Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:07:50 PM EDT
So I've got dozens of 30 and 40 rd mags (for rifles I no longer own) that I'd love to sell or trade, but Md has the law prohibiting transfer of such items. Are there any places just across the border where I can trade/sell these things? Virginia gun stores or shows?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:26:56 PM EDT
I didn't think the law prevented you from selling them out of state, or shipping them out of state. Unless it is somehow illegal, I'd recommend putting them on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:38:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SlimHazy:
I didn't think the law prevented you from selling them out of state, or shipping them out of state. Unless it is somehow illegal, I'd recommend putting them on the EE.

I believe this is incorrect. Even if you are selling to an out of state party (which you would have to, since no one in MD can legally buy these if the transaction occurs within the state of MD), the law prohibits persons from "offering for sale" any standard capacity mags.

One loophole that you can take advantage of is that you can sell the mags to whoever you want as long as the actual transfer of mags occurs outside the state lines. Its very confusing....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:25:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By libertyforall:

I believe this is incorrect. Even if you are selling to an out of state party (which you would have to, since no one in MD can legally buy these if the transaction occurs within the state of MD), the law prohibits persons from "offering for sale" any standard capacity mags.

One loophole that you can take advantage of is that you can sell the mags to whoever you want as long as the actual transfer of mags occurs outside the state lines. Its very confusing....

Really? That sucks.

So how does Atlantic Firearms, for example, sell magazines online?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:50:41 AM EDT
You can sell them to an FFL holder (FFL could & did do this under the AWB - for transfer of "restricted" mags to authorized persons).

Atlantic is an FFL holder. An FFL holder can send them out of state to where they are allowed.

I might be interested in the 40s depending on brand; please send me a PM. I can meet you in VA (where I live) or at a match in PA.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:57:51 AM EDT

You CAN sell to someone out of state (put them in the EE).

Fulton Armory has been doing it for years. They offer 30 rounders to non-MD residents, WE just can't buy them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:01:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TLK:
So I've got dozens of 30 and 40 rd mags (for rifles I no longer own) that I'd love to sell or trade, but Md has the law prohibiting transfer of such items. Are there any places just across the border where I can trade/sell these things? Virginia gun stores or shows?

What do you have?

I could just steal them and drop some cash on the way out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:36:23 PM EDT
I am currently accepting donations .....Then again, I DO have PA tags and DL....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:08:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:47:38 PM EDT
you can "loan" them to some one with a cash deposit, which if they dont return them you keep the cash
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:56:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scotty1911:
you can "loan" them to some one with a cash deposit, which if they dont return them you keep the cash

Nope loaning someone else the magazine IS illegal if they are MD residents.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:43:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

You CAN sell to someone out of state (put them in the EE).

Fulton Armory has been doing it for years. They offer 30 rounders to non-MD residents, WE just can't buy them.

It would seem this could be interpreted as a violation of this silly law. From the text:
§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.
(a) Scope of section.- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.
(b) Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Posting them up on the EE might be interpreted as an "offer for sale" in MD (unless maybe I drove into VA to submit the post).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:17:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:10:05 AM EDT
What if we meet up at Point of Rocks. I'll go to the VA side of the river and you can sling shot them across. I will then tape the $$ to a rock and sling shot it back to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:22:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:32:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BBQMAN:

Originally Posted By 1badf350:
What if we meet up at Point of Rocks. I'll go to the VA side of the river and you can sling shot them across. I will then tape the $$ to a rock and sling shot it back to you.

As far as I can tell...that would be legal. Although, it would be easier if you were both on the same (VA) side of the river. Makes for less chances of a water related accident.

We talkin steel or aluminum magazines!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 1:06:48 PM EDT by TLK]

Right: "Offer for sale in MD" is illegal however offering for sale outside MD is not. Its where you're selling TO not from. If you sell it TO someone in MD that's a no no. If you sell it TO someone in PA (either face to face or via mail in the EE) that's fine.

Cool, off to the EE I go. I might still try the river slingshot deal, though. I have a bunch of rubber materials I use for other recreational activities.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:12 PM EDT
Why not offer your brothers here first shot and tell us what you have.You could do a face to face with anyone other than a person who resides in MD.
Z
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:56:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By scotty1911:

Nope loaning someone else the magazine IS illegal if they are MD residents.

I mean yea, just last week the police checked to make sure i bought the mags out of state you know, their busy enforceing those mag cap laws.

Seriously though. Im not openly advocating breaking the law. but..when was the last time someone checked your mags to make sure they were legal, and how would they tell you bought them in state, unless they saw you do it. Of course, i always bougth my mags out of state. (no im not kidding)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:59 PM EDT
Just drive up to Harrisburg for the Farm Show complex gun show this weekend, and sell the dang things.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:27:44 AM EDT
There has never been one person prosecuted under the bullshit MD high capacity mag ban, not one person. Know what I mean.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:12:13 AM EDT
Why would it be illegal to sell used high cap mags from MD to someone who lives in a state that allows them?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:17:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:34:19 AM EDT
Yep, and don't take the tags off of your mattress either.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:24:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kingfish:
Why would it be illegal to sell used high cap mags from MD to someone who lives in a state that allows them?

Its not, but it is illegal for him to sell them to anyone within the boundaries of Maryland.

So you're saying that it is perfectly legal to mail them from MD to a state which allows them? Like AZ, for example?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:26:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kingfish:

So you're saying that it is perfectly legal to mail them from MD to a state which allows them? Like AZ, for example?

That is correct.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:43:31 PM EDT
I'll take them
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:11:40 PM EDT
Jimmmy1111
Post Number :: 113

MD, USA

YOu are from Mayrland and how will you take it ?

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:31:32 PM EDT
I've got a new Bushmaster 30 that I'd trade for a new Bushmaster 10 and 2-5s.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:02:37 AM EDT
As small a state as MD is, it shouldn't be any big deal to meet someone over thhe state line in VA, WV, PA or DE. In this state, there are darned few places where you're ever more than 1 hour from the border with the United States.
Top Top