Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:25:49 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy a suppressor. Where can I do it around here. Prefereably without traveling too far. I'm in AA county, right near BWI.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
Christian Soldier - Harford Rd
Duffy's Guns - Butler, MD
Valley Gun - Harford Rd.
Tactical Innovations - Glen Burnie

Those are the only ones I know...there has to be more.

NOW, the real question is - "Where can I purchase my suppressor and receive some customer service?" - That has yet to answered by anyone in MARYLAND!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:42:29 AM EDT
Clayton Otto is a C-III dealer. I've done several regular transfers through Clayton and he's been great to deal with. I only recently realized he did C-III as well. He's right by Empire Towers in GB, only a few minutes away from you.

Select Fire (Holsum Way, GB) is also C-III and I've used them for a suppressor, but I'd much rather do business with Clayton.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:30:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eshell:
Clayton Otto is a C-III dealer. I've done several regular transfers through Clayton and he's been great to deal with. I only recently realized he did C-III as well. He's right by Empire Towers in GB, only a few minutes away from you.

Select Fire (Holsum Way, GB) is also C-III and I've used them for a suppressor, but I'd much rather do business with Clayton.

So how you just tell Clayton which suppressor you want? Does he order it direct from Gemtech or AAC or whatever company makes it or does he go through a "dealer"?

I know Duffy's and I think Christian Soldier are "dealers" for Gemtech or AAC, I forgt which one, maybe both. So if you go through Clayton does he just handle your transfer and have to "buy" it from a dealer or does he go directly through the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:13:24 AM EDT
Clayton IS a/the "dealer", and I don't think there is such a thing as a "distributor", "jobber" or "wholesaler" in this case. AFAIK, it all comes straight from the manufacturer. If the dealer wants to stock it, he buys it ahead of time, if not, he'll order it for you.

You should be able to give Clayton a call, stop in and set up the purchase of any suppressor you'd like to get. He will probably want the item paid for prior to beginning his part of the work, which I believe is SOP with just about all of them for special orders.

I don't think Clayton stocks any, though he does have a few F/A's laying around. When we talked about them (.223 cans) briefly back around X-mas, he suggested a Jett, so he may be pushing those. I didn't push for details, since I was/am broke at the time.

Typically, a *new* suppressor will come straight from the manufacturer, and there will not be a double-transfer as it seems you are concerned with. A used unit *will* have to go from the current owner to the C-III dealer to the new owner, IIRC.

When I bought mine (through a different dealer), I ignored the 'very similar' item he had in stock and had him order one straight from AAC. I had to pay in full up front, and the unit was ordered. After an - - - - - extremely - - - - long wait (the dealer said it was the mfr's fault, the mfr said it was the dealer - why I'd rather deal with Clayton), it finally arrived and I could then begin the Form 4 stuff. The other problem I had with that dealer was that he stated that we would get the S/N of the special-ordered unit ahead of delivery and so we could file the Form 4 early - WRONG.

The dealer gave me everything I needed to get started, and I went to Pikesville for prints, then dropped everything at Jessup for the background check/CLEO sign-off. When it all came back, I took it and the photos (Ritz - pre-digital days) to the dealer, with a check to ATF for $200, and he sent it off. Didn't take long after that and I had it in hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:45:45 AM EDT
That's pretty much exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Eshell.

So does Clayton actually have a "shop" that he works out of? I thought he did everything out of his house or something.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:31:50 PM EDT
He does have a shop, right off Crain Highway. He has some various long guns, pistols and F/A stuff displayed for sale, as well as some parts, supplies and a few curios.

The entrance to the business park he is in is just north of, and across from, Empire towers, on the west side of Crain. You'll pull in and just keep pulling right until you're nose-in to his building. He's on the second floor and can give you better directions himself. Not sure if his business name is on the door.

