lol
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
video indeed!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, had some experience w/ tannerite in the past.

We worked up to a 64 ounce mixture (empty gatorade jug).....very awesome!

Needless to say, the cops showed up in no time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The camera was rolling ... I'll see if I can get a copy.

You'll get to hear me ask if anyone has a fresh pair of underwear in my size right after the first "surprise."

Fortunately I fell down in the mud earlier.  I was able to pass the "run off" as "mud" on my trousers.  

The last we did was much farther away and I got to watch it through my BVWW Binoculars.  It was cool to see the puff of smoke and everthing around it just sort of "leave" the area, and then hear the sound a little later.

Oh, and if anyone learns that I might be trying to do some of this on my own, please stop me!  There is a good reason why I'm not allowed to use power tools (since ... the incident).  Explosives are well beyond my ability and competence level.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah C'mon it's not that hard to play with explosives you knwo what else is a hoot? M67's those lil sucker wheweee boy I tell you what you wanna toast something that's your lil badboy. It's green aboutt he size of a baseball. Got a thumb clip and a pull pin it's safe till the spoon popshe
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics at a bare minimum.

I hear the WA crew a few months back got like 5 gallons of Tannerite at one of their "LCR" shoots and made a huge explosion.

Sounds like fun rhino_!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One of my buddies decided to help us "celebrate" the new year at the range yesterday (Saturday).  He brought something some of you may know well, but was entirely new to me:  Tannerite.  For those who don't know, Tannerite is an explosive that you make by mixing two component powders together (one is NH4-NO3), which then makes a big boom when subjected to a sufficient shock, such as the impact of a .223 round.

I got the honors of shooting the first two charges.  The first was a "double" (two of the little bottles he mixed) mounted on a stick.  Naturally I missed on the first shot, but on the second ...

GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY!  

I was not prepared for the ... intensity of the event.  I was expecting something a little bigger than you get from those little exploding targets, but I grossly underestimated what was going to happen.  It was very, very cool, but I'm glad I had the window of my truck rolled down!

I've never been near an (intentional) explosion like that before.  It was ... educational!

I bet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I got an e-mail with a pic today, but he forgot the attachment!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top