Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2017 7:23:26 PM EDT
Are 'hi cap' mags and HP ammo illegal to carry if you have a valid MD Carry Permit? Think I have a decent chance of getting one but not sure if I'll be forced to carry my 1911 with ball ammo or if I'd be able to carry the Sig 229 with HST.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
HP - no restriction in MD.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
hi cap mags aer legal to won, carry and use

you just cant buy them or sell them n state
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, thanks. I have a ex-leo coworker that carries in MD with the LEOSA thing and he was telling me he could only have 10rnds and ball at that. Thought it sounded strange and couldn't find any law about it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome, thanks. I have a ex-leo coworker that carries in MD with the LEOSA thing and he was telling me he could only have 10rnds and ball at that. Thought it sounded strange and couldn't find any law about it.
View Quote
The "ball ammo" / no hollow point thing is a New Jersey law (and maybe DC - but their gun laws are designed to be incomprehensible.  Stay out of DC).

Why do you believe you have a good shot at getting an MD permit?  Are your current/former LEO?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
oh and good luck with a maryland ccw

you may have a better chance of hitting the lottery
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I am current LEO and carry whenever whatever.  Four years ago I got a carry license here in MD.  Had to go through the full background fingerprinting, etc.

It stated on the back that it was only valid while I'm actively employed as LEO.  Valid for two years.

After the two years, they refused to renew it, stating that they are no longer issued.  Go figure.  IIRC, It took  six or seven weeks to receive it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am current LEO and carry whenever whatever.  Four years ago I got a carry license here in MD.  Had to go through the full background fingerprinting, etc.

It stated on the back that it was only valid while I'm actively employed as LEO.  Valid for two years.

After the two years, they refused to renew it, stating that they are no longer issued.  Go figure.  IIRC, It took  six or seven weeks to receive it.

Good luck.
View Quote
Back in the 1990s (pre-LEOSA), a friend's dad retired after 20+ years with MoCo PD (and 2 years with Baltimore PD at the beginning of his career).

He applied months ahead of his retirement.  You would think the state police would take care of a retiring officer after a long, honorable career.

Nope.  

He had to wait 6 months after retirement before they grudgingly issued the permit.

OP: not sure you understand the depth of hate MD has towards concealed carry and guns in general.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OP: not sure you understand the depth of hate MD has towards concealed carry and guns in general.
View Quote
Ain't that a sad fact of life today.  I can't recognize my country anymore.  Can you believe that when I went to high school in Alexandria, VA I used to open carry my .30-06 rifle to school? No one even looked at me.  I would keep it in my locker until shop class and then take it to class to work on the stock and/or bedding.  I am not sure at what point we became so anally retentive as a society about guns. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top