Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:02:03 AM EDT
Here goes.....

1.  I recently (Middle February)purchased a Mossberg Shotgun 12 gauge 500 from Valley Guns.  I never shot it and kept it in the box actually until this past Saturday when I took it to the range. I loaded it up and fired it(I actually like the feel).  Well when I went to take it off of safety it would come half off and became stuck then the pump would not retract it was like jammed up.  The People at the range said there is definately something wrong with it, and I should take it back and have them fix it or send it back to Mossberg.  My issue here is that I went to Valley earlier that day to get some goggles and they weren't sellin any guns or doing any business dealing with them.  What to do......he
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board!

Quoted:
Here goes.....

1.  I recently (Middle February)purchased a Mossberg Shotgun 12 gauge 500 from Valley Guns.  I never shot it and kept it in the box actually until this past Saturday when I took it to the range. I loaded it up and fired it(I actually like the feel).  Well when I went to take it off of safety it would come half off and became stuck then the pump would not retract it was like jammed up.  The People at the range said there is definately something wrong with it, and I should take it back and have them fix it or send it back to Mossberg.

Though I'm not much of a Mossberg fan and not 100% familiar, it sounds like the safety detent is bad. IIRC, there is a small screw that goes down through the top of the safety slide and when this screw comes loose, the detent ball and flat spring underneath fall apart and jam.

This should have nothing to do with the pump action directly, but, if the safety doesn't release, and the trigger hasn't been pulled and the shotgun is still cocked, you'll need to release the slide lock to move the slide.

Unless you have an operator problem with the slide lock, , you may have two different problems. A Mossberg guy could tell you more, but you should be able to get Mossberg to fix it directly for you. I would call their customer service number:

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
7 Grasso Ave.
North Haven, CT 06473
Telephone: (203) 230-5300  (8 am - 4:30 pm E.S.T.)
Fax: (203) 230-5420

My issue here is that I went to Valley earlier that day to get some goggles and they weren't sellin any guns or doing any business dealing with them.  What to do......

Valley Guns seems recently defunct and you are apparently on your own with this problem, but, again, Mossberg should make it right for you. See this for more info on Valley:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=224824

2.  AR question.  I was inquiring at the range that I wanted a Bushmaster M4 .223 caliber.  Hopefully that was right.  He said that I could not shoot that there because they only allow pistol caliber ammo at their range.  I thought I remembered reading that there was an AR that could handle more than one type of ammo, maybe not.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, AR-15's can be made to shoot more than just .223's. For example, 9mm is a pistol caliber that some AR-15's use, but unless you buy one already in 9mm, you'll need to buy more parts for your .223 version. You'll need a *complete* upper receiver assembly, a mag block, 9mm magazines, a buffer/spring kit, a hammer, and possibly a few other minor parts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
2.  AR question.  I was inquiring at the range that I wanted a Bushmaster M4 .223 caliber.  Hopefully that was right.  He said that I could not shoot that there because they only allow pistol caliber ammo at their range.  I thought I remembered reading that there was an AR that could handle more than one type of ammo, maybe not.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9mm AR are one possiblity.

The other is to use a .22 conversion kit so you can shoot .22LR in your .223 rifle.  I've got one and it works fairly well.  It allows me to shoot at indoor ranges, or to teach people who are new to rifles but want to try an AR-15.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for pointing that out Forest, I was just stuck in 'centerfire mode' somehow. Your suggestion is probably the most logical and economical.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for pointing that out Forest, I was just stuck in 'centerfire mode' somehow. Your suggestion is probably the most logical and economical.

They both have their ups and downs, I just wanted to supply a cheap option in case he really wanted a 5.56 M4.

If all one wants to do is shoot at an indoor range, or head down to Sanners for the 3-gun competiton there is nothing wrong with getting a 9mm AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top