He operates it part time - still has deputy duties to do during business hours. He is open by appointment and has been very flexible for me, and also has scheduled hours on Saturday afternoons, 1pm to 5 pm IIRC.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:35:34 PM EDT
One other thing, you don't have to go all the way to Pikesville for prints, you can have them done at Jessup on a certain day/time slot. The downside is that Jessup does have limited hours and the guys at Pikesvilles supposedly do it better, due to better (optical) equipment.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:35:23 PM EDT

One other thing, you don't have to go all the way to Pikesville for prints, you can have them done at Jessup on a certain day/time slot. The downside is that Jessup does have limited hours and the guys at Pikesvilles supposedly do it better, due to better (optical) equipment.

What the hell kind of pictures do they need? It's not just a regular passport photo or something?

I'll have to get in touch with Clayton. I'm in class all day all this week so I'll probably give him a shout next week.

Thanks again Ed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:18:32 AM EDT
"Prints" are "fingerprints", not picture prints.

FWIW, at Jessup, they "ink" print you and the quality of the work will vary with the technician, sometimes being rejected by the FBI as smeared, illegible, etc.. This will cost you time on your transfer wait.

The prints at Pikesville are digitally rendered, taken with your fingers lying on a clear glass plate, and there is no ink, no smear and a 99% chance they'll be acceptable to the FBI.

They DO normally come out fine at Jessup, but I have heard time and again that when people get their prints rejected, 99% of them had been done at Jessup. It's basically a gamble of convenience/drive time versus potentially increased confusion and subsequent delays.

Your pictures can be "passport photo" style pictures. They charged me $15 at the local Ritz Camera shop for two pics when I did mine, but you can take your own with your digital camera these days. Your Form 4 paperwork will outline the pic requirements, but roughly speaking, they have to be against a light background, full face, no hat or non-prescription glasses, and printed on regular photo paper.

I have a small pack of Kodak photo paper that works with an ink-jet printer, 4 x 6 sheets, that can be used and cropped as needed. If you need a couple, say so, I'll send them to you, I may still have your addy around somewhere.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:42:22 AM EDT

"Prints" are "fingerprints", not picture prints.

... I feel stupid.

So when you say Pikesville and Jessup, are you talking about a police station or some "shop" that does prints for a price or something?

Pikesville... that's a good hike. What, about a 45-60 minute drive from GB?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:02:03 AM EDT
No need to feel stupid, it's about as complicated a way to pay an unconstitutional "tax" as there ever was . . .

"Pikesville" = "Maryland Criminal Justice Information System ("MD-CJIS")".

Located at 6776 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore Maryland 21215.
Yeah, it IS a hike, but not much more than 40 minutes if it's not 'rush hour'.
Take Reisterstown Road south from the beltway, maybe two miles down. It's a large building on the right side as you head south - remind you of a big old-time department store from outside.
IIRC, prints are done on the third floor, but you'll have plenty of supervision if you appear confused or disoriented . . .

"Jessup" = "Maryland State Police, Waterloo Barracks, Division of Licensing".

Located at 7751 Washington Boulevard, Jessup, Maryland 20794.
From up your way, take Rt 1 south from I-195 and head down past Rt-100. The MSP barracks is on the left, just north of Rt 175. 410-799-0190 for more info/ fingerprint hours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:21:35 AM EDT
+1 for Clayton. He's good people to work with. I've done several transfers through him and he's always been great to work with. He'll walk you right through the process.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:02:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
I'm looking to buy a suppressor. Where can I do it around here. Prefereably without traveling too far. I'm in AA county, right near BWI.

Pathfinder, what kind of can are you looking for? I'm thinking about getting a suppressor also, but it doesn't seem like any of the local C3 dealers keep any in stock. I'd love to get a look at the actual suppressor I'm purchasing rather than waiting forever for the maunfacturer to transfer it to the dealer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:40:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wreckdiver:

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Pathfinder, what kind of can are you looking for? I'm thinking about getting a suppressor also, but it doesn't seem like any of the local C3 dealers keep any in stock. I'd love to get a look at the actual suppressor I'm purchasing rather than waiting forever for the maunfacturer to transfer it to the dealer.

