Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
I used to be stationed in Florida and we had numerous shooting ranges within 30 min. driving distance, all outdoors.  Around here I am limited to Continental Arms indoor range which, in my opinion, doesn't have the friendliest staff around and I am not a big fan of indoor ranges to begin with.  It appears Elk Neck is my only choice albeit an hour away.  I am sure someone here has been there, I am just looking for the low down.  Is it busy?  Hard to find?  Things like that.  Any pertinent information would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for being off topic because I have never been to Elk Neck, but if you are close to Continental Arms, On Target or Select Fire are 2 other ranges you should consider.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Elk Neck isn't real hard to find, except for the dirt road leading to the range is easy to miss if you aren't paying attention, there is a map to it here:

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=153

There is a 100yd rifle range and a 25yd pistol range. The cost is $10 a day, you fill out a pass and place your money in a steel drop box. (Don't forget to bring a pen)

You have to bring your own target stand and targets, as none are provided. The targets must be centered 48" off of the ground.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to look into joining Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore- range is in Mariottsville. A good choice, though there are some other options. Elk Neck is OK for the price. Getting there via I-95 is a pain, at least from Timonium.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, I'm just not a big fan of indoor ranges but I have wanted to check out Select Fire for a while.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check into that Associated Gun Club.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
www.associatedgunclubs.org is their website. You join one of the 12-15 individual clubs. Some have activities and meetings. Other clubs do not. Marriotsville Metallic Shooters is a good club if you just want range priviledges. Atmosphere concerning all rules is generally strict, not relaxed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Airman,
I'm a member of Ft Meade rifle and pistol club and AGC. If you ever need some trigger time send me an instant message or email. Ft Meade holds shoots about once a month, and you have to get there real early, but it's usually a good time.

wreckdiver
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The folks above have answered most of the questions. Welcome, fellow cellmate.

Things you need to know about Elk Neck:

Bring exact change with you fo the 10 dollar entrance fee. Theres no place to make change if you dont have exactly $10, i learned that the hard way.

Bring everything you would need to shoot, they dont provide anything except the bench. Bring staples, targets, earplugs, etc.

Also you can get a yearly pass for $50.

Hap Baker Firearms Facility is another place I personally go to.

More info: http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/recpark/hapbaker.pdf
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Forget Select Fire, unless you're into weirdo uber-tactical pubescent, scrawny little kids who will will tell you that unless you have a SIG, you don't have a good gun (true story).

If you like paranoid, angry middle age proprietors in camo bitching at you for perceived (imagined) violations of range rules, then Select Fire is for you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking about going there when I finishing build my AR15.

Elk Neck ?

I can just go there in the morning and pull it out and have my ways with it on tuesday morning at 9am ?  that is if I make it there with the map that was display. I will need to bring ten bucks and do I have to have a licence or whatever..or its simple as i think it is ...

if so, I gotta finish that up. sounds like too good to be true ...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:04:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was thinking about going there when I finishing build my AR15.

Elk Neck ?

I can just go there in the morning and pull it out and have my ways with it on tuesday morning at 9am ?  that is if I make it there with the map that was display. I will need to bring ten bucks and do I have to have a licence or whatever..or its simple as i think it is ...

if so, I gotta finish that up. sounds like too good to be true ...

It really is as simple as you think it is. The directions, believe it or not, are actually quite good. As elementary as they look, they will get you there very well.

When you go down the dirt road and into the range, there will be a small wooden booth in front  of you. Inside it are instructions and a slip to fill out for either your $10 dollar all day pass, or a $50 yearly pass. After that you have to put your slip and money into an envelope that they provide and put it into a yellow box nearby. Theres no rangemaster collecting your money, thats why I say you need to bring exact change.

When you pull into the range parking lot, Theres 2 different 'ranges'. The one to the left is the rifle range, and the one to the right is the dedicated pistol range. Also, the skeet station is right next to the rifle range. (if you plan on using skeet, i think you need to bring your own thrower and clays.)

edit: DONT FORGET when you build your target stand, the center of the target must be 4 feet off the ground. Johnny Law does come around every once in a while and check. So make sure you pay and whatnot also.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.associatedgunclubs.org is their website. You join one of the 12-15 individual clubs. Some have activities and meetings. Other clubs do not. Marriotsville Metallic Shooters is a good club if you just want range priviledges. Atmosphere concerning all rules is generally strict, not relaxed.

