Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Just north of the bypass and College/Walnut intersection, right?

Quoted:
The one near the HD shop, the one near the texas Roadhouse is the West side one.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just north of the bypass and College/Walnut intersection, right?

I don't know the local landmarks, but for those of us coming from out of town, it's:

2300 N WALNUT ST, BLOOMINGTON, IN 47404

Mapquest tells me it's an hour and 17 minutes, door to door. That means to be there by 5:30, I'll have to leave the house at o'clock.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I may go, even if it's just to watch. I've got one of the new Remington 870's with the heavy thumbhole stock, so I haven't decided if I want to lug it around. I'd also have to buy a modified choke, as all I have is a super full.

You'd better be going!

If you need a choke, just LMK and I can grab you one at the shop this weekend and you can pay me back on Monday.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
There are 4 McD's in Bloomington,  if you are at Lowe's and can see one then yo uare at the West one, if you end up at the College mall you are at the East one, if you see a gigantic highschool you are at the South one, if you can see the Denny's then you are at the North one.  

If you can see all 4 then you are a REDNECK in a Helicopter!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I may go, even if it's just to watch. I've got one of the new Remington 870's with the heavy thumbhole stock, so I haven't decided if I want to lug it around. I'd also have to buy a modified choke, as all I have is a super full.

You'd better be going!

If you need a choke, just LMK and I can grab you one at the shop this weekend and you can pay me back on Monday.

I have 4 decent bird guns, three 12's and one 20 gauge.  One is for Shooter521 to use.  It looks like there are 5 of us total that may go.  So as long as someone brings a gun or two, we have guns covered if needed.  Just be sure to bring ammo!  

One of my guns is a Remington 1100 and I haev tubes for it, so we can get by.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 the one I'm using and another old sears pump gun.  If your feeling really cheeky I have a brake action .410
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT, weather is looking good!

I have the dog tuned up and ready.  FYI dog food is cheaper than gas!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
One station in my town is out of gas, and the base says they will be out by tomorrow.  I'm a little concerned on gas consumption.  I need to get to work next week, I would like to see what happens by sunday.  Not trying to puss out but I don't have any reserve, the Sam's Club in Bloommington is out as well.  Something to think about, anyone else have a comment?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Something to think about, anyone else have a comment?

Fill up now? Drive to the next town and fill up?

Or maybe we could carpool?  Anybody else coming from Indy that wants to share a ride?

One thing I do know is that I'm not gonna miss this b/c of some bullshit gas prices.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not talking about being able to afford gas, I'm talking about no gas at the station to buy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I already have my gas reserve.

I am in Indy and this was my request to meet.  My truck is going with me in the front and dog in the back.  It's a 4 door half ton so I can fit 3 more adults in front and gear in back easy.  rynich, you get shotgun.

I will be coming from NE side, lets say intersection of 69 & 465.  Lets figure out a place or places where we can meet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#12]
My feeling is that there may not be any gas to buy, by the end of next week.  Possibly after that for the next 2 weeks.  
If that happens I need all the gas I can store, and that is one thing I'm not equipped to do.  I have one 5 gallon jerry can and that is it.  We have a national situation here, you have some 500,000 nomads out there either looking for a place to stay or when thier money runs out will be kicked out of thier hotels etc...  Fact is there is going to be a lot of people driving around out of no other choice.  The trickle down effect may not be fast enough.   For me it just means if I run out of gas I just have to get up earlier and walk or ride my bike 36 miles round trip, in hill country.

I hope things don't go the way I think they will, it is just something I think should be concidered.  My wife thought I was nuts when I told her this storm was going to be really bad, and it was going to get ugly.  Now she is not telling me I'm out of my mind.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm a little concerned on gas consumption.  I need to get to work next week, I would like to see what happens by sunday.  Something to think about, anyone else have a comment?

If YOU decide not to go, that kills the trip for the rest of us since it's your dad's land!  If that's the case, we need to know before Sunday, so we can arrange to do something else instead.

ETA: I don't think it's going to get nearly as bad as you say, at least not statewide. I've not seen any indications of gas shortages or outages here in Indy. For the hunting trip, maybe one of the southern members (M4M? ViperEH?) can pick you up?  Hell, Zoub and I could even bring you gas from up here, if need be.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Indy car pool meets at Bradis gun shop on hwy67 at 5am Monday.  I drive a dark green F-150.  If I am too tired, the dog will be driving (see pics in earlier post)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, guys, I'll be there Monday, but it'll be mainly just to hang out and watch the dog in action. I have a lifetime hunting license, and called in and got my HIP number. I stopped at Wal-Mart while we were in Washington, IN today and had a cart load of stuff at first--100 rounds of Remington 7 1/2 shot (good price at $13), a modified choke, insect repellent, and one of the bucket seats with the padded seat on top. I got to adding it all up in my head, and thought, "I'll probably only dove hunt this one time, and can't really justify $40 for it right now." So I put everything back and just bought the insect repellent and one 25-round box of ammo just in case I try to take a couple of shots from someone else's shotgun. I figure I'll be perfectly happy just hanging out with good people in the outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
You should have said something!  I can bring my other chokes.  So I can use improved and you can use modified or vice versa.   I got a full case(100) of the cheapy shotshells, you can share mine.  I'll throw an extra bucket or folding stool in.

