Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 5:32:51 AM EDT
Anybody here a member? Wife and I renewed our memberships this year  WoOt! So I usually spend a day every weekend there, in fact getting ready to go out for a couple hours today, we should hook up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to join myself but they said I could absolutely not shoot any class three there, regardless if it was a submachine gun(maybe I can understand that due to the noise) or a silencer on a semi automatic pistol (I didn't get that one at all).  I thought it had to do with some insurance or legal issue, but the more questions I asked the more I got the impression they just didn't care for my guns.  As such, I told them no thanks and that I already have enough problems in Maryland with our right to keep and bear arms that I didn't need some organization that I would pay to join enforcing arbitrarty restrictons on me.

Too bad - it is really close to my house.  I just take my business elsewhere.   If they ever decide otherwise, I would be happy to join.  I got the impression some thought all machine guns were illegal in Maryland, which is totally false.  You think the management board of a GUN RANGE would know the appropriate federal and state laws.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Its fun to scare the benchresters with our EBR's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Its fun to scare the benchresters with our EBR's.

Last week when I was there, there was a group of maybe 7 guys with their "precision" .22's and they asked me to move my bench up closer to the line because my muzzle blast was too loud and disturbing their shooting, they really got pissed when I broke out some Q3131A.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been a member there for years, including several years as a Trustee.  I probably won't get a range badge this year.

Quoted:
I was going to join myself but they said I could absolutely not shoot any class three there, regardless if it was a submachine gun(maybe I can understand that due to the noise) or a silencer on a semi automatic pistol (I didn't get that one at all).

Don't know who told you that.

It is true you cannot fire bursts or (any kind of full auto fire).  However you can shoot select fire weapons in 'semi', and you CAN shoot supressed handguns.  My friend has a supressed Beretta and we've shot it there several times (when the damn locking block wasn't breaking).

but the more questions I asked the more I got the impression they just didn't care for my guns.

Yes there is a range master there who is hostile to any semi-auto.  

I didn't need some organization that I would pay to join enforcing arbitrarty restrictons on me.

Lot of good guys in the Organization, and the group has an active lobbyist who is effective.  The AGC is a big reason why Cas Taylor lost his spot as Speaker of the House over the handgun law.  We spent alot of money on advertisements in his home district to let the folks know it was his fault (and his distric is very conservative and gun-loving)

I got the impression some thought all machine guns were illegal in Maryland, which is totally false.
 I'm sure some do, but the legeslative VP (the lobbiest I mentioned) is a MG fan and collector.

But a couple of years ago the President of the club at the time tried to get a annual machine gun shoot going.  Several of us were very happy with the idea, but there were also those that were against it - for many stupid reasons and it went nowhere.  It would have been a good fund raiser and recruitment tool for the club.

Funny thing some of those against the idea were service rifle shooters (you know the type of guns that are always effected by Assault Weapons Bans).  Few got the irony.

You think the management board of a GUN RANGE would know the appropriate federal and state laws.

They do, just some people don't like our type of firearms and would rather see the range fail than bring in new members who like to shoot something different.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
AGC is a nice, clean range. When the one range nazi isn't there it can be an enjoyable place to shoot. If the range nazi is there (most of the time..... I think the bastard sleeps there) be prepared to get a lecture about how black rifles are evil and black powder/cowboy guns rule. Yesterday was one of those fine days when he wasn't there and black rifles were plentiful. As a matter of fact EBR's outnumbered anything else towards the end of the day. For the first time I got to feel the world shake as someone was breaking in their new Barrett .50. If my shoulder wasn't used up from shooting K98's and an "03 Springfield, I might have had a go at it myself. Of course my day wouldn't be complete without putting plenty of rounds downrange with my AR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]
First posted this on the thread about Elk Neck. THese are my thoughts from more than 15 years as a member of the AGC (gave it up years ago).

I grew up in Baltimore. For more than 15 years I was a very active member of the AGC & used the Marriotsville range; I was actually the holder of a Junior Range Badge there in the early 1980s (not sure if they still offer such things). I used to shoot the Libby Memorial Junior Smallbore match at Marriotsville/AGC every year & I lettered in Varsity Rifle in high school (McDonogh 1982-86; the program was killed off decades ago).

Having said that, I would not recommend that you even bother with the AGC or the Marriotsville range. Why?

That range has been run for years by range officers (ROs) who are inept. They are the definition of Range Nazis. Everyone is (or should be) interested in safety at the range. However, the AGC ROs are more interested in intimidation and control than in safe shooting. Unless they know you personally, then they WILL come over to cite you for some sort of infraction of the range rules no mater how safe you are at handling your firearm. I long ago became convinced that these guys are on a pathetic power trip and they get off on talking down to you. One example from the early 90s? For years we shot the standard NRA 50 yard small bore target that featured a siter & 4 bulls for score. My club got these for free from the DCM back in the day & I shot them in both practice & in competition. The in ground target holders are designed for their width. All .22 rounds impacted squarely in the berm with these targets.

Yet there is/was a rule to the effect that "you WILL have only one bullseye target centered on the target frame"

-you can guess what happened on several occasions when these "know it all" range nazis had a problem with DCM targets.

That's only one example. I can relate dozens more (and worse). I also take serious objection to the board's closed minded approach to competition. Try asking the board there about any of these types of competition:

-cowboy action/CAS
-IDPA
-USPSA/IPSC
-GSSF (all Glock)
-ICORE (all revolver)
-Steel challenge

Hint: you will get no where. They don't even want to hear it.

I invested a lot of time during my teenage years at that range and I worked many work days there. I long ago gave up any hope of that place changing for the better. If you can turn it around, then you have my thanks. I am not optimistic. I long ago moved to Virginia.

I wish I could recommend a better alternative; mayb York, PA IWLA, but in Balto county, Marriotsville could be a premier facility. Too bad about who runs it and how completely ignorant & closed minded they are.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
DC a lot of your comments are spot on.  The target rule has been softened a bit, so those targets will now get the go ahead.

There have been some good rangemasters there, but some some reason they don't seem to last long.

I have a choice of a 25 minute drive to AGC or a 90 minute drive to West Shore Sportsman's and this year I've opted for the 90 minute drive.

It's a shame the AGC has great facilities, but there is a bit of timidness in the group.  They are expecting everyone to be a complete idiot, so as such they run the place on that assumption, rather than toss the idiots out for doing stupid things.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm, strange, never had a range nazi ride me for anything out there, in fact I've only been asked to properly display my membership badge once in five years,(usually have it pinned to my lower pants leg to keep it out of the way), always enjoy bringing friends out to shoot the day away, they just changed a few of the officers, we were at the meeting when they were voting them in, guess we'll see how it goes.

Can't see driving an hour to go somewhere else, I've done the Delta Pa. thing and just hate that long ass drive to go shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top