I grew up in Baltimore. For years I was a very active member of the AGC & used the Marriotsville range; I was actually the holder of a Junior Range Badge there in the early 1980s (not sure if they still offer such things). I used to shoot the Libby Memorial Junior Smallbore match at Marriotsville/AGC every year & I lettered in Varsity Rifle in high school (McDonogh 1982-86; the program was killed off decades ago).

Having said that, I would not recommend that you even bother with the AGC or the Marriotsville range.  Why?

That range has been run for years by range officers (ROs) who are inept.  They are the definition of Range Nazis.  Everyone is (or should be) interested in safety at the range. However, the AGC ROs are more interested in intimidation and control than in safe shooting. Unless they know you personally, then they WILL come over to cite you for some sort of infraction of the range rules no mater how safe you are at handling your firearm. I long ago became convinced that these guys are on a pathetic power trip and they get off on talking down to you.  One example from the early 90s? For years we shot the standard NRA 50 yard small bore target that featured a siter & 4 bulls for score. My club got these for free from the DCM back in the day & I shot them in both practice & in competition. The in ground target holders are designed for their width.  All .22 rounds impacted squarely in the berm with these targets.

Yet there is/was a rule to the effect that "you WILL have only one bullseye target centered on the target frame"

-you can guess what happened on several occasions when these "know it all" range nazis had a problem with DCM targets.  

That's only one example. I can relate dozens more (and worse).  I also take serious objection to the board's closed minded approach to competition. Try asking the board there about any of these types of competition:

-cowboy action/CAS
-IDPA
-USPSA/IPSC
-GSSF (all Glock)
-ICORE (all revolver)
-Steel challenge

Hint: you will get no where. They don't even want to hear it.

I invested a lot of time during my teenage years at that range and I worked many work days there. I long ago gave up any hope of that place changing for the better.  If you can turn it around, then you have my thanks. I am not optimistic.  I long ago moved to Virginia.

I wish I could recommend a better alternative; mayb York, PA IWLA, but in Balto county, Marriotsville is a premier facility. Too bad about who runs it.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget about the Hap Baker landfill range in Westminster.  200 yard range and separate pistol range.  A very laid back atmosphere, and very cool people working there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]
That Hap Baker range doesn't look too far, I live in the Towson area btw.  Any ins and outs of that place worth mentioning?

About Ft. Meade, it would be nice to shoot there in a military atmosphere (what I'm used to).  I'll have to shoot ya a PM wreckdiver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Been several years since I've been to Hap Baker, but I never found anything wrong with the place. Started going there right after it opened & the people were always decent to me & it seemed well run.  Initially, their neighbors gave them grief over the noise & that is why they once had "shooting boxes" for rifles - it was not the fault of Hap Baker Range that it happened. Overall, nice place.

Same goes for Elk Neck. Had a fine time there on the dozen or so occassions I shot there.  Couple of times I went there just at opening time in the morning an had the whole place to my self.  All the rangers I met were good people.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Although I  like AGC on a relative basis, I gotta agree with most of what CBR900 expressed in his post. The managers of the range seem very rigid in their style, and  accomodations to the "new wave"  (if 20 years old and longer is still considered "new") of shooting sports - coyboy action, idpa, ipsc, etc.  have been nil. I can't fathom why these club presidents/Board members who are presumably very interested in shooting sports can be so averse to trying new things/making changes at AGC.
    As CBR900 expressed, enforcement of rules is generally strict. On the positive side, I find the ranges and facilities to be maintened very well- much nicer than Elk Neck. And they are open about 363 days/year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Hap Baker still uses the shooting boxes, I can't imagine what neigbors were complaining, that place is in the middle of nowhere, there is at least a mile radius of nothing.  Some people just  like to complain.  The benches are inside, so you can shoot even if it is raining.  Each lane has it's own spotting scope, which is really a nice touch.  They do provide staplers, and have targets for sale if needed.  There are bathrooms and vending machines available.  I believe they are closed on monday and tuesday, they do have a website, can't remember what it is.  They have a sign that says "no large capacity magazines", but they don't really enforce that rule, just some politcal correctness, even in Carroll County.  They don't allow full auto, I haven't taken any of my suppressors out there yet, not sure how they would react. All in all, it's a pretty good range without the asshole range nazis waiting to pounce on you.  Very laid back, like I said.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That Hap Baker range doesn't look too far, I live in the Towson area btw.  Any ins and outs of that place worth mentioning?

