Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
Anybody know of a good pistolsmith in the area?

I want to get some trigger work done on my series 80 colt 1911.

Links?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ellicot Arms just off RT100 in Ellicot City.  his shop is run out of his basement.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are in Montgomery County, try John Rhines. [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on John Rhines
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
First choice.  Pete Single.  However, I believe he's backlogeed and not taking any work, BUT he's hands down the best around here (to give an idea of how well regarded he is, Larry Vickers and Chuck Rogers farm work out to him)

Second choice.  Al Marvel.  He's one of the founding members of the APG and the only guy Pete Single would recommend.  I would have NO hesitation using Marvel for trigger work.

Rich
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
RE: Al Marvel.   I was pleased with some 1911 work Al did for me. However, he is getting up in years and only accepts a limited amount of work.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ellicot Arms just off RT100 in Ellicot City.  his shop is run out of his basement.

ReallY, in Ellicott City?  Huh, never heard of him.  My Dad (W. Balto Co.) needs some new sights on his SA 1911, and shipping it would be a hassle.  What sort of work does he do?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Tried contacting him a few weeks ago and his recording said he isn't accepting work at this time. He is busy with government and LE work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ReallY, in Ellicott City?  Huh, never heard of him.  My Dad (W. Balto Co.) needs some new sights on his SA 1911, and shipping it would be a hassle.  What sort of work does he do?  

He used to specialize in 1911s.  He has some magazine writeups on his wall when the shop was over near Centenial Lake (now he's close to Rt100, just a couple miles from I95).

I've had him do work sight work on some Ruger handguns (semi-auto and revolvers).  He also seems to be into Coybow action shooting stuff.  He's worked on 3 of my handguns at different times, if I needed a gunsmith I wouldn't hesistate to go back to him again.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have knowledge or experience with Dave Stancill in the Belair area?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess you can consider him local (in Virginia), but I had a great experience with Doug Bates.  He runs handgunrepairshop.com.

I had come across a .32 S&W revolver that my grandmother had stored in the basement over many years.  Needless to say, the thing was a wreck - rusted and the whole nine yards.

Doug repaired it, refinished it and it is now good as new.  I would do business with him again in a heartbeat.

Chris.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top