Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 6:33:49 PM EDT
Some fellow AR15.COMers and I decided to get together and shoot a little this afternoon at my home. All 3 of us Lawrence County members (JimTH, DB73, and myself) had a few nice firearms laid out on the trusty ol' picnic table, as I haven't built my new bench yet. I just bring out one firearm per shooting session, as I hate cleaning more than one at a time.

I decided on the AR-10, as the other guys had never fired one. JimTH brought his stainless-barrelled A3 with scope and DB73 brought a scoped A2, a .17HMR rifle, and a .45 Glock. We took turns firing them and aquired quite a pile of brass in the yard. Then a friend of mine was driving by and saw the fun we were having and stopped in with his 16-year old daughter. He got his first trigger time behind an AR-10 as well. His daughter was a little shy around the rifles and declined a chance to shoot anything she wanted. I'd say shooting her dad's 12-gauge for the first time this year made her a little timid. As they were leaving, fellow member Mechaniac showed up, gunless this time. He blasted away a few rounds from the AR-10 and the Glock. Hey, the story isn't over yet. Then a gentleman whom I met last winter when he pulled my car out of a snow drift in the front yard pulled up. I'd only spoke to him that one time. He'd came today to see if I'd be interested in selling my Bronco. He saw the rifles and said, "Got some machineguns, huh?" I explained that they were semi-auto and proceeded to load him up a mag for the AR-10. After firing 10 rounds, he was grinning from ear to ear. DB73 let him shoot his AR-15 so that he could see the difference between the two calibers. He had limited firearms knowledge and had no experience with either the 5.56 or 7.62. I'd like to think that we have another convert. All in all, it was a good day (except for the wind).
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ill be the first to thank you for:
1. Setting another media-influenced person straight
2. Creating another infection of AR fever!

GO YOU!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Well,after being quite for such along time,I'm finally going to post something.Today was such a BLAST.I haven't had this much fun shooting in a long while.Just seems totaly different and alot funner having a group of guys firing up the AR's and getting to meet other members like JimTH I really liked his upper.I also got a kick out shooting M4Madness's AR10.I think I'm going to have to have one now.I can hardly wait until next weekend now,but first I need to make an ammo run.Thanks again M4 for having me over.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, I thought I could smell a faint hint of gun powder on the wind here in Marion county yesterday.  Although that is not uncommon around here.

A comment on new shooters/non-shooters.  It seems like they are more interested in shooting Glocks, AR's and other names they hear on TV.  Or anything that looks tactical or has black plastic on it.  Seems like once they do, they get hooked easy.

PS...... what barrel length AR-10 do you have?  Are you happy with the choice you made?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]

What barrel length AR-10 do you have? Are you happy with the choice you made?

I have the 20" AR-10A4. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it. A guy could go with the 16" carbine and maybe only lose 100-125 feet per second in velocity. I just went with the full-length barrel due to the fact that I already have an AR-15 carbine that fits the bill for CQB. I own a 700PSS, so I didn't feel the need to get the "more accurate" AR-10T model. I will vouch for the fact that the muzzlebrake produces a nice punch for bystanders. Since the blast comes out the sides, the shooter really doesn't notice it. I can just image what it would be like standing on the firing line beside a 50BMG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Armalite AR15 and that brake knocks peoples teeth out.  If I had the AR10 I think I would want it without the brake?

I also keep thinking the AR10 would be a great general purpose gun to have in .308 and to travel with to states where the .308 would be a good hunting caliber, why not use an AR10?  So what if it looks tactical and is a little heavier.  I have thought, get the 20" and cut it to 18" if I want shorter.  Either way, I need to get the gun first.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm late but I'm here!
Heck of a good time had by all.  That muzzle brake on M4's AR10 produced a wild concussion.  I was right behind him and the thing was knocking me pretty good.
Thanks to DB73 for letting me shoot his Glock.  I've been thinking about a handgun and I was very impressed with the mild recoil of the .45 auto.
On another note, I got to shoot my neighbors hammerless titanium S&W 357 magnum the other day.  What a friggin monster!  The recoil was absolutely painful.  I shot it twice and handed it back to him.
We then got the AR out and exploded some flat limestone rocks in the field behind the house.

Later,
Jim
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a heck of a good time was had by all. I'm not far from you guys at all I shoot usually at attebury or at a friends house out in shelbyville. we have a pretty good time plinkin n punchin paper.
Nice to know there are more black rifle addicts out there than just me lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top