Quoted:
Well, guys, I'll be there Monday, but it'll be mainly just to hang out and watch the dog in action. I have a lifetime hunting license, and called in and got my HIP number. I stopped at Wal-Mart while we were in Washington, IN today and had a cart load of stuff at first--100 rounds of Remington 7 1/2 shot (good price at $13), a modified choke, insect repellent, and one of the bucket seats with the padded seat on top. I got to adding it all up in my head, and thought, "I'll probably only dove hunt this one time, and can't really justify $40 for it right now." So I put everything back and just bought the insect repellent and one 25-round box of ammo just in case I try to take a couple of shots from someone else's shotgun. I figure I'll be perfectly happy just hanging out with good people in the outdoors.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You should have said something!  I can bring my other chokes.  So I can use improved and you can use modified or vice versa.   I got a full case(100) of the cheapy shotshells, you can share mine.  I'll throw an extra bucket or folding stool in.

You want me to stop by and get you Monday morning? I have to pass right by your house on the way anyway. No sense in both of us driving and wasting fuel. I have one of those folding camp seats that you see at Wal-Mart. In fact, it is still brand new. If you have a spare choke, I guess I'll lug that heavy 870 turkey gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds good, what time?
I guess we're eating breakfast at McD's?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Jim:
If you have an extra bucket/seat or stool, go ahead and bring it; I'll use it if M4M doesn't.

Zoub and I are going to hook up at Bradis at 5am then head down to the Mickey D's in Bloomington, so we'll probably show up there between 5:45 and 6:00.

I'll be bringing a little extra ammo to share, too, should someone have need.

See ya!

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sounds good, what time?
I guess we're eating breakfast at McD's?

Well, it sounds like the main attraction isn't going to arrive at McDonald's until 5:45AM now, so I'll pick you up at 5:00AM I guess. I'll call you sometime tomorrow (Sunday) to finalize everything.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, guys we are still on for the hunt.  I guess I was just wanting to take a wait and see approach.  In my small town there are only 3 gas stations if 2 are down there is usually a rush on the last, any others are 10+ miles away.  It was just something I was concerned about, given the situation in the south.
I have my hunting License and HIP number, plus ammo.  I didn't want to bail on this at all, I have been looking forward to it just as much as everyone else.  I have been rebuilding the brake system of my car since Friday so I will be ready to go if anyone needs ride and are on the way just IM me I will check my IM's Sunday night.

looking at the last post I should be there at 5:30-5:45am.

It looks like the weather is going to be nice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like we have plenty of gear and ammo to work with.  I have extra Rem chokes too as well as guns.  We won't need tons of ammo since we won't be shooting over an official dove field.  I say this and now a crap load of doves will show up adn we will be out of ammo 30 minutes later........I am ok with that too!

I have been moving this week, so now I have o go find my stuff
clothes
ammo
water
bucket/pack to carry it
guns
choke tubes
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like we are a go, I will check here once before  go to bed at 10.  I was given the wrong rotors so I might have to take my gas guzzler van, I was trying to avoid that.  Anyway, I will see you all in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm leaving the house in about 10 minutes. Let's hope I haven't forgotten anything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, no dove kills to report.

We didn't see a single dove while in the field, but I still had a good time just spending a beautiful morning in the great outdoors with good friends. Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I consider any ARFCOM event to be a success where ALL attendees leave with the same number of fingers and toes they came with.  

I tried to hit  a dove with my truck, but none gave me the chance.  So I ran my "tractor" for a few minutes, did a little tune up and clean up on it and hosed off the dog at the same time.

That was just the first hunt, not the last.  Thanks to rynich for the tour.  Great place to watch a sunrise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well, no dove kills to report.

We didn't see a single dove while in the field,

Saw plenty of 'em along 37 on the way home, of course. Also saw a Bald Eagle, which was neat as hell.

It was nice meeting Zoub and Rynich, catching up with you and Jim, being in God's country instead of at the office, and watching that pretty dog work. I'm up for an outing like that, any time. And if a bird or two happen to get bagged in the process, so much the better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been busy.   No, not a single bird, my trigger finger was aching from lack of use and anxiety.  I did pull off a few rounds at a bucket Zoub found in the creek.  That felt good, I needed to function check my shotgun anyway.  It looks like I need to get a good bird gun, I would like to get an Over/Under I think.  We will have to prep the field next summer and I think it will be a much better hunt.  
I did have fun humping around the field and woods, I told you that the up hill was the hard part.  With a lot of gear it is a work out.  I love being out in the country like that especially when the weather was so nice.  I'm glad you all came out and that we are people that "go and do" then just sit around and talk about it.  
I will be trying to get some Coyote hunting done and if you want to go deer hunting just IM me and we can work out a time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Guys I'm in Bloomington, and would like to get in on some of the huntin'

I'm originally from Texas, but moved here three years ago when I got out of the Navy.
I live in town, and usually only get one chance a year to hunt, and that's when I take
my sons to Texas to go deer hunting in the fall.  I'd love to get my 12 yr old boy out
in the field here in Indiana though.  Let me know if you guys are gonna get together
and do any huntin' and we will see if we can't meet up.

I've hunted dove, turkey, quail, deer, elk, antelope, wild boar, just about everything, you
name it, but never in Indiana, so you guys will have to school us on huntin' here.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Hi smitty,
I recommend you head down to Bedford and visit the Hoosier National Forest office.  For ~$7 you can pick up a map of the HNF.  There is a lot of HNF south east of Monroe Reservoir.  This would be an excellent place to go small game hunting this fall.  You could also deer hunt there, but it's some rough terrain and gets a fair amount of traffic in deer season.  
If you wanted to go predator calling sometime I could take you on base (with the purchase of a small game pass for....$15 I think).  Shotgun only on base and it's thick.  I've had limited success so far.  Calling in thick woods is a lot different than calling out in cow pastures.
J
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top