Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:04:51 AM EDT
Maryland residents...

I am making a trip down to WV from PA and the shortest track take me through your state.
What are the laws regarding possession of a handgun?
I checked packing.org and it looked like there are no peacable journey laws.

With no permit, am I basically out of luck?
It would seem that even if I have the weapon locked in a toolbox in teh back of the truck with no ammo I am still breaking the law. Is it really that bad down in MD?

At this point I suppose I need to drive a little longer and go directly into WV from PA.
Am I missing something?

Thanks for any input you guys have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:37:36 AM EDT
As long as you're on the way to a shooting event, you should be ok with it locked and stored separate from any ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:49 AM EDT
One piece of advice for travelling in MD: UNLOAD YOUR MAGAZINES.

FACT: it appears to be LAWFUL in MD to have a loaded mag in your car. We have been over this one people; do a search before you disagree.

FACT: Many Maryland Law enforcement officers are under the BELIEF that loaded mag = loaded gun and they will arrest you if they find a loaded mag in your car. I am not saying that they are right or wrong, but that is just what most of them believe.

I personally don't need the hassle. I live in VA; I just unload them prior to reaching the MD line.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macro:
I checked packing.org and it looked like there are no peacable journey laws.

Maryland doesn't need one - there already is a federal law on this - 1986 Gun Owners Protection Act.

It would seem that even if I have the weapon locked in a toolbox in teh back of the truck with no ammo I am still breaking the law. Is it really that bad down in MD?

No of course not.

If you are passing through the state - state law regarding transportation allows for it.

Just as it allows you to transport it as if you were going to the range, or hunting, or to a gunshow, or to display a collection, or going to a FFL/Gunshop/Gunsmith.

Just have the handgund unloaded and in a box/case of some kind. And put that case in a spot where you can't easily reach it. (like behind the seat in a pickup truck).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:28:49 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. My concern is that I am going backpacking...not neccesarily shooting. I am bringing a trail gun. It would be transported in the original factory case, locked and unloaded, with the case being inside my locked toolbox in the bed of the truck.

I am just passing through the state for about 25 miles. Dont plan to stop off anywhere....just get in and then out. My trip starts in my home state where I am licenced to carry, and my destination is WV where unconcealed carry is legal. My understanding is that as long as I am legal on both ends of the trip, I can legally pass through.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:10:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macro:
Thanks for the replies. My concern is that I am going backpacking...not neccesarily shooting. I am bringing a trail gun. It would be transported in the original factory case, locked and unloaded, with the case being inside my locked toolbox in the bed of the truck.

I am just passing through the state for about 25 miles. Dont plan to stop off anywhere....just get in and then out. My trip starts in my home state where I am licenced to carry, and my destination is WV where unconcealed carry is legal. My understanding is that as long as I am legal on both ends of the trip, I can legally pass through.

You're fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:32:17 AM EDT
Top Top