I'm probably looking to get a Gemtech Trinity. Look on their website... they have a few Maryland dealers listed. I might go to one of those places to look at it... then buy it through Clayton.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:27:00 AM EDT
Cool. Let me know if you find any dealers that have theses goodies in stock. I'd like to get an AAC M42000 or an Evolution 9 for my Glock, but can't find any locally for sale. Knowing AAC's rep for taking forever to ship stuff, I'd rather find one in stock and start the paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:40:43 PM EDT
The Armory in Annapolis (right by the DoubleT diner) is a Class III dealer. I've seen suppressors for sale there, Don't know if they have what you're looking for though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Doucheatron3000:
The Armory in Annapolis (right by the DoubleT diner) is a Class III dealer. I've seen suppressors for sale there, Don't know if they have what you're looking for though.

They can order anything but they stock AAC suppressors. I went today to check things out and I must say my opinion of the place is higher than the first impression I got.

The guy who (I think) owns the place seems pretty knowledgeable, but he also seems a little full of himself. He has a PS90 on the shelf. I asked him what the price tag was on it and he said $3,000. I didn't hide my shock and he started defending his position by stating that he was the only guy in the area who had one and he could pretty much set the price on them based on that and the fact that prces are higher in MD because there aren't a lot of shops around competing with one another that would normally drive prices down due to competition.

He also said a few things about how if Hillary gets into office it'll be good for business.

So, while he does have a decent selection (better than I originally thought or saw) he also doesn't mind pricing a little higher. So in terms of prices he doesn't compete with On Target. But I'm not sure he out prices Bart's.

I took everything he was saying with a grain of salt, but he does seem to know his guns so I give him credit there.

I was obviously there mostly to find out about suppressors. He carries the Evolution-9 and really stands by the company and their product. I told him I plan on swapping it between my Glock and Cx4. He mentioned he has a guy who can do the barrel threading for the Storm. He said the guy uilt a jog that he uses that spins the entire receiver for threading. I don't know squat about machining but I would have thought building a barrel wrench and simply removing the barrel to thread it would be easier, but like I said... not my forte'.

When I asked about swapping between the Glock and the Cx4 he said you just take it off one and put it on the other. According to number 5 and 7 of AAC's FAQ that doesn't seem to be the case but I don't know for sure. When I mentioned what I remember reading he pretty much said it was crap and that he's sold the can to people who have done just what I plan on doing and have never complained about anything. Not sure why AAC would say it if it wasn't the important.

He said by having the Evolution 9 in stock he's saving people 60 or so days waiting.

Anyway... while I was there I picked up a Jarvis threaded Glock 17 barrel. I'll probably start ordering in a month or so. Under estimated some costs and overspent on some items recently.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:03:24 AM EDT
Thanks Pathfinder. How did the AAC compare to the Gemtech you were thinking about? What was the price for the Evo ? I'm kind of torn on which way to go for a suppressor. I really want an AAC m4200 for the AR, but that limits me to just 223 and the occasional .22. The Evo 9 would be kick ass, just because of how quiet it is, but then, I'm limited strictly to 9mm. Right now I'm kind of wavering back to just getting a .22 can because I have many options in that caliber and I could use it on my Glock 17 w/Advantage Arms conversion kit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:31:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wreckdiver:
Thanks Pathfinder. How did the AAC compare to the Gemtech you were thinking about? What was the price for the Evo ? I'm kind of torn on which way to go for a suppressor. I really want an AAC m4200 for the AR, but that limits me to just 223 and the occasional .22. The Evo 9 would be kick ass, just because of how quiet it is, but then, I'm limited strictly to 9mm. Right now I'm kind of wavering back to just getting a .22 can because I have many options in that caliber and I could use it on my Glock 17 w/Advantage Arms conversion kit.

I've not had the chance to compare the Gemtech to the AAC beyond website specs.
I'm pretty sure the Armory's price on the AAC at the Armory is +/-$750, but because they stock them in the store you're not paying any trasfer fees or waiting for it to come to the store before pulling the serial number to start you paperwork.

I'm now leaning toward the Evo, but I'm waiting to confirm some things that the guy at the Armory was saying about swapping the can between a G17 and the Cx4.

