Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 12:44:04 PM EDT
Guys check the news. Lighthouse Inn is burnt to the ground, fires popping up everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Solomons Island is shut down. What a mess. Thankfully it did not affect traffic on the bridge.

Quoted:
Guys check the news. Lighthouse Inn is burnt to the ground, fires popping up everywhere.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I was at Solomons at 10:00 this morning.Later on,I heard about the fire.Then this evening,couldn't get thru Brandywine,as 301/5 was shut down both directions due to 40 acre brush fire,and everyone was being diverted through Brandywine.Was a big brush fire over in Barstow ,off 231 last week as well.Dry and windy is a BAD combo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I'm in the middle of a Millersville emergency right now myself (not too scared to post, though).

Woods is on fire, maybe 50 acres, just west of I-97, just north of Benfield Blvd. I think all that is Severn Run Environmental Area.  My office is about a mile from the fire, but smoke and emergency vehicles are all over. Damn choppers overhead, shaking the building. . .

I think it's under control by now, but we already ran backups and got our important files near the door.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Just yesterday some idiot on the next road over from me decided it would be a good idea to have a barrel fire, despite the 30+ mph winds. I know because I began to smell smoke (he was up wind) and looked outside to see the entire field ablaze with the flame front headed right for the guy's house across the street. Luckily it didn't make it all the way to his house.  By the time I had grabbed my cell phone I already heard sirens. Burned about 25 acres, but no biggie since it's just going to get plowed in a few weeks anyway.

Dry and windy can be a bitch here just as in Kali!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I know this is like 2 weeks old, but I am from Solomons any of you guys close by, Calvert or St. Mary's?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the board!
Not sure who is down your way, maybe Knightvision (?), I'm by BWI airport
You may have seen this thread where some introductions include locations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know this is like 2 weeks old, but I am from Solomons any of you guys close by, Calvert or St. Mary's?

St Marys here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where is that?  Is it near Belcamp?  When I was leaving work today I looked down the Bush River and could see plumes of smoke and as I drove down Rt 40 fire engins were heading towards it.

Solomons is in Calverty County, where Route 2/4 crosses into St. Mary's. Definitely not near Harford County.

My parents live nearby, they said the LNG plant's firefighting boats saved the island, 10,000gal/min of water from each one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, I grew up right across the street from the LNG plant. People in the community have been bitching since it came back online a couple years ago but I know when their firefighting boats showed up to save the Island no one was bitching. Luckly for Solomons the boats were docked right in the Harbor and not on the bay side where the actual plant platform is.

And yes Calvert and St. Mary's counties and Hartford are on completly opposite side of the state. Solomons gets it's unjust fame for the open of the Tiki bar which is coming up on the 21st of this month. Just of bunch of wannbe Mardi Gras goers partying it up in a few hole in the wall bars.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Solomons gets it's unjust fame for the open of the Tiki bar which is coming up on the 21st of this month. Just of bunch of wannbe Mardi Gras goers partying it up in a few hole in the wall bars.

I keep meaning to get down for that, but it just never works out. Picking up (or worse, getting picked up by) 35-40yo contractors from Pax isnt my cup of tea.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top