Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2010 3:22:27 PM EDT
Who here would like to take a tour of the Paul Reed Smith factory in Annapolis?

I don't know if they charge for it, but if they do...or not...I have a proposal.

PRS will give away a defective guitar which has been cut into a couple of pieces, via bandsaw, if you take
the tour, and sometimes you don't even have to ask. But they have to have a bandsaw case on hand, of course,
which may or may not happen.

I want one of those. The challenge of reassembling one and making it look good really appeals to me.

But, PRS won't mail such an item. I know, I asked. You have to take the tour. I'm in Florida and not likely to
be in your part of the country at any time in the foreseeable future so I guess I can't take the tour.

If anyone here is near Annapolis and would like to take the PRS factory tour and pick up a bandsawed guitar for me,
I'd appreciate it and make it worth your time.

If there's any choice, I'd want a "standard" PRS double cutaway type, not one of their singlecuts, which I find to be
very unattractive....but I guess I could live with one of those, too. The challenge is the same. A nice flamed maple
top would be a serious bonus. I think I can piece it back together well enough that you'd have a hard time seeing the repairs.

Let me know if this interests you.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:08:13 PM EDT
I took my class over there for a tour several years ago and it was amazing. The finishing process alone is a sight to behold.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:31:20 PM EDT
Yes, the PRS finish process is very interesting and it is the highest quality finish used on any guitars, from a visual quality perspective.

I've learned how it's done and have applied some of their techniques to my own guitars. I have a few differences of opinion about some
things, for example I don't believe in doing heavy dark dye staining on maple as it tends to "anchor" the "visual motion" in the maple.
(This effect is properly called "chatoyance". )

You can't say that this isn't a PRS-inspired finish, here:

I think this is the best executed finish I've ever done, on one of the two best executed guitars I've ever made.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:22:11 AM EDT
PRS is on the other shore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:55:50 PM EDT
PRS will NOT give you an entire cut up guitar. They may give you a headstock, or a piece of a neck or body. They are very familiar with the old dumpster divers who tried to but cut up guitars back together, so when they cut up a body, the cut out the neck pocket, so it's now impossible to attach a neck.

I've been to the factory over 20 times. Ask me how I know...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 5:10:26 PM EDT by cmjohnson]
Hey, you wanna make a deal for that body? Seriously...PM me.

If you're totally attached to it, maybe I could attempt to rebuild it for you...that'd be fun.

How? Not that difficult...once the body's together, I can then convert it to a neck-thru-body design, from the back. Make the cut out
neck pocket issue completely go away.

I'd be happy to get just a cut-up body.

Frankly, I'd be happy just to get a perfect tracing of a PRS guitar's body shape and leave the rest to me.

Why not? I'll copy a Gibson. I won't copy a Fender but only because I don't LIKE Fenders.

And, by learning to build a given type, I learn more about it...more which helps me to figure out new models
of my own design that combine the best of other designs.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:36:28 PM EDT
You don't like Fenders??? Heretic!

Sorry, but I'm not interested in selling it. It was a gift from a friend at the factory...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:05:21 PM EDT
Well, maybe you could get him to bring out another one? If it's not any trouble, that is...?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:56:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

I was wondering about that.
I know they were on that side in '88 at least.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:43:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dave15:
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

I was wondering about that.
I know they were on that side in '88 at least.

PRS left Annapolis and opened the factory on Kent Island in 1996...
Top Top