With 9mm, if I understand it correctly, you can fire .38 through the Evo-9 as well. But putting an Evo-9 on something like a Sig P232 might seem a bit awkward/excessive.

I'm planning on starting with the 9mm and swapping it between the G17 and Cx4. Depending on a potential pending "settlement" I'm planning on expanding to a .223 as well. If I understand it correctly I sould be able to put a .22LR conversion into a suppressed AR upper and use it that way as well.

Not sure that's helping you make up your mind much.

I think if you ask the guy at the Armory really really nice he might be able to demo the AAC for your.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT
Thanks. I talked to the shop owner for the Armory today at the PG county gunshow. He had an M42000, and wasn't sure on the price, but said it was"like 8-850ish including the AAC flashhider" (required for the mount). He told me AAC sells the mount and can seperately. I asked about the Evo 9mm and he said he only had one in stock and it was back in the shop. I asked about the Jarvis threaded barrels for the Glock and he told me he didn't have any, but could order some. I don't think he cuts any breaks on prices as he was asking $3000 for an FN PS90.

About .22's through the .223 can AAC says "yes", but I've been told .22's will gunk up the baffles pretty quick because of the wax lubricant. I would imagine the blast from a 223 would blow that crap right out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:23:55 PM EDT
Yeah, he had just gotten a shipment in of the Jarvis barrels... I guess the only G17 one that wasn't already paid for by another customer is now on my Glock... and it looks frickin sweet.

The price on that PS90 is outrageous but I guess since you don't see many around and because there's always some chump willing to pay a premium price to be the first kid on the block to have the latest coolness he'll get what he's asking.

Like I said... he seems like an ok guy. I was a little hard on that place a while back so this is about the closest you'll see me to eating crow. I'm not saying he's the best businessman or gun shop around, but he's not the worse either.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:34:41 AM EDT
Thanks for buying the last Jarvis barrel. Guess that means I'll have to get the m4200 instead. As far as shop personalities go, he seemed OK. I'll give them credit,they do stock some cool stuff, even if I'll never be able to afford it. The CQB Barrett 50 was kind of cool. When I told the owner he carried some cool stuff, he said "thanks" which is better than the "I know" that you might get from some other local dealers. Keep me posted of your C3 progress.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:27:04 AM EDT
You can always order the Jarvis or any other threadd barrel online. Not like you need anything special to get one in the mail.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:14:23 PM EDT
I know, just bustin your balls. Another thing that sent me off course was a beautiful early M1a that I saw yesterday. Just when I was all set to drop some $$ on a can, I had to get distracted by this salty old battle rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:34:11 AM EDT
It's so easy to get distracted isn't it. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I actually have the money to spend.

Ironically, I had the money to spend and I went to a VA gun show I didn't see squat that looked all that interesting to me. Maybe because pistols and assault rifles are pretty much pointless to look at unless you want to pay a transfer fee just to transfer it 30 miles up the road into MD.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:36:06 AM EDT
Is his shop Otto's Police Supply?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:50:59 PM EDT
Yes it is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:34:12 PM EDT
Cool, I'll try to call him tomorrow. I'm getting my first CIII firearm shortly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:36:07 PM EDT by DCChris]
A couple of notes:

Tactical Innovations is not in Glen Burnie any more. Craig Wheatley moved to Idaho.

Sam Schneider at Practical Solutions (same place Craig was located in Glen Burnie) can do transfers. I currently have a can in transfer from him. He has lots of suppressors in stock too. He is a good guy. He can order any suppressor you want. I think if you buy it elsewhere and have him transfer it, he wants $100. I never paid that since I buy directly from him. http://practicalpage.com/suppress.html

Wayne Nowicki also does transfers right next door at Select Fire. $100 if it doesn't come from him. I have never had any problems with him either. The nice thing about Wayne is he will let you shoot your can while the F4 paperwork goes through. http://www.selectfire.com/showindex.html

Continental Arms will also transfer C3. Last time I checked, they wanted $150.
Top Top