About Ft. Meade, it would be nice to shoot there in a military atmosphere (what I'm used to).  I'll have to shoot ya a PM wreckdiver.

if you like military shooting events, you'll like Ft. Meade. I usually participate in the monthy Practical Rifle/pistol events. If you have a machine gun, theres a monthly range session for you. I really like the long range shooting events from the 600 yard line, but they seem to be fewer and far between. The "tactical" course on range 9 is used by all the local PD's including some feds. Unfortunately, the cops tend to shoot the shit out of the baricades, but it is still a lot more fun then shooting from a bench at paper targets. The next Practical Rifle shoot is scheduled for Sunday March 26th. If you are active or retired military I can probably get you a membership. You are welcome to shoot with me as a guest to see if you like it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I usually participate in the monthy Practical Rifle/pistol events.  

Could you talk more about these?

Are the events open to the public?

Cost?

What about the 'green ammo' requirement?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been a regular at Hap Baker since last year.  The only problem I've found there is that the pistol range is partially open.  Any position beyond 15 feet or so, your target would swing at the slighest breeze.  Kinda ruins your day if you're shooting bullseye.

Of course, we can think of it as motion targets for no additional charge.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I usually participate in the monthy Practical Rifle/pistol events.  

Could you talk more about these?

Are the events open to the public?

Cost?

What about the 'green ammo' requirement?

Thanks.

Hey Forest,

Here is the website for Ft. Meade Rifle & Pistol. The site was created by one of the members. http:/mywebpages.comcast.net/jamarsch/mrpc/

Unfortunately/fortunately, the shoots are not open to the public. Sometimes there are really cool events. Sometimes it ends up being just a bunch of guys with various military type weapons such as AR's, M1A's, and precision bolt guns doing some target shooting. When I first started going about five years ago, the events were much more organized. The Practical Rifle/Pistol events are run by a crusty old salt John Pepper of Pepper Popper target fame. He is getting up in years and his health is sometimes an issue. He taught me some very valuable pistol and fighting tactics that people would pay thousands for at Thunder Ranch or Blackwater. As far as the "green" ammo requirement, that is only on the pistol ranges. Range 1 is the 600 yard range with regular military target frames and someone has to stay and raise/lower target frames on radio command. Range 9 has various shooting postions from about 300 yards in to point blank.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info!  I was hoping the events would be open to the public like the NTI study sessions and the Sanners Lake matches.  A 10 minute drive would be alot easier than a 2 hour drive!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Elk Neck is still closed on Mondays, right?  

I need to sight/break in a new upper early next week.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Forget Select Fire, unless you're into weirdo uber-tactical pubescent, scrawny little kids who will will tell you that unless you have a SIG, you don't have a good gun (true story).

If you like paranoid, angry middle age proprietors in camo bitching at you for perceived (imagined) violations of range rules, then Select Fire is for you.

LOL how true, he'll never get a nickel of mine again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Hap Baker is closed every Monday and Tuesday all year round, and during the winter months is also closed Wednesday and Thursday (until April 1). Can't beat the price, 15 bucks a day or 70 per year and you can shoot all you want, no club to join, no meetings to attend, no sponsor to find, no butt to kiss. Staff is good and they talk to you like you're a human being. They have an outdoor pistol range w/ mechanically retracting targets too. If you can accept the shooting box requirement I think its a great choice.

I like Continental too but they're expensive, 8 bucks per half hour.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Elk Neck is still closed on Mondays, right?  

I need to sight/break in a new upper early next week.  

Yes. Elk Neck is closed on Mondays.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If you can accept the shooting box requirement I think its a great choice.

Generally, you can shoot outside the baffle box if you're practicing a shooting stance.  Lots of people shoot prone even with muzzle loaders that generate a wave of heat and smoke.

If you have a particularly loud bang stick and the range happens to be full, you may be asked to keep it inside the box for the duration.  Had that happen to me when I was shooting my Mosin Nagant M38.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Been several years since I've been to Hap Baker, but I never found anything wrong with the place. Started going there right after it opened & the people were always decent to me & it seemed well run.  Initially, their neighbors gave them grief over the noise & that is why they once had "shooting boxes" for rifles - it was not the fault of Hap Baker Range that it happened. Overall, nice place.

Same goes for Elk Neck. Had a fine time there on the dozen or so occassions I shot there.  Couple of times I went there just at opening time in the morning an had the whole place to my self.  All the rangers I met were good people.  

+1 on Hap Baker, a good place to go.  I do avoid the place just before hunting season.  ;)

+1 on Elk Neck, it has been a while and it is not the easiest place to find but a good place to shoot.  Make sure to bring target stands and targets